Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
SLK..lower than yours
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my last oil change is officially the last time im taking my car to the dealer for an oil change......... i was wondering what type and brand of oil do you guys (the ones that can relate to this) put into your engines????

My mechanic told me that synthetic 5w-30 is what my m112 uses, but im not sure of that and would like to know what the rest of you out there use.... thanks.

·
Registered
2006 SLK-55 AMG
737 Posts
430 said:
In the states the best mainstream choice is going to be mobile 1 0w-40.
I was looking for oil last week, and I can no longer find the "European Formula 0w-40" at the stores which all previously had it. For no obvious reason, Mobil has re-labelled all their Mobil-1 products and chosen different viscosity grades to put on the shelf. They are also now creating two different price tiers, with an "extended life" version that costs 20% more than the "regular" Mobil-1s.

I don't know why companies like Mobil want to screw everyone up by constantly re-labelling their products and changing what the factories have tested and recommended. Its getting as bad as laundry detergents, or deoderants, where every trip to the grocery store to try and find what you last bought means a search thru completely different looking labels and names, trying to find what you were previously satisfied with in a now different looking package.:mad:

·
Registered
SLK..lower than yours
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its all marketing,....trying to keep a fresh face on the products / company and always trying to attract new people that are willing to try out "new" products...and hoping that the old clients like us will stay with him once we figure out the relabeling....etc.

what are your opinions on MOTUL or CASTROL ??

Ive used both before with great results.....

·
Registered
2006 SLK-55 AMG
737 Posts
I have ONLY used Mobil-1 in the synthetics, so I have no first hand experience using Castrol synthetic; I do use their conventional oils in an older pickup truck and lawnmower, mostly because of price; the only Castrol I would stay completely away from is Castrol R (castor bean oil) if they still even make the product.

Mobil-1 and Redline are probably the "best" of the synthetics, but the truth is that they will all exceed any requirements you are likely to throw at them, and in your tropical climates, the "0" end of 0w-40 is probably irrelevant, so 5w-30 or 10w-40 are the next best Mobil-1 choices currently easy to find at retail stores. If I cannot eventually find 0w-40 before the change is due, I will probably choose 10w-40 for use here in steamy Florida.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
There are a number of reasons for changes that oil companies make to their packaging and labeling of products. Some of them are related to marketing and keeping a fresh new look. Others are related to reformulation of the additive package to either comply with fedral regulations, or enhance some aspect of the package, e.g. better emissions, reduced wear, less damage to emissions system, etc.

Opinion on Motul is that it is overpriced. You can do better elsewhere including Mobile 1 and Redline.

Opnion on Castrol Sytnec. It is crap. It is not a realy synthetic. You would probably get the same results by grabbing vegtable oil from your kitchen and pouring it into your engine. There is absolutley nothing good to say about this oil.

I have heard people say good things about a German version of Castrol Synthetic oil but I have no experience with it. I have had very negative experiences with Syntec in a previous car.

If you have any questions at all about oil the place to go is www.bobistheoilguy.com

·
Registered
99 230slk
281 Posts
430 said:
Opnion on Castrol Sytnec. It is crap. It is not a realy synthetic. You would probably get the same results by grabbing vegtable oil from your kitchen and pouring it into your engine. There is absolutley nothing good to say about this oil.
The last (and only) time that the slk went to the dealer for an A service they used Castrol GTX magnatec. Its labelled up as synthetic but in fact is not fully synthetic and after 4500 miles looked like a black sludge. I would steer clear of Castrol and stick with the Mobil.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Stick with Mobil 1, it's among the top synthetic oils out there. If you can't find 0w-40 go with 15w-50 in the Summer and 10w-30 in the Winter. I did some professional grade testing with my employer a while back, and there was no question, Mobil 1 and Amsoil were the best available, Period.

·
Registered
SLK320, MKV Jetta TDI, Mini Cooper S, Lincoln Mark LT
1,712 Posts
There are only 2 to pick from for me and they are AMSOil or Mobil 1. I prefer AMSOil. They have been synthetic all along.

·
Registered
SLK..lower than yours
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bruce R. said:
Stick with Mobil 1, it's among the top synthetic oils out there. If you can't find 0w-40 go with 15w-50 in the Summer and 10w-30 in the Winter. I did some professional grade testing with my employer a while back, and there was no question, Mobil 1 and Amsoil were the best available, Period.

bruce, what "temps" would you consider winteR? Because at NO TIME a year do temps drop lower than 55 here in miami FL (on an average)...most year round average is around 70-90.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
If the temperature doesn't go below 55 deg.F I think I would go with 15w-50 if I couldn't find 0w-40. There will be some additional drag on the internal components when it's cooler, but in my OPINION it's worth the slightly better protection when the temperature hits triple digits........ The fact is 15w-50 is all I use in my '32, I don't drive it in the Winter.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
When I did my oil change last fall, I couldn't find the "European Formula" 0w-40 Mobil 1 either. I did find some regular Mobil 1 0w-40 though. I called Mobil 1 (there is a toll free phone number on the bottle) and they said it is the same stuff. So you should be able to find some Mobil 1 0w-40 but it may not say "European Formula" on it. It is not as common as some of the other weights though and I had to search around at several auto parts stores before I found the 0w-40.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
I personally really like Redline I think it is a fantastic oil and is much better than Mobile 1. Although up to this point I have only used Mobile 1 in my car.

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
430 said:
I personally really like Redline I think it is a fantastic oil and is much better than Mobile 1. Although up to this point I have only used Mobile 1 in my car.
There is nothing wrong with Redline, there is nothing wrong with Amsoil, the only problem with those as I see it is that they are not as readily available as Mobil 1. Mobil 1 is available almost everywhere, and if for some reason you need to add a quart you can do that without having to mix oils. I don't like to mix brands.....

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Could not agree with you more Bruce. I was going to change my oil with Redline 0w-40 awhile ago and have it tested. The local place I buy Redline from did not have any available.

·
Registered
SLK..lower than yours
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ive also noticed that, ive heard great things about redline, to the point where I saw a test online performed an a fairly stock E36 M3. The car's diff, tranny and engine oil were flushed and filled up with Red Line....the car gained almost 8-rwhp.....I can try looking for it and posting it for those interested..

but yes, it is a hard oil to find (here in miami it can only be baught at high performance shops...etc) and it IS more expensive.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts