Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious about what owners have found words best in their /8 era inline sixes like the m114 and m110 from the w114 and w108 era. And do you use a different weight summer/winter?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Use a heavy weight oil such as 20W-50 and don't forget to use the additive ZDDP. This additive protects the journals and sliding parts from excess wear. It's been removed from modern oils.

You can use modern Diesel oil which has ZDDP, check the package.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40

...provides outstanding resistance to oil consumption, oxidation, corrosive and abrasive wear, and high temperature deposits. Carries amongst the highest levels of the good stuff for older engines (aka ZDDP) without the help of additional additives. :thumbsup:

Mobil Delvac 1300 Super

·
Registered
48 Posts
In my 72/73 280se 4.5 (v8) I use Mobil 1 15w-50 but only drive it in the warmer months. I searched alot for info about zinc and phosphorus levels in oils and I have been a long time mobil 1 user in everything else I have. The 15w-50 has very high levels of both compared to the other grades, something like 1200-1300ppm of zinc which to my understanding is a safe amount to shoot for when selecting an oil for these. Since it's 15w and not 20w I also figured all the better with a little thinner oil when cold to get things flowing and then a 50 grade when up to temp.

Some will talk about how using synthetic is and open invitation for oil leaks since molecules are smaller etc. But I have had no issues.

I have the original manual with grade suggestions, I will try to scan and post it for the v8 in the next few days.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts