Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1996 C280 and 2010 E350 4-Matic
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have the possibility to buy a 1996 C 280 that is owned by an elderly lady (96 years old) that I know. The car is in great cosmetic condition having always been garaged. It has 12,000 miles on it.

What would be a fair price to both of us?

Please give your opinion. In matters like this, the greater number of replies is helpful as I will probably just average them out.:confused::confused:

·
2.3-16 | A3 2.0T | 986 Boxster
5,048 Posts
Where's your location? Since you have a C180 in your past I'm guessing you may not be in the US. Prices are different for these cars depending on your location. If it's in the US I wouldn't pay more than $5000.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point about location - I am in the New York area. As for the C180, I owned that when I lived in Paris.

·
Registered
1995 C280 (165K mi)
1,595 Posts
you should update your profile it avoids us form wasting time asking you basic questions.

i think 4500-5000 is fair but i would go as far as 6500 if the condition is truly close to perfect.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advise so far - around $5k seems fair - I updated my location as suggested, and am concerned about what may emerge once the car is driven daily. While a very low mileage car is very appealing, one that has obviously sat for a long while - albeit in a clean location - might have a few teething problems once it is put into daily use.

I bought 18 months ago a 2003 C320 Sport (W203) that only had 26k miles. I guess I was lucky, as nothing major has come up ....

·
Registered
1995 C280 (165K mi)
1,595 Posts
you are lucky to be finding these low mileage cars. the things that will give away are plastics and the rubbers in the car as they become brittle and such over time. other than that most other things should not be bad. you may need to change out the fluids if they have been sitting idle too long.

most women drivers are not always good on their cars, in my experience they f-up the cars due to neglect and certain lack of knowledge. they may drive a little slower and not get too many speeding tickets, but they make up for it by putting coolant in the engine b/c they don't know the difference!

but i would buy that car in a heart beat if i can get it blessed by an indy mech. let us know how much you finally get it for and what the actual condition is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts