Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1962 W111 220SE Coupe
2,289 Posts
Premium only as per manufacturer spec, look inside the gas door area and there will be a notice. Some will argue that it doesn't matter but it is well proven that the engine management adjusts to compensate for the lower octane and generally results in lower MPG, thus negating any perceived benefit from using cheaper gas.

·
Registered
2000 C230 K, 1974 450SL, 1980 Porsche 928, 1974 Suzuki GT750, 1972 Honda CB750
79 Posts
I've been using REGULAR in my 2000 C230K, and I get 32 mpg in mixed driving. Do you really think my mileage would be that better to justify the 20 cent a gallon cost increase?

·
Registered
Whatever car has the gas in it
1,962 Posts
I've been using REGULAR in my 2000 C230K, and I get 32 mpg in mixed driving. Do you really think my mileage would be that better to justify the 20 cent a gallon cost increase?

Dont use regular gas. If you keep using regular gas in a motor that needs premium your going to have one hell of an issue somewhere down the line that would cost a $hit load of $$$$$$

·
Registered
2002 ML320
1,951 Posts
I am calling BS... You are not getting 32mpg in a Kompressor in mixed driving... I can guarantee you that... especially running regular grade fuel... next you're going to say you get that regular at an Arco station.

The economy ratings for this car are:

Fuel Type
Premium

MPG (city) 19

MPG (highway) 26

MPG (combined) 22

Even when new the ratings were 21mpg city and 29mpg hwy with a combined rating of 24mpg

·
Registered
2002 ML320
1,951 Posts
Yeah the highest I have seen in my K was 31 on a 2.5 hour trip with cruise set at 72mph

·
Registered
79 Posts
Here's where I have the biggest problem with the "premium" argument. Dunno where you guys live, but here in the LA area, the pumps are not certified as to the octane reading. Sure, there's a sticker on them as far as the unit of measure, but none here that states what the actual octabe reading is.

I'm sure many of you are feeling the placebo effect. Does your State certify that what you're paying for is what you're pumping into your tank?

And besides, out here, the regular is 88 octane, and our "premium" is only 91. That's only a 3 point difference. I'm sure the computer can adjust for that slight difference.

And yes, I get my gas at Arco, which carries BP gas, which, in other parts of the country, is a higher priced fuel. I'm sure now I'll be paying more there to compensate for their "oops" down in the Gulf region.

·
Registered
00 E55 03 C32 / 03 C230k sdn 04 C230k sdn 98 ML320 98 528i
122 Posts
Fuel Grade

Dont use regular gas. If you keep using regular gas in a motor that needs premium your going to have one hell of an issue somewhere down the line that would cost a load of $$$$$$
I've skimp on the type of octane fuel I used on my 99 C230K before, it sent a code and when I needed to smog the car I had to replace BOTH $$ O2 $ensors.

·
Registered
99' C43 AMG "T Rex", Ultima Sports Can-Am (in build)
234 Posts
Well, in this part of the world, regular as you call it or normal as we say is a 95 octane product. Your premium or super for us is 98 octane. You can also find "super power" at 100 octane but the price :eek:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Today, I filled up the C230K with Arco regular, at $2.99.9 per gallon. The Chevron, across the street, wanted $3.37.9 for a gallon of their 91 octane premium. 38 cents a gallon difference. What's that, more than 12%?

I put in 9.8 gallons, and got 272 miles on that tank. Calculates to 27.75 mpg. I'm down a bit, because I'm been getting on BOTH compressors with the 85 degree weather we've been having. AND I "topped it off". But I'm not disappointed at all with the mileage.

I fail to see how I'm going to achieve a 12% or better jump in fuel economy. If I needed it that badly, I'd go to Pep Boys and buy a bottle of Octane Booster.

I generally try and keep the tach around or just slightly below 3000 rpm, and avoid hurried starts. That equates to just below 80 mph on the freeway, which seems to suit the car just fine.

·
Registered
1999 C43 AMG, 1998 C43 AMG
613 Posts
I heard a good analogy on the premium vs regular argument: An athlete can technically survive on mcdonald's everyday. Premium is the the organic, vitamin-enriched food of the auto world. You don't "need" it. But if you want to live to 100, it's crucial.

I have my own interesting story on the issue. I use nothing but shell v-power in my '94 C280. My girlfriend once borrowed it in order to surprise me with a free full tank of fuel. She went to kroger and used 87 to fill it up from almost-empty.

Within the first quarter tank, it fouled out the ignition system (either the plugs or the wires). I had to put new plugs and wires in. I got roughly 17-19mpg out of that tank. It hardly broke the 200 mile mark (can't remember the exact number). Even after I got that 87 out, it still didn't fare much better with v-power again. I changed the o2 sensors, and now it's back to normal. Poor girlfriend cried twice over the whole thing. She was trying to do me a favor, so I assured her it was fine and the stuff probably needed to be replaced anyway.

The plugs were only 4-5 months old. Always only use OEM Bosch plugs.

Off topic: I saw a pictorial of an M103/M104 engine pulled apart. Owner had driven it for years on 87 octane with those new "platinum +4" plugs that came out years ago. The combination of 87 plus those plugs resulted in the plug tips melting/chipping off and falling into the cylinder. The cheap gas and debris resulted in a total failure of more than 1 cylinder. As I recall, he even tried to sue bosch or benz. I forget exactly which.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.