Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1979 450SLC Automatic
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I'm new to the forum and just trying to help my mom out by selling my dad's old 450SLC. My parents are in their 80's, the car has been parked for several years and my dad is no longer funtional... so hence me trying to sell it for them. I don't know much about the car, but this is what I know.
  • 1979 450SLC hardtop
  • Did run before it was parked
  • Was newly painted before it was parked, but has since been weathered by the New Mexico climate
  • Tires are now rotted
  • Glass is all good
  • Interior is decent, but also weathered
  • Body is straight and good
If anyone can provide a ballpark figure for selling I would appreciate it. I don't really know what it's worth... but do know it requires work.
The VIN#: 10702412024609
  • 107= chassis designation
    024= model – 450SLC, coupe
    12= left hand drive automatic transmission
    024609= serial VIN range
Here are a few pictures if that helps...
Just looking to get some help on what it's worth so we can sell.
Thanks,
Kurt

Attachments

·
Registered
1989 560SL
253 Posts
I will try to give you some advice and imput. First, I will mention dollars and then describe the pros and cons of your car.

1. I think the range for your car today, in hook up and tow away condition is $1500-2500. Realistic to kinda high

Looks like it was pretty close to top of the line when new. I think it has premium wood. I would say burl, but I am not a wood expert. Some others on here are. Alloy wheels, metallic paint and leather seat covers are on higher end. I think that is an Alpine stereo that was a cool aftermarket item to put in the cars during the "Miami Vice" era.

The cons are that the interior is dried out and surfaces are cracked. No way around that in NM. The back glass, although intact, is delaminating at the bottom. that is the cloudy area at the bottom. It is caused by microbes getting in between the layers of the laminated glass. No way to remove them that I am aware of. The paint has clear peeling that is not in a factory paint pattern. Tells me it has been repainted (I'm guessing overall). The crack below the back glass in the panel between the deck lid and rear glass that moves from the front to rear of the car is indicative that the panel has been painted and rust has started just underneath the back glass rubber. Assuming it ran when parked, then it is minimum (based on experience) flush gas tank, replace fuel pump (I don't know off hand if this SLC has one or two) fuel filters, flush to injectors, plugs, oil cylinders on top, battery and hope for best when cranking. Transmission and brakes are other immediate care areas before we get into AC, etc.

Hope this helps.Trying to give honest opinion without being a buzzkill. SLCs are still a tough sell, IMO, because people still want the top down driving. The advantage for you is that maybe 10% of all 107s were SLC, and they stopped at 1980-81 IIRC. They were also scrapped at a higher level than the roadsters and I'm guessing maybe 1 in 20 107s still around are SLC. Legend has it they are coveted more in Europe and being repatriated.

·
Registered
1979 450SLC Automatic
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jeff! That is exactly the kind of input I was looking for. I was thinking of asking $2500, but based on your input I believe that is probably too high. I'll look at the car again and re-evaluate what I think it's worth, but it will most likely be more like the minimum value you suggested.

I will try to give you some advice and imput. First, I will mention dollars and then describe the pros and cons of your car.

1. I think the range for your car today, in hook up and tow away condition is $1500-2500. Realistic to kinda high

Looks like it was pretty close to top of the line when new. I think it has premium wood. I would say burl, but I am not a wood expert. Some others on here are. Alloy wheels, metallic paint and leather seat covers are on higher end. I think that is an Alpine stereo that was a cool aftermarket item to put in the cars during the "Miami Vice" era.

The cons are that the interior is dried out and surfaces are cracked. No way around that in NM. The back glass, although intact, is delaminating at the bottom. that is the cloudy area at the bottom. It is caused by microbes getting in between the layers of the laminated glass. No way to remove them that I am aware of. The paint has clear peeling that is not in a factory paint pattern. Tells me it has been repainted (I'm guessing overall). The crack below the back glass in the panel between the deck lid and rear glass that moves from the front to rear of the car is indicative that the panel has been painted and rust has started just underneath the back glass rubber. Assuming it ran when parked, then it is minimum (based on experience) flush gas tank, replace fuel pump (I don't know off hand if this SLC has one or two) fuel filters, flush to injectors, plugs, oil cylinders on top, battery and hope for best when cranking. Transmission and brakes are other immediate care areas before we get into AC, etc.

Hope this helps.Trying to give honest opinion without being a buzzkill. SLCs are still a tough sell, IMO, because people still want the top down driving. The advantage for you is that maybe 10% of all 107s were SLC, and they stopped at 1980-81 IIRC. They were also scrapped at a higher level than the roadsters and I'm guessing maybe 1 in 20 107s still around are SLC. Legend has it they are coveted more in Europe and being repatriated.

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
8,685 Posts
Be worth more if it had decent Euro bumpers and Euro headlights.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
32,775 Posts
Be worth more if it had decent Euro bumpers and Euro headlights.
Should he run out and source those, install them and then come back for a new opinion?

·
Registered
95 SL600
480 Posts
Then it wouldn't be an SLC, would it. Remember, the SLC cars have their own substantial following and were the chassis selected by M-B for rally development.
Yea it’s as silly as the reply I quoted about it being worth more if it had euro bumpers and headlights. Both are useless replies because both won’t happen.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
12,618 Posts
Too bad that you could only get about $2k, but a complete paint job, new tires, battery, fuel system cleanout etc would quickly run up a new owners cost. Those rear windows may be hard to source, if it needs replacing. Might cost $5 or $6k? So say $8k total to get in 1/2 decent shape?

However, a handy guy who doesn't care if result is not show quality might want to buy it and get it going for much less. Fonzi - where are you :)

Good Luck. I am sure someone will buy it. Start with $2500. Buyer will try and low-ball you anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts