Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have decided I could use a trailer to pull behind my Mog. I searched the forum and saw that many of you have the M105 military trailer (or some version of this trailer).

How do you like the trailer? Does it work well behind the Mog? What are the weight capacities of this trailer?

If anyone has any insights on these questions or where I could find one of these trailers I would really appreciate the help!

Also, what price should I expect?

TIA,

Tim

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
5,856 Posts
I have an older version USAF 103A3 (generator trailer version of the 105) and its 1.5 ton trailer if Im not mistaken. My mog (diesel 404) towed it fully loaded with furniture etc. along with its radiobox full of household goods and everything else (kitchen sink and all) from OH to North FL. like it was not there. (except up the grades where all Mogs bog down some.)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Saw this on fleabay for your amusement. I do not pretend to know what these are worth and it is not mine either. Just trying to give a helping hand.

Unimog Military Radio Box Camper M105A2 Trailer Deuce
Item number: 220200727475

MUD

·
Registered
181 Posts
What purpose do you see for the trailer? Camping, or extra load-carrying? I use two trailers, depending upon the purpose; and, even though I have a 24V/12V convertor to run some 12V accessories, I installed an extra set of 24V lights on each trailer so that I can use the appropriate umbilical cord, depending upon whether I will tow with the Mog or with the F150.

Attachments

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
5,856 Posts
What purpose do you see for the trailer? Camping, or extra load-carrying? I use two trailers, depending upon the purpose; ...

funny you should post the eggshell trailer. I recently came across an older 5th wheel egg shell trailer. Plan is to purchase it and mount it ontop of my M103a3 military trailer with a modified goose neck and/or pintel hitch arrangement

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
M105's are available on the DOD liquidations sites all the time. Some of them are in really good, almost new condition and some are rust hulks. I've seen them go for as cheap as $200.

You must go to the physical mil-base location to haul it away and what you find there is what you get (flat tires, bad brakes, ect). Be advised that the rings on these trailers may or may not be a match to your Ringfeder (or what have you) stock hitch.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, I have thought about the DOD/Gov auction route. I will mostly be using the trailer for wood hauling and stuff like that. I do have the ringfeder hitch, so I will need to figure out the size of hoop that I should bring with me if I get a military trailer.

Any drawbacks to the Military trailer route? What does a trailer in good shape usually go for?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Getting a M-105 trailer for a Unimog...

Any drawbacks to the Military trailer route? What does a trailer in good shape usually go for?

Thanks all!
I have a M-105 a2 Trailer and it works great with my 1975 Danish 416. The trailer's plug plugged right into my Mog, I did need to change the wiring combination to the lights by swopping around the plugs (1 hour job). The trailers rating is 1.5 ton off-road/3 ton on-road. The airbrakes on my M-105 are seized and I don't use them. My Mog had no trouble stopping with the trailer filled with 4 yards of wet dirt in it. These trailer are built like tanks.

When buying try to get one with the crank down landing gear (it will have two smaller wheels, not one big wheel). And desent tires.

I paid $125 for the one I use Now. Got one for free in good shape with messed up landing leg, sold it on ebay for $110 (offered my $100 just for the wheels and tires).

Don't pay much for them, Maybe $500 if it is in great shape, with side and front racks, canvas top and bows, crank down landing leg, working lights, and good tires.

My trailer sits in a parking lot of a industrial park, unlocked and nobody has taken it. They are only useful to guys with Army trucks, they are to big for Pickups and to small for Landscapers/Contractors and such.

Good Luck,

Brian
1975 Danish 416

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great info all! All I want is a trailer I can take off road and not worry about it blowing up.

I have looked on the Government Liquidation sites a bit, but am always confused. Anyone have a good site?

Also, we are getting .5 inches of ice tonight, does MB make an ice melter attachment for my Mog?!?!?!

Tim

·
Registered
184 Posts
Trailer

I have a M332 that I tow behid my 404. It was a "Bomb or munitions" trailer. It has a small body with high sides. It has a 3000 lb capacity on or off road with 20 inch wheels. I got it from a town auction for $300, that was the opening bid, they wouldn't start it at less. Like Brian I had to swap the wires around to get the lights to work right. I replaced the lights with LEDs that work with 12 or 24 volts then sold my Chevy truck.

The pintle is the perfect height for my 404.

I added fenders because it made such a mess of the truck without them.

Krisinak,

The 3000lb capacity trailers have 20 inch wheels. Mine has about 15 -16 inches under the axle. The 1500 lb trailers used 16 inch wheels. I don't know what the clearence is on them.

The parking brakes work great. I plan on getting the air brakes working when the weaqther breaks.

Keep looking. You'll find something good.

Jeff

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts