Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
I wonder what it would cost to get that 300SE from CA to here? :angel
Well, call it 2,000 miles. So if a one-way ticket costs about $300, and you get 20 mpg with a tailwind, then that's 100 gallons of gas, too. Add three nights in a hotel, and I'm guessing it's $300 + $300 + $300. So about a grand.

Probably cost that much to transport it with a common carrier. :wink

·
Registered
8,893 Posts
And if you decide the do "The Drive" here's my fingers crossed for a safe uneventful journey with the only stops being for gas, groceries, or sleep :wink

·
Registered
679 Posts
I drove Ingrid from Burbank to Bremerton WA with no issues. Total expenditure on the trip was right at $500, much cheaper than the quotes I got to ship it. Not sure what kind of costs go into shipping a car, but it doesn't make much sense that it cost significantly less to fly somewhere and drive back, especially a relatively thirsty car like a 560. I suppose you get a better deal the farther you're shipping it though. If it's the same or cheaper to ship, that makes sense, but doesn't make it a no-brainer. Someone I knew from the Navy had a 60's Porsche, passed down from his father, that was a total loss because the truck hauling it wrecked. He got some reimbursement, but the fine print might leave you with little or nothing if you're not careful of who you're dealing with. The fly-and-drive approach can work very well in a case like this when you're dealing with a trusted forum member (probably not a good idea with just any eBay car, obviously).

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've done the fly and drive thing on more than one occasion. Bought my M5 in in Loveland, Colorado and brought it back to Tennessee. Bought an asc/McLaren Mustang in Michigan and brought it back to Maryland (when I lived there). Both trips went great.

The Reatta I bought for my wife in Scottsdale and brought back to Maryland... well, almost back to Maryland... OK, I only made it to North Little Rock, Arkansas, to tell you the truth. Being slammed into by a semi is most definitely not on the list of things I would like to do again... :eek

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Ive done both, had cars shipped and driven them. Unfortunately half the time they were shipped there was shipping damage . So I would recommend driving .

This car is ready for a road trip and is at home on the interstate at ever so slightly above the speed limit ;) and I would have no Concerns about it leaving on a cross country trip tomorrow .

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
When getting shipping quotes, get it absolutely guaranteed in writing that the car will be loaded on a truck, not just driven by some dude. Don't be afraid to ask about this specifically. Often the cheapest shipping quotes come from "shippers" that hire "drivers" (either kids or hobos who want to get somewhere cheaply) to drive your car on the interstate and eat/drink/smoke in it, shift it into reverse at 80 MPH, whatever else.

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
I had a 1962 300SE shipped from the Bay Area (Milpitas, CA) to my current location in Florida back in the early 2000s. The car got picked up at a friend's house, at which time the driver got extensive instructions, both verbally and written, on how to lower the suspension so they could strap the car down properly and not damage the air suspension.

When the car arrived in Florida the suspension was so low that we had to use blocks to raise the body up enough to see it from dragging on the ground.

Some asshat had reloaded the car and not lowered the suspension when they strapped the car down for the second time, and in doing so, blew out the rear air bags.

I took pictures and made a claim, but it went nowhere. The contracts are pretty air tight about damage, and there was no way to prove it was done by the driver/loader.

Grrr.

First and last time I shipped a car.

Dan

Attachments

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
Add to that, if buying from an Ebay seller, they will claim that any discrepancy between car and description is because the delivery driver damaged the car / stole parts.

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
Add to that, if buying from an Ebay seller, they will claim that any discrepancy between car and description is because the delivery driver damaged the car / stole parts.
In my case I was present when the car was purchased in SFO, I just had it moved to a friend's ranch in Milpitas so that we could transfer numerous parts from a parts car before shipping it.

As for buying on eBay, there is no way I would buy a car remotely, eBay or otherwise, without personally inspecting it or having someone I trusted inspect it for me. Too many opportunities for things to go south without any recourse.

Here is a picture of the car with it's donor car. Quite the story behind this one:

1962 300SE

Dan

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,888 Posts
I took a chance and bought mine sight unseen off EBAY. I talked tho the gentleman about 20 times on the phone trying to trip him up until he won me over. When the car arrived it was way nicer than he led me to believe. Believe me, I was kicking myself again and again during the week it took to get here thinking I should have known better and would deserve it if I was ripped off.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
When I bought my '85 Euro 200t 7 years ago I drove it all the way home, about 3 kms down the road with no problems.:wink:wink

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Tusabes,
PM me about the 300se please. your mailbox is full

You'll have to email me directly as I have old messages in my pm box I don't want to delete , and the system won't even let me send pm with a full box

My email is
cutlass AT gmail Dot com

81 - 95 of 95 Posts
About this Discussion
94 Replies
26 Participants
tusabes
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing