Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1989 190E 2.6
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya, I'm new to Mbz cars. Just got a 1989 190E 2.6 and I need to know what software, obd1 connectors, etc.. to obtain to scan my car. Is obd1 data usefull as obd2, is it worth investing on a obd1 scanner?

On another note, cylinder #4 from front to back is not working at all. What could be all possible problems? I replaced all spark plugs with new ones.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

-dex

· BenzWorld W126 & W201 Host
1988 420SE, 2002 C180 Kompressor, 200 ML320
1,150 Posts
Re:No.4 cylinder.

Dexter

If one cylinder is completely down, the problem can usually be identified by process of elimination without the need for scanners.

First, remove the plug and put it to earth with the plug lead (wire) connected to see if there is a spark when the engine is turned over. If there is no spark, the problem is electrical, if there is a spark, the problem is probably fuel related.

If you have the equipment, you could also do a compression check to make sure it's nothing terminal.

· Registered
1989 190E 2.6
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Re:No.4 cylinder.

thanks spanners. I will check that, but I still would like to know what is a good software and connectors for these cars, for future use?

Thanks,

-dex

Dexter

If one cylinder is completely down, the problem can usually be identified by process of elimination without the need for scanners.

First, remove the plug and put it to earth with the plug lead (wire) connected to see if there is a spark when the engine is turned over. If there is no spark, the problem is electrical, if there is a spark, the problem is probably fuel related.

If you have the equipment, you could also do a compression check to make sure it's nothing terminal.

· Registered
1989 190E 2.6
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Re: Re:No.4 cylinder.

So here is an update. There is a spark, but there isn't any fuel coming there. I assume there may be a problem with the injector? Any way to diagnose? Other possible issues?

Thanks,

-dex

1,150 Posts
Re: No fuel

dexter

Swap the injector from the faulty cylinder with another and see if the problem moves. Also start the engine with the pipe disconnected from the injector and see if there is any fuel coming through to the injector.

· Registered
1989 190E 2.6
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No compression

Ok here is the deal. I replaced the injector, but it is not it. Cylinder 4 has no compression at all! :( How bad is that? Is it the internal parts or something before that (valves, etc...)? Is there anything else to check before I call it a dead cilynder?

Thanks,

-dex

1,150 Posts
Re: No compression

dexter

If there is no compression, it is terminal and you will need to take the cylinder head off to investigate further[:(][:(][:(]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.