28,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RI
52,804 Posts

·
Sith Lord
11,813 Posts
Twice the amount listed - at least - if you're planning to restore it properly.

Don't let the Shane hear about this.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Sounds to good to be true:

1982 Mercedes Benz 500SL
Depends on whether you do the work or have someone else do it, depends on how hard you search for a tranny, and whether you install it yourself, it can cost anywhere from say 500 dollars to 5k, depending on how hard you search, your luck, if you are willing to not only pull the tranny from another car but install it in yours, or pay a shade tree mechanic to do it

my car was in -far- worse condition when I got it, the mechanic estimate on repairs was 6000, I have spent -maybe- 300-400 dollars by doing all the work myself, and rather then replacing all the parts, taking them apart and rebuilding them, AAV, fuel injectors, fuel pump etc etc. and 130 of that was unnecessary but made it a LOT better (pertronix and coil) but your big stumbling block is the tranny, finding out how much one of those will cost is the key, but searching and asking in the SL forums for someone with a comparable parts car is key, installing the tranny is either a few hunnert bux with a shade tree guy, DIY or pricey as hell

I would set aside 2k for it and then work like hell to come in under that budget and use the leftover money to fix the hard top etc, so for 5-6k you'd end up with a reasonable car, or you could just buy one for that much money

Ultimately what I'd do is offer the guy 1500 dollars for it, he'll reject it, tell him the offer stays on the table for when it doesn't sell for 3k, then if he makes you wait, but comes around later to get 1500, tell him 1k take it or leave it, buy the car for 1-1.5k, drop 2-3k into it, -then- you would have gotten a decent deal and paid yourself for the pain in the ass factor

·
Registered
28,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've wanted a 500SL for years, it will be hard. Are there sedan trannies that will swap into this thing from my local junk yard?

·
Registered
28,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Purchase price $3000 tranny $2000 sound good eh? and soft top $? need I go on.
The soft top doesn't bother me, it's the same one used on my 280sl and that wasn't too expense to replace. If it goes like my 83, the front end will be shot, the rear end will need to be rebuilt, the motor will be fine and the exhaust will be rotted out, seems to be pretty standard work required on 107 refugees. The tranny would be a new adventure. I know that the suspension work will run me about 5 grand to get it done right, and the exhaust about a thousand to do in stainless, the top about $400, so I'm looking at $8400 before I even touch the tranny if I want to put it into the same shape as my 280. He doesn't say if it is a standard or automatic, I called the guy, he didn't answer, got his vm.

·
Registered
28,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you seen the car to at least match the seller's sayings?
No, I just saw the ad like twenty minutes ago, and had an immediate erection. 500SL's are fairly rare in the US, I believe they are all grey market Euros. I love grey market Euros.

·
Sith Lord
11,813 Posts
Just go and see it; maybe you'll be able to negotiate the price further down...

When I got my 500E, it was a pic my father sent me. Considering the scarcity of the car in the middle east, I jumped on it without thinking or listening to the Shane :)

·
Registered
28,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Shane is the voice of evil, he is not really human, it is postings that come from a dark place on the Internet, a haunting yowl from the black hole at the center of this place. Listening to it will result in damnation.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
May not want to go look at it, you'll just want it more. I've also lusted after an older SL for a long time, and I'm a sucker for a beautiful Benz with an injury. Current SL prices are... quite attractive. As are SL's in general, especially if they have the Euro headlights.

Bad transmission... ouch, that's one thing that you just about have to farm out to someone else. I'd suggest you check with an independent Benz mechanic who can handle transmission work. If you're going to spend serious money, get it fixed and not replaced with a junkyard tranny in unknown condition. A lot of the expense is just getting it in and out, don't want to be doing that more than once.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
You guys are a bunch of bastards. I'm thinking about aspiring towards a well worn Miata with a decent body.

·
66,894 Posts
Get it!
If you bring a along a Fatah Fist thingy from your precious inventory, I will show you how to handle a trans.
Very easy:
remove the top bolts
lift the car up and remove the drive shaft at the trans
Remove the trans mount
brace the trans with a jack then remove the remaining bolts, voila, just drop it like it's hot!
2 hour job!

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
How about a nice gen 2 rx7? ... or a fiero?
Don't make me laugh, I smoke a much milder tobacco than the customer you think I am surely must be smoking.

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RI
52,804 Posts
Get it!
If you bring a along a Fatah Fist thingy from your precious inventory, I will show you how to handle a trans.
Very easy:
remove the top bolts
lift the car up and remove the drive shaft at the trans
Remove the trans mount
brace the trans with a jack then remove the remaining bolts, voila, just drop it like it's hot!
2 hour job!
You missed out on a small bunch of items not least of which is to unbolt the torque convertor.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts