Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whatever happened to our SLK FAQ? I thought Brian or Bruce or one of our more active old timers had been compiling great info for us... I was looking for info about how the spark plugs work, and the tranny works. Brian gave me a "Everything you wanted to know" book on my SLK and I was pulling apart my den looking for it... I know I've got it but my wife probably packed it into a box or chest. Bummer.

And I have a slight squeeking noise coming from the roof. It's only very minor and happens only occationally. I happened across this interesting suggestion of using Petrolium jelly on the rubber... Thoughts? Will I just make a mess?

http://www.automotiveforums.com/t295878-slk_vario_roof_squeak__how_to_stop.html

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
I would use something made specifically for rubber weatherstripping, like "303 Aerospace Protectant" or some similiar product (without silicone). Vaseline is obviously petroleum based and I think it could damage the seals.

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
rbridges - 4/26/2005 3:51 PM

I'm not sure if vaseline would hurt weatherstripping over long periods of time. wouldn't hurt to try short term to at least diagnose your problem.
Adult store should have a lubricant that is safe for rubber, but i would try MB Dealer first. [:D]

·
Registered
155 Posts
Very clever Kirill .. I didn't think of that. I have a little squeaking sound (just a very little) when it is very warm weather outside -- just when I pull off and a few minutes thereafter. I figure the material is expanding because of the heat; it is not a real problem for me. I use Amor All on the rubber sealers.

Kirill - 4/26/2005 4:36 PM
Adult store should have a lubricant that is safe for rubber, but i would try MB Dealer first. [:D]

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
kmrotterdam - 4/26/2005 5:52 PM

Very clever Kirill .. I didn't think of that. I have a little squeaking sound (just a very little) when it is very warm weather outside -- just when I pull off and a few minutes thereafter.
I had exact same problem - dealer applied something to seals and it was gone.

I suggest you use 303 instead of Armor All it gives you a better protection, also there is a possibility that Armor All can damage rubber\plastics.

303:
http://www.303products.com/store/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=29&CFID=1324240&CFTOKEN=64610992

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
937 Posts
16falcon - 4/26/2005 3:57 PM

I would use something made specifically for rubber weatherstripping, like "303 Aerospace Protectant" or some similiar product (without silicone). Vaseline is obviously petroleum based and I think it could damage the seals.
I agree petroleum-based vasoline is bad. Why no silicone?

·
Registered
SLK 230 yellow
200 Posts
Here ya go....
SOLVE YOUR SQUEAKY ROOF PROBLEM:
Following is a copy of MERCEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN #TSB AF77.30-U-1200AG; Squeaking and tearing noises at all Vario roof seals.

Remedy:
1) Clean contact points on seal on both sides.
2) After cleaning, apply special lubricant to dry seal and allow to soak in for approx. 20 min.
3) Open and close vario roof a number of times.
4) Remove excess lubricant.

Part number for special lubricant is 001 989 50 51.
IF YOUR CAR IS STILL UNDER WARRANTY THE DEALER WILL PERFORM THIS SERVICE FOR FREE.

[;)] FR///

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
DickB - 4/26/2005 7:30 PM

Just what I have read in the "detailing and car care" forum. Silicone in products like Armorall is supposed to be bad for plastic, vinyl and rubber parts (including tires). Do a search on "silicone" in that forum and you will see it is discussed a lot.

·
Premium Member
SLK 230
1,498 Posts
special lubricant is 001 989 50 51.

$21.00 at the deler.

·
Registered
SLK32AMG
712 Posts
16falcon - 4/26/2005 10:32 PM

Just what I have read in the "detailing and car care" forum. Silicone in products like Armorall is supposed to be bad for plastic, vinyl and rubber parts (including tires). Do a search on "silicone" in that forum and you will see it is discussed a lot.
Honda has recommended not using Armorall type products on the vinyl dashes for years. Leads to cracking. I equate it to cooking your dash with Crisco.

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
937 Posts
16falcon - 4/26/2005 10:32 PM

Oh. Well, I wouldn't use Armorall for this but I have used spray silicone lubricant such as that made by 3M. It is recommended for exactly this type of application. In fact, IIRC it was recommended by the car manufacturer of one of my previously-owned convertibles.

·
Registered
SLK 230
17 Posts
AMPM - 4/27/2005 2:21 PM

special lubricant is 001 989 50 51.

$21.00 at the deler.
I've just been to my local (UK) dealer. They quoted me £26 which is roughly equivalent to $47... owch! Someone else said try WD-40. Does anyone know whether this would be any good?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts