Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy a 1979 4 door diesel. Red with red hubcaps. Manual transmission. 290,000 miles. Body is straight, almost no rust except for rear bottom body seam in door wells, and bottom of the trunk wells (lower areas on each side). Fenders, doors are rust free. Looks like new inside. Runs good.

Any ideas on what I should pay? Never bought one of these, so maybe that's a good deal, and those rust areas are typical.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
'77 6.9, 74 240D, 96 Ram 5.9L Cummins
2,654 Posts
Pictures would be nice but I would say $1500 or so. You'd need a closer inspection of the drivetrain and a checklist of everything to estimate the value.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

So I guess $600 would be a steal... :)

It's nice. I may be able to get photos tomorrow. It seems like it was taken care of.

I probably have to decide yes or no tomorrow, or someone else will own it! ;)

·
Registered
'77 6.9, 74 240D, 96 Ram 5.9L Cummins
2,654 Posts
Yeah if it's a running car for $600 then it's tough to go wrong unless it spontaneously catches on fire...or smells like manure for some reason.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Checked the car out today in depth. Runs extremely well, and the interior is almost new, BUT the floors are rotten in many places and some daylight can be seen.

So it's basically a parts car. :(

·
Registered
85 300D, 84 300D, 05 Mustang GT Vert, 11 VW JSW TDI, 95 Del Sol, 88 IROC, 95 Villager, 04 Wrangler
602 Posts
I had one that ended up the same way. It's still around contributing to others. So sad. I know new floors are available in Germany, not sure how much to import them though.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is it common to see that kind of rust on these? It really is a shame because almost all of the panels were free of rust and dents, the fender wells were great, and the paint was fantastic.

I have $250 on the table as an offer if it isn't sold to someone unsuspecting first. So I may yet end up with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts