Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2007 911 GT3 RS, 1990 420SEL, 2007 S550, 1994 SL500 6.0, 2011 Aston Martin DBS
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so my stupidity has cost me, and I thought I might as well ask here before I did anything.

My car at 109,000 KMS would have a delayed shift into R.

By 114,000 the car would no longer go into R.

My father ended up taking the car to repair it after I left on vacation. The transmission was rebuilt at a Mister Transmission shop at a cost of 2,600 dollars, and it was fine for the first few days.

The car began a gradual whining when put into P or N, I went back and they rebuilt the transmission under warranty.

Again at 124,000 KM's the car began grinding noises and the P and N whine came back. The tranny was rebuilt once AGAIN...

Its now at 128,000 KM's and again.. the shifts are being delayed from 2nd to 3rd even after the transmission warms up and its about to give out again.

The shop admitted even though they have a wall of ATSG certifications that the European model cars are different than the North American models and that its a grey area for them. Minor differences like the E/S switch, and the valve body for instance. The advice I got was to sell the car.....

The warranty is about to expire to the delight of the transmission shop and now after 3 rebuilds which did more harm than good, I'm deciding about going back to the Mercedes dealer to see what they will do?

What should I expect at the Merc dealer, any advice to what to do with the transmission shop, and! to the guru's here...Am I better off just get a 722 off German eBay and dropping that in?

·
SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
10,293 Posts
grind sound in N and P in NORMAL...

this is even mentioned in broad fond in both the ATSG and the Mercedes publications...

in fact, the manual says: dragging noises in P and N are normal, when in doubt, use a similar model for compareson...

·
Registered
2007 911 GT3 RS, 1990 420SEL, 2007 S550, 1994 SL500 6.0, 2011 Aston Martin DBS
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
grind sound in N and P in NORMAL...

this is even mentioned in broad fond in both the ATSG and the Mercedes publications...

in fact, the manual says: dragging noises in P and N are normal, when in doubt, use a similar model for compareson...
Its not a normal noise, its like the sound of taking two unfired ceramic plates and rubbing them aggressivly together. Then it sounds like a supercharger whine. Ive never heard a transmission sound like this:crybaby2:

·
10,293 Posts
I see... thats not normal...

do you have some sort of lemon law in Canada? you should qualify for a full refund...

my advice is negotiate a refund from the shop, and use the money to locate a low mile US/CA tranny, and either drop it in, or rebuild it to the specs your shop claims to be familiar with, then install it in...

you may get a code or to for the missing euro components, but so what?... this is certainly a less exterme solution than selling the car...

·
Sith Lord
72 280SE 88 560SEC 92 E500 6.0 95 SL320 14 GLK350
11,813 Posts
I had similar incidents on my Saab; lack of expertise in its transmission led to 3-4 times dismantling to be finally replaced with a used one.

The shop probably did not replace all of the disks or forgot to put something back in the correct order.

You are better off finding a tranny from a parted car at this stage.

The whining is surely creating debris that are damaging the inside of your tranny.

·
Registered
'90 124.128
241 Posts
A few miles south of you...

San Francisco Bay area

MZF-Bayer Transmissions

Phone:650-348-3990

Fax:650-348-3019

Email: [email protected]

1331 Rollins Road
Burlingame, CA 94010

You're Much Closer than I am.

Call and ask Wolfgang what the turnaround time and price is for your 722.3

These are REAL Mercedes Transmission Experts!

On Another Matter...
I know NOTHING about Canadian Law,BUT the Tranny Shop has admitted to you that
they didn't know what they were doing (In the Beginning,or even at this date).
I'd give them the opportunity to refund your money...Before you Sue their Ass*s Off
They're Crooks ! (ils sont des Escrocs)

Attachments

·
Registered
'03 SL Kleemann, 1997 SL320 Pano Top, Tesla Model X
661 Posts
used R129 transmissions available

my advice is negotiate a refund from the shop, and use the money to locate a low mile US/CA tranny, and either drop it in, or rebuild it to the specs your shop claims to be familiar with, then install it in...

you may get a code or to for the missing euro components, but so what?... this is certainly a less exterme solution than selling the car...
Hope you can find a Euro transmission. I don't know if any, or which, error codes you may get by dropping in a US version. Maybe somebody on the forum can shed some light on that?

I currently have the following US trannies from crashed R129s:

'90 300SL-24, 5-speed, 67k miles
'94 SL500, 68k miles
'95 SL500, 121k miles
'93 600SL, 81k miles
'98 SL500, 130k miles

It is pretty easy to ship transmissions by truck freight. They get wrapped and strapped onto a pallet. We are on the West Coast, but the cost does not vary all that much throughout the US. Shipping from here to Vancouver B.C. is easy, too, and takes about two days in transit.

·
10,293 Posts
I currently have the following US trannies from crashed R129s:

'90 300SL-24, 5-speed, 67k miles
Is that a 722.5xx auto or 6xxxx manual tranny?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts