Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
300CE-24 -91
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I´m thinking of getting me my first V8-mercedes :)
Is there anything in a 350SLC -72 that needs more attencion than the general old car stuff?
How´s the automatic, does it change gears smoothly right after a cold start?

I´ve had W114-115-201 and a S124 in the past, 4-5cyl diesels and 6-cyl gassers, both manual and automatic (5-spd) so I´m not a complete noob with M-B's, I´m just curious if there´s anything model specific to look out for.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1973 450 SLC AMG, 1995 Chevy Tahoe
3,381 Posts
and more Rust.

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
And timing chains that haven't been replaced, and neglected "barn finds" that have sat so long the fuel system is filled with varnish that used to be gas, and rubber suspension components that have turned to dust, and rust. Lots and lots of rust.

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,203 Posts
If you get something that old that hasn't been refurbished your gonna be the one doing it or wishing you had. The only reason my car is on the road is because my dad, the previous owners and I have taken good care of it. Just think about weather stripping around the windows, mine is shot but the car still keeps most of the water out, that's where I'd start. You know what screw that, theres a 450slc being advertised in my paper with 43k miles and the guy is asking 5700 for it. I guess low mileage is also a double edged sward though. Some bendejo was selling a 560sl with under 10k mileage for 35,000$, get out of here.

Listen to these guys they know more than I do, but look at the window seals and the watch out for delaminating glass and also check the body especially fresh paint. I see a bmw 2002 with a lousy fresh paint like Scott said about no guarantees of no bug and you can tell they did a hodgepodge job, for fresh paint and body settle for nothing less than the best. Why go through the efford especially when I can see where they masked off the body even forgot to put some trim back on. What did the guy want for this 02, 8500$, get outta hear. It wasn't even a tii model just a run of the mill 02. I'd like to run one of those 2002 head up on the freeway.

I can't stand botched body work so watch out for that.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,509 Posts
I´m just curious if there´s anything model specific to look out for.
If it hasn't been mentioned enough yet...RUST.

What you see multiplied by 10.

As others have mentioned also...the whole car sits on numerous, various rubber parts. Anything older than 15 years would be suspect.

·
Registered
300CE-24 -91
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rust is not model specific :D
At least not where I live, my daily driver has needed rust repairs and it´s only 9years old :mad:

The 350slc I was interested in had erratic idle, did not respond very well on throttle and was leaking oil everywhere, I gave him an offer that he didn´t accept ;) :thumbsup:

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,509 Posts
Rust is not model specific
Good point.
It is age specific, however. The older the car the more likely to find rust. All that oil leaking could have prevented it.

·
Registered
1979 280SL, 1984 280SL
5,658 Posts
Rust is not model specific :D
At least not where I live, my daily driver has needed rust repairs and it´s only 9years old :mad:

The 350slc I was interested in had erratic idle, did not respond very well on throttle and was leaking oil everywhere, I gave him an offer that he didn´t accept ;) :thumbsup:

You're probably very lucky!

·
Premium Member
2010 Mercury Milan Hybrid, 1993 BMW 325i convertible
6,077 Posts
1) K-Jetronic fuel injection is expensive to have repaired and hard to find someone qualified to do so.
You are so on crack. Of all the systems in the 107, the K-Jet is the least expensive, most straight forward and simplest system to work on. No electronics, the cheapest injectors, no O2 sensor. Hell, the most complex thing about it is the WUR.

2) Climate control system is very prone to "servo" failure and expensive to repair.
No question, and restricted to the 78-81 model years. Before that it was all manual, after that it was more reliable and cheaper to fix when it did break.

3) Cruise control system is also prone to stop working.
All years.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts