Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

161 - 180 of 227 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
That rack system looks similar the one I saw in Alydon's car back in October '09. It looks pretty sweet. What advantage does it provide over a single rack/head unit?

·
Always Remembered RIP
10,146 Posts
Brake job (at 193,000 miles)

Bought the needed parts from the nearest Mercedes Benz dealer where I have been a customer since 2000.

Putting in new brakes and rotors all the way around. Have the anti squeal paste and new wear sensors too.

Flushing the brake fluid can wait a little while...

·
Registered
9,985 Posts
Bought the needed parts from the nearest Mercedes Benz dealer where I have been a customer since 2000.

Putting in new brakes and rotors all the way around. Have the anti squeal paste and new wear sensors too.

Flushing the brake fluid can wait a little while...
Yeah? Good deal. And who's doing the install for you?

Hope you didn't forget new bearings.

·
Registered
9,985 Posts
And for the record, I all by myself, replaced the alternator. I also fixed an A/C leak on the receiver/dryer and I took it to Mauricio's and charged it all by myself on his brand new Snap-On A/C service machine. Taught him how to use it too. Cool toy! Blowing icicles again with the more green R-143a. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't get cold air with a R-134 conversion. If they have not rebuilt their system completely, as I have done, then they don't know what they are talking about. I live in the High Desert of SoCal where today it was a Balmy 105 deg F and it even rained today for about an hour. Yesterday it was a pleasant 109. So my car really gives the A/C a run for it's money, and it cools great. Mapearso was in my car a few months ago and actually felt the icicles hitting him and he commented about it.

Last weekend I replaced the complete sunroof cable assembly and I figured out how to do the sunroof timing. So if anyone's sunroof is acting weird, PM me and I will tell you how to fix it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Scored some penta's!!

Finally found some suiting wheels for my car to replace the tired mesh style wheels, let me know what you think!

·
Registered
9,985 Posts
Mclare did you need a new compressor when you converted it to 134 in order to get satisfactory results?
I rebuilt it myself last year when I had the motor out. You can get the rebuild kit from AHAZ. It was $20.00 I think. It was a bitch pulling it all apart. Some of the bolts were really on there. Had to use the impact driver on them.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Fixing a fuse problem. sort of. replacing a dome light. flushed the condenser. vacuuming. the AC system, not the carpets. who knows what else.

·
Always Remembered RIP
10,146 Posts
Finally found some suiting wheels for my car to replace the tired mesh style wheels, let me know what you think!

Well they look sensational, I have them too,

They looked like yours.

The threshold question however is this.

Do you like them as is, or would you like to have the Penta spokes painted in body color.

Only YOU can decide. It is totally subjective.

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
Back on topic!
I spent the day restoring the original Euro wiring for the rear fog light, city lights in Mosby and Rose, except the headlight wiring in Rose will have to wait as I do not have Euro headlights for her yet.

I was happy to find that both Rose and Mosby had retained their original 6 pin headlight plugs, and Rose had even kept her rear fog light wiring and bulb intact in the Driver side tail light.

Already having the 6 pin plugs made the change back to City lights a cake walk. Using the reat tail light from rose, I was able to wire Mosby's 8 pin taillight plug exactly like Rose's.

FYI #8 pin in the rear plug is the Fog light pin on a Euro car. Rose's still works well and now Mosby's works as well. When Rose was Federalized the either missed the rear fog light and receptacle or just left it alone.

I had an extra single pole tail light receptacle and put it in Mosby's tail light assy to replace the one removed upon Federalization. Wired that to pin #8 and VOILA! rear Fog works on the second click(pull) of the fog lamp function of the headlight switch. Rear fog indicator in the light switch still works also.

A big shout out the Troopr6 as I used the Plug wiring PDF's he had put in the DIY section to be sure I had the right pins in the right holes. Actually, just the #3 pin is all I had to replace in the front plugs, everything else was where it should be.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
R&R'd the AC compressor on my 300SDL today with a brand new Denso unit built in Japan. Haven't pulled a vac on it yet so I can fill it. Thinking about having that professionally done or seeking more advice so I can learn. May do a write up on it but I did not get a chance to take as many pics as I would have liked for a proper DIY.

·
Registered
9,985 Posts
I care. Mclare, thanks for all the work you do your self so you can do those awesome DIYs. You are an inspiration to me when I do mine.
Thank Broham! I'm glad someone does!

·
Registered
477 Posts
R&R'd the AC compressor on my 300SDL today with a brand new Denso unit built in Japan. Haven't pulled a vac on it yet so I can fill it. Thinking about having that professionally done or seeking more advice so I can learn. May do a write up on it but I did not get a chance to take as many pics as I would have liked for a proper DIY.
If you have an air compressor, Harbor Freight has a very inexpensive vacuum pump that is adequate to the task. Got one last year when I was redoing my Geo Metro's AC...did just fine.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I ordered a new radiator and oil line hoses. Temps have been running between 100C and 120C driving to work with the AC on, thermostat is good, radiator is almost 32 years old, sometimes weeps a little coolant between the tank and the core, core is probably all plugged to hell, so I figure it's probably about time for a new radiator.

Oil lines...probably original, certainly leaking some oil, hate to park in nice places because the car leaves a lot of drips...

I also ordered another gasket for the turbocharger oil line, and some o-rings, to take care of a few leaks there. Trying to civilize the ol' hooptie.

·
Registered
9,985 Posts
I ordered a new radiator and oil line hoses. Temps have been running between 100C and 120C driving to work with the AC on, thermostat is good, radiator is almost 32 years old, sometimes weeps a little coolant between the tank and the core, core is probably all plugged to hell, so I figure it's probably about time for a new radiator.

Oil lines...probably original, certainly leaking some oil, hate to park in nice places because the car leaves a lot of drips...

I also ordered another gasket for the turbocharger oil line, and some o-rings, to take care of a few leaks there. Trying to civilize the ol' hooptie.
Let me know if you need some help. We're neighbors, so if you need a hand, pm me. Temps have been around 108 this week, but my car never runs over 100C, so let's see what we can do.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Thank you very much for the offer. All this should be pretty simple and straightforward, biggest problem will probably be staying cool while working on the car...

·
Registered
477 Posts
Replaced the original radiator with a Nissens unit. Hardest part of R&R was waiting for PBBlaster to soak into transmission cooler fittings. Now, in 100 degree weather, with AC on, temp MAXED at 100C, mostly running around 90C. Was running about 100C MINIMUM before, sometimes kicking up to 120C, causing me to turn off the AC. Makes for a MUCH happier car now! Now, to tackle the oil cooler lines...

·
Registered
467 Posts
Got tired of my un-aesthetically pleasing sony CD player, so I splurged on a new Parrot Asteroid with integrated bluetooth-- it's modern looking but simple enough to blend with the climate controls.

Also wired 4 USB ports in on my freshly installed phone console-- I feel like I have a rally computer in with my phone mounted!

Also can see the SEC seats in action-- now just to source a late Gen II interior and we're done!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Nice! I have been looking for one of those side mounts for the old style cell phone, they do come in handy for mounting modern gadgets, no luck as of lately though. How did you mount it to the side of the console?.

What color interior are you going to put in?

161 - 180 of 227 Posts
About this Discussion
226 Replies
79 Participants
Last R107
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing