Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody tell me from what year the vito bodys where galvanised. Some say 06 others say late 07 others say that the ones with the new shape radio have been done can anybody clarify this? Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi My Vito 109CDI was first registered July 05 and it's body is certainly not galvanised. The corrosion on the vehicle is terrible. I certainly would not buy another. These are supposed to be high end of the market vans, they are rust buckets!! No luck with M/B warranty as they always have an excuse or get out clause for all issues. DO NOT BUY A VITO!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a Dec 06 56 plate 111CDI and it has covered 74,000 miles. To be fair the thing is covered in stone chips on the bonnet and has various paint chips in other areas which are down to the metal.

There is not a single sign of any rust whatsoever on the van and I mean nothing at all.

Under the bonnet, the chassis rails and under the van is absolutely as new.

I would assume from this that Vito's from 06 on are most difinately galvanised.

I've had umpteen Volkswagens and would not go back, the Vito has been faultless more or less. I have unbelievable service from my local Mercedes Dealer (Eurovehicle Commercials Bridgend South Wales) nothing is a problem for them, warranty issues are dealt with very efficiently and they are open 6am-10pm for servicing.

The only two issues i've had are a drivers side headlight growing mould which on inspection wasn't the vans fault, someone had left the cover off the back of the unit. This was replaced without question f.o.c.

The other was the gearbox which had the quite common slight crunch going into second when the oil was cold in the morning. They completely rebuild the gearbox for me which is now perfect. I dropped it off on Tuesday morning and they called to say it was ready at 11am on Wednesday! Hows that for service.

I read alot on here about how bad Vito's are and how bad the dealers are etc. etc. In my honest opinion this would be the same whatever make of van you buy. I used to work for a Volkswagen dealer which incidentally was in the top 5 in the U.K. for customer service and we could never please everyone no matter how hard we tried. Theres always some nutter in reception complaining about how expensive things are or how you said you would have his van ready by 1pm and now it's ten past.

Having your vehicle repaired or serviced is something that is a bit like having to go to the dentist, you know it's going to cost you loads of money and that's not going to be an experience you enjoy. I know dealer labour rates are high but if you understood the costs imposed by the manufacturer to set up a franchised service operation it would make your hair curl. We were once sent a mandatory piece of kit from Volkswagen which was an engine crane for removing the engine from a Tuareg. Cost........ £10,000 please! It's a joke.

Independant service centres have none of these costs imposed on them and can therefore afford to charge much less for their labour etc. There is one very good reason for taking your pride and joy to a main agent and that is, when it's with them they check if there are any outstanding vehicle recalls or modified parts to be fitted. Often this happens without the owner even knowing about it, as it happens behind the scenes through the warranty dept.

Finally, I here loads on here about how good T5's are compared to the Vito. Believe me T5's are total rubbish compared to T4's. They had mega problems with them for a couple of years after launch. Gearboxes, Engines, Electrical faults, Flywheel's and water pi$$ing in everywhere to name but a few.

If you want confirmation of this walk into a VW van centre and ask a technician what he thinks. I know what the answer will be. One thing you can say for Vito is that the 639 is a vast improvement over the 638. There are no doubt people on here who will disagree with that statement but a galvanised 639 would be my choice everytime :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a Dec 06 56 plate 111CDI and it has covered 74,000 miles. To be fair the thing is covered in stone chips on the bonnet and has various paint chips in other areas which are down to the metal.

There is not a single sign of any rust whatsoever on the van and I mean nothing at all.

Under the bonnet, the chassis rails and under the van is absolutely as new.

I would assume from this that Vito's from 06 on are most difinately galvanised.

I've had umpteen Volkswagens and would not go back, the Vito has been faultless more or less. I have unbelievable service from my local Mercedes Dealer (Eurovehicle Commercials Bridgend South Wales) nothing is a problem for them, warranty issues are dealt with very efficiently and they are open 6am-10pm for servicing.

The only two issues i've had are a drivers side headlight growing mould which on inspection wasn't the vans fault, someone had left the cover off the back of the unit. This was replaced without question f.o.c.

The other was the gearbox which had the quite common slight crunch going into second when the oil was cold in the morning. They completely rebuild the gearbox for me which is now perfect. I dropped it off on Tuesday morning and they called to say it was ready at 11am on Wednesday! Hows that for service.

I read alot on here about how bad Vito's are and how bad the dealers are etc. etc. In my honest opinion this would be the same whatever make of van you buy. I used to work for a Volkswagen dealer which incidentally was in the top 5 in the U.K. for customer service and we could never please everyone no matter how hard we tried. Theres always some nutter in reception complaining about how expensive things are or how you said you would have his van ready by 1pm and now it's ten past.

Having your vehicle repaired or serviced is something that is a bit like having to go to the dentist, you know it's going to cost you loads of money and that's not going to be an experience you enjoy. I know dealer labour rates are high but if you understood the costs imposed by the manufacturer to set up a franchised service operation it would make your hair curl. We were once sent a mandatory piece of kit from Volkswagen which was an engine crane for removing the engine from a Tuareg. Cost........ £10,000 please! It's a joke.

Independant service centres have none of these costs imposed on them and can therefore afford to charge much less for their labour etc. There is one very good reason for taking your pride and joy to a main agent and that is, when it's with them they check if there are any outstanding vehicle recalls or modified parts to be fitted. Often this happens without the owner even knowing about it, as it happens behind the scenes through the warranty dept.

Finally, I here loads on here about how good T5's are compared to the Vito. Believe me T5's are total rubbish compared to T4's. They had mega problems with them for a couple of years after launch. Gearboxes, Engines, Electrical faults, Flywheel's and water pi$$ing in everywhere to name but a few.

If you want confirmation of this walk into a VW van centre and ask a technician what he thinks. I know what the answer will be. One thing you can say for Vito is that the 639 is a vast improvement over the 638. There are no doubt people on here who will disagree with that statement but a galvanised 639 would be my choice everytime :)
I am really pleased with the reliability and performance of the 109CDI but the corrosion issues on the 2005 vito are a real problem. So maybe I should have said "do not buy pre 2006" as they certainly not galvanised. Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a 2004 Marco Polo with small signs of rust on the 3 doors. I'v contacted MB here in Denmark, and we have agreed that MB pays 70% of the cost to get the 3 doors fixed. The bonnet has a lot of chips - and the former owner didn't do anything to them, so there's beginning rust there as well (not a big issue though). We agreed that they fix the bonnet for a small extra cost when they have the lid of the paint...

I'm not completely satisfied - but I hope that this can keep the rust away for some time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2004 Marco Polo with small signs of rust on the 3 doors. I'v contacted MB here in Denmark, and we have agreed that MB pays 70% of the cost to get the 3 doors fixed. The bonnet has a lot of chips - and the former owner didn't do anything to them, so there's beginning rust there as well (not a big issue though). We agreed that they fix the bonnet for a small extra cost when they have the lid of the paint...

I'm not completely satisfied - but I hope that this can keep the rust away for some time.
Thanks for your reply. M/B UK offered to pay 33% of the cost of the repairs, which mean't they admitted they were liable but that is unacceptable as all the corrosion is a manufacturing flaw. I'm seriously going to persue this issue as my case has been dealt with in an appalling manner and I have clearly been lied to by M/B UK. I think the 'cost cutter' they employed for a couple of years (who reduced the corrosion protection on alot of new M/B vehicles) was seriously incompetent and cost M/B alot of money. The A Class is a classic example!

·
Registered
Vito 111CDi 2004
1,109 Posts
The whole galvanising thing is the same across the whole MB range. It's shocking really. Mine's got rust on it.. well both of them have! I just plan to keep on top of mine which I do but it means I become a very good DIY bodger.

Adam.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had a Fiat ducato 1998 R, which i owned for many years. Sold it a year ago and got a vito. My bottom of the range ducato was galvanized and had dents and scratches all over it but not a spot of rust. My vito is rusting every where. I chipped off some paint by accident the other day and there was rust under the perfectly good paint work. Merc must be using porous paint to get their vans to rust this badly.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Update: My 2004 Viano is at MB right now. They found more rust than they expected, but they promised that I'm not going to pay more than agreed - which means that my actual part of the payment will be less than the 30% that I expected.

I asked when the Viano/Vito was galvanised, and they told me that the W639 was "partly" galvanised up to middle of 2005 and from then (2006-model) they were fully galvanised.

I left the car in the garage monday (1 week ago) - hopefully I'll see it again soon. I was promised to get it back by wednesday - but they wasn't finished by then, so they've rented a Audi A4 for me while I wait.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts