Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
600SL
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a buddy in the car biz that ran across a 91 Brabus SL.

It's a gray market car, it has an Arizona title and has passed state inspection so there is no concern with title or plates, it has 29,000 miles, hard top included, it's got a body kit, BIG wheels, custom interior and it's lightly modded under the hood which includes a sweet exhuast system.

A little background, my buddy wholesales highline cars all over the country and comes across all sorts of interesting stuff. He says the car is a winner. He would of kept it for himself but he has a 91 SL with a full AMG treatment that he found with only 4k on the clock.

What's this car worth? What's a US spec stock 91 SL with 29k worth?

I've already said yes, we just haven't discussed price yet.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1995 sl 500 red/black w/renntech wheels
686 Posts
If the interior is in good condition and the body is in good condition also i say between 16-22.

·
Registered
600SL
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The interior looks good except that they moved the AC controls into the armrest console so that 2 head units could be mounted in the main console. I will remount them into the dash and put a near stock looking radio back into the radio slot.

Exterior looks good too. Can't wait to see it washed. We had a dust storm and it messed up the detail it just went through.

I'll try to attach some pix.

Attachments

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
8,891 Posts
It looks like the lights have been upgraded to xenons too.

If the 29K miles claim is genuine and you don't pay too much then you have yourself a very nice motor car :thumbsup:

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
trx440 said:
What's this car worth? What's a US spec stock 91 SL with 29k worth?
That's real low mileage for that year. Hard to say what it's worth. But eBay may be a starting point.
eBay - Cars Trucks on eBay Motors

Find out what Brabus added to the car. Ex: engine, brakes, etc. besides the exhaust.

·
Registered
1995 sl 500 red/black w/renntech wheels
686 Posts
Correct me if im wrong but i think it has the fallowing upgrades.
Lowered
wheels and tires
grill upgrade
Headlight upgrade
1999+Upgrade
bumper spoiler
Barabus rear spoiler
Exhaust
1999+ bumper
The tires look like they are allot wider then stock.
Looks good its should be between 18-24
now With all the upgrades.

·
Undercover Moderator
2002 SL BRABUS 5.8 Silver Arrow; 1992 SL BRABUS B11; 1996 S Class diplomat ride
5,348 Posts
Sorry, I hate to say it... but this aren’t a Brabus car...... Just because it have an front lip, rear lip, badge and maybe Brabus exhaust...... Please don't claim it a Brabus car.....
mertd93 that aren't Brabus steering wheel........

None the less it a nice car.....:)

·
Banned
Y2K SL500 Silver
8,660 Posts
SL BRABUS said:
Sorry, I hate to say it... but this aren’t a Brabus car...... Just because it have an front lip, rear lip, badge and maybe Brabus exhaust...... Please don't claim it a Brabus car.....
mertd93 that aren't Brabus steering wheel........

None the less it a nice car.....:)
Tony, Do you suppose that this car is just Brabus badged?

·
Undercover Moderator
5,348 Posts
lynns said:
Tony, Do you suppose that this car is just Brabus badged?
ok, from what trx440 pictures shown here...... he got the Brabus add on front lip, Brabus add on rear lip, Brabus badge, and maybe Brabus exhaust (if he could take a better picture of the Brabus exhaust to confirm if it real)

other modded:

he have an MAE rims (MAE missing center cap which are hard to find replacement because the rims it has been discontinue....)

lower

AMG trunk lip

HID headlight & clear corner

update taillight

custom steering wheel & knob

custom two tone seats & trim

costom sound system

·
Registered
600SL
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks Brabus SL for being on top of things.

The wheel caps come with the car as does the Alpine CD and DVD head units. The Brabus door sills come with it also, they are no longer on the car because the drivers side was too scuffed or dented [?] It also has two 10" subs built into the storage area with a slick custom leather cover. top notch stuff. I will also get a hoist and stand with it.

The car was brought into the states by a pro basketball player, or so I am told. The paper work and receipts will be in my hand by Friday. So I'll know then what the whole story is on the car. I will run a Carfax tomorrow also.

I will be taking the the MAE's apart and polishing them. Then it's on the market with them. I like the 19" Brabus MonoBlock VI 2 piece with the centers powdered black and the lips mirror polished.

The car rides like absolute do-do. [Except on smooth highways] Almost as bad as my old M3 Lighweight with H&R coilovers. Every entrance must be taken at 45 degrees. I'm too old for that stuff. The suspension will be altered and the chin spoiler may lose a few inches.

Sounds delicious when you get on it and it's faster than my buddies SL550 from a rolling stop through 80.

Not bad for what I'll have into it which is less than I have in my quad. I'd say $7750 well allocated.

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
4,527 Posts
Hi trx440 I think a few more pics of the car and especially of the engine could help to understand what you are about to buy. I'd also like to see the audio set up the car has.
Nice ride it is for now.

Cheers.

·
Administrator
8,891 Posts
trx440 said:
The Brabus door sills come with it also, they are no longer on the car because the drivers side was too scuffed or dented
It's details like this that may indicate that the speedo has been changed or altered.
Scuffed, worn sills indicate heavy use as do worn accelerator and brake pedal rubbers.
But then again if you are getting it for a really low price a high mileage is usually expected.
See if you can get hold of the original service records, vehicle tests etc. If they are genuine they will show mileages.

·
Undercover Moderator
5,348 Posts
no problem trx440..... I just don't want to see you get rip off by thinking you buying a Brabus car..... you are buying a great car with all those custom modded.....:)

About the steering wheel.... To answer your question trx440 & aretim..... Brabus never made a half wood & leather on the wood area...... and it should a Brabus names stamp on the bottom right of the leather......

trx440 custom steering wheel

Brabus steering wheel

·
Registered
600SL
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like the fake Brabus wheel more, it's perforated.

All the mods were done in Germany. The speedo conversion was done at a Mercedes dealership here in Phoenix. It has all the documentation.

But I think I'm gonna pass on this one. If the people who know about these cars aren't impressed with it, then I'm probably not looking at the right car.

$7750 just doesn't buy you a quality car.

It'll be on AutoTrader and eBay this weekend. :crybaby2: :surrender: :crybaby2: :surrender::crybaby2: :surrender:

·
Administrator
8,891 Posts
If it is only $7750 or £3,875 in UK money, go for it you can always sell it on again and make a little on the deal.
I think most here are impressed with the car :thumbsup:

·
Undercover Moderator
5,348 Posts
^^^ ditto.......

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
4,527 Posts
Agreed on RedLiner.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts