Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to install that 8.3" flip out DVD nav system as a secondary system in the glove box but it may not fit the regular glove box. Question is, if I remove glove box do I have an inch of room behind it to play around with? Not sure whats directly behind there. Anyone?

·
Registered
2000 and 2003 W220 S500
930 Posts
Behind the glove box are your air filters. There might be enough room, but you would need to put something that can be easily removed (relatively) so that you can change your filters when you need to.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Can you really install an aftermarket unit in the S500's? Everything seems integrated like the time, navigation, etc... I've always wanted to upgrade to a double din navigation unit.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Can you really install an aftermarket unit in the S500's? Everything seems integrated like the time, navigation, etc... I've always wanted to upgrade to a double din navigation unit.
Well, here's the problem. My 04 S500 needs tele aid upgrade which is like $2k, needs a phone puck and a bluetooth module yet more $$$$$$$$, and an ipod integration, then I need a reaview cam meaning I have to buy a module that integrates to command, Sat radio more $$$$$$$$$. Did I mention the nav is ok but most aftermarket nav systems puts mercedes nav to shame. The street names are called out as you approach and the address is mentioned "left or right" instead of "you have reached your destination." I just bought a 2010 nav DVD for $249 and my neighborhood is still not on it despite being built in 2006. Memphis to Atlanta, you take 78E to 20E, Mercedes nav does not recognize 78E so it takes you through Nashville.

When all is said and done, I spend near $5k to upgrade command. Meanwhile and aftermarket unit with 8.3" flip out monitor, rear cam, bluetooth, sat radio, hd radio, tv tunner, ipod integration and more for under $500 and all I need is the audio to integrate into command. Works like a charm. The room in the back of my glove box is for running my wires. I've never used and will not be using my glove box.

·
Registered
2000 and 2003 W220 S500
930 Posts
There are 4 screws holding the glove box in and they are all located inside the glove box. Pull it out and take a look for yourself. It's about a 5 minute job.

The $500 system you are planning to install, how are you planning to integrate it?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is a stand alone system that I just added. Everything is linked to this unit then the audio from the unit integrated into my command through the aux input created from bypassing the cd changer so it sounds great and clean.

2 hours later and this is what it looks like, I now have to make a molding to cover all the open spaces and make it look professional. Video quality is very good, 800X480, bluetooth sounds good, the sound is as clean as playing a cd. Everything works on it well so now I just have to cover up all wires and modules.

Best of all with the glovebox closed, you cant tell it's there.

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 and 2003 W220 S500
930 Posts
It looks good. Do you get to keep steering wheel controls at all? Aside from volume, can you change tracks via the up and down buttons?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It looks good. Do you get to keep steering wheel controls at all? Aside from volume, can you change tracks via the up and down buttons?
Steering wheel controls still control command. This system came with it's own remote that controls everything on it. I have enjoyed every second am in my car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts