Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, and thanks for reading. A friend of mine has a family member who is trying to unload a '75 diesel 450 SL for less than 2K. This person has several cars already and admits the vehicle needs some work. I would like some advice, please, on the possible purchase of this vehicle. Here are some details:

Good overall condition, with 150K mileage
Runs well, though it drips some oil
Air conditioning needs some work
Floorboards just replaced
Both soft top and hard top included

The price seems unbeatable, but I'm concerned about the immediate maintenance ($$$) and various items I have read on the internet about the catalytic converter's placement in the engine (one website referenced an article from R&T Mag., advising against the '75-'76 models altogether due to this design).

Am I setting myself up for ongoing trips to the mechanic? Thanks for any advice you can give! I'm hoping to learn from anyone's experiences with this model year.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My opinion

I'd asked when was the last time the timing chain was replaced, if it ever was. If so, I'd probably replace it.

The catalytic converter inside the engine bay is a poor design. If you can find a way to relocate it outside the engine bay, it might be worth purchasing and spending the extra money to relocate that catalytic converter if it's possible.

If not, I'd probably pass on it.

Oil pan gasket probably needs replacing or the oil pan bolt is not torqued properly.

The AC on the R107 chassis malfunctions a lot. Is it our of refrigerant or is the module for the controls starting to fail? The module is expensive to replace.

If it's the original soft top, check for stiffness in the canvass. Don't be surprised if it cracks. Check the vinyl window on clarity. Check also for seam separation. Personally, I like the car with the hard top on.

·
Registered
1986 560-SL
57 Posts
What to do?

You can check prices via Hemmings Motor News - "hard" publication or on line, this goes for the vehicle and parts.

As in buying a vehicle, you can go cheap, not drive for a time period, do a lot of work and invest a lot of $$$. Or you come in higher and start driving right away

Decisions, decisions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts