Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
'06 SLK55
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't have a manual and search didn't work for me.

What would happen if someone were to accidentally depress the 'Park' button on the transmission stalk while at speed?

I've tried it immediately after releasing the brake, ie 1mph, and the car instantly stopped and went into park. Would the transmission attempt to do the same at 5, 20 or even 60mph? I sure ain't gonna try. I just want to know so that if/when a relative drives the car, I can warn them accordingly.

TIA,

Dan

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
It won't do it after a certain speed. I forget what that point is, but its there.

·
Registered
'09 ML550, '12 BMW 650i Cab (lucky wife)
757 Posts
The gear shift is just a switch. Mercedes would have to be pretty dumb to allow pressing it to cause damage, whether into Park or Reverse.

But I ain't gonna volunteer to test my theory!

·
Registered
ML63, 997TT
130 Posts
There are triangles pointing to PRND letters when the car is idling or moving slowly. They go away at about 5 or maybe 10mph. I assume at that point the level is disabled and is there for decoration. :)

·
Registered
2014 C250 sports coupe
247 Posts
Don't have a manual and search didn't work for me.

What would happen if someone were to accidentally depress the 'Park' button on the transmission stalk while at speed?

I've tried it immediately after releasing the brake, ie 1mph, and the car instantly stopped and went into park. Would the transmission attempt to do the same at 5, 20 or even 60mph? I sure ain't gonna try. I just want to know so that if/when a relative drives the car, I can warn them accordingly.

TIA,

Dan
You guys are kidding right?:D you mean to tell me no body here pull their e break for fun to make to car go side ways or drift?
Reason your truck went in to park at 1mph because it thought truck was rolling out of control and as safety it went in to park mode. that safety mode goes away after certain speed so you can do all kinds of fun stuff with the e break:D
I searched for the ML drifting videos but this was all I can find that resembled MLs dynamics hehehehe LMAO:dance::dance::big laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImOS-7vWLWA

·
Registered
272 Posts
I've done it a few times. It does nothing if I'm moving...usually I do this at highway speed. I drive so many rental cars that after driving a Toyota I come back and for some reason think the button is for the cruise control. Anyway, nothing happens.

·
Registered
2006 ML350
612 Posts
There are triangles pointing to PRND letters when the car is idling or moving slowly. They go away at about 5 or maybe 10mph. I assume at that point the level is disabled and is there for decoration. :)
What he said...

·
Registered
'09 ML550, '12 BMW 650i Cab (lucky wife)
757 Posts
You guys are kidding right?:D you mean to tell me no body here pull their e break for fun to make to car go side ways or drift?
As one who has done thousands of handbrake turns in gymkhanas over the years, I would be most interested in your instructions for doing so with a foot-operated parking brake that is released by an under-dash lever.

·
Premium Member
2013 C250
7,273 Posts
As one who has done thousands of handbrake turns in gymkhanas over the years, I would be most interested in your instructions for doing so with a foot-operated parking brake that is released by an under-dash lever.
I'd like to see that.:D

·
Registered
2014 C250 sports coupe
247 Posts
it's easy since the truck is not stick shift you don't have to worry about stalling and since the release lever is located conveniently under your left hand(this is for the W163 i don't know about W164) just press the pedal turn the wheel either right or left and before you come to complete stop pull the release lever and keep going. (now if you gonna try this do it under extreme caution I assume no responsibility if anything goes wrong)

I did this two weeks ago after taking the pictures you see in my avatar and my signature. My fiance didn't wanna be in the truck with me because she was afraid that truck might flip while we were going up the hill so to scare her I did the little e break pull trick couple of times after she got in the car, I mean granted it was soft gravel dirt and I wasn't going to fast but it is doable.:D

oh and...in the video I posted above E class has the same set up as the ML so it's abvious if you know what you are doing you can even drift a hurst hehehehehe :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts