Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
05 A6 3.2Q, 07 A4 2.0T S-Line
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm going to be looking at CLK55's this weekend and was wondering what things I should look out for?

What electrical components should I check in particular?
What noises should I listen for during the test drive?
Any engine issues I should look for?

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
2000 CLK55
16 Posts
These are the problems i had with in the first couple of months mine and it was a "Starmarque" car.

1. Exterior Trim needed refitting.

2. Inspection /access flap hanging down from front passenger side.

3. No tool kit...Was told by the dealership the car didn't come with one so I supplied the part number and it was ordered.

4. Hesitation at around 1,000 rpm on steady throttle causing the car "Kangaroo" between 1,000 rpm and 1,700 rpm first time misdiagnosed as a MAF sensor turns out it was something to do with the EGR valve, still not 100% but I can live with it.

5. Some of the pixels in the instrument display not working.

6. Noisey rear brakes.

7. Damaged (cracked) front spoiler.

A second 116 point check was then requested.

8. Wheel wobble at + 90 km's...dealership rebalanced the wheels, still had the wobble, dealership rebalanced again, still had the wobble dealership replaced the front tyres, still had the wobble....so I jacked the front of the car up myself and checked for excessive movement and found the steering linkage to be worn!!!! this was found after a second 116 point check mind you.

9. Car broke down at dealership.....turns out only 2 strands of wire were attached on the earth cable between the gear box and the chassis.

10. Broken Fog light bracket.

11. Air Conditioner Compressor leaking oil.

All these things have been fixed, but now I have a rattle/knocking in the engine at around 1700 rpm, not diagnosed yet, oh boy!!! and this, with a car that was something like $200,000 new and has travelled less than 50,000 km's

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, sounds like a lot. Dumb question, but did you get the inspection done at a different dealer? My mechanic is a bit far from the dealer and I'm wondering if I needed it inspected locally would it be safe to take it to the local MB dealer or something like a Carmax? The dealer I'm dealing with is a used car dealer and not a MB one or any other brand. What worries me the most is a lot of these used car dealers sell frame damaged cars but I'm not sure how easy it is to check for frame damage other than taking it to a shop that uses laser diagnostics.

·
Registered
2000 CLK55
16 Posts
I asked M/B for a second 116 point check by another dealer but the service manager where i bought the car said he would personaly check the car , (he must have trained the staff) LOL, an Independent who is a Benz enthusiast would be the my choice....good luck.

David

·
Registered
Tacoma PU
71 Posts
Things to look out for?

mystor said:
These are the problems i had with in the first couple of months mine and it was a "Starmarque" car.

1. Exterior Trim needed refitting.

2. Inspection /access flap hanging down from front passenger side.

3. No tool kit...Was told by the dealership the car didn't come with one so I supplied the part number and it was ordered.

4. Hesitation at around 1,000 rpm on steady throttle causing the car "Kangaroo" between 1,000 rpm and 1,700 rpm first time misdiagnosed as a MAF sensor turns out it was something to do with the EGR valve, still not 100% but I can live with it.

5. Some of the pixels in the instrument display not working.

6. Noisey rear brakes.

7. Damaged (cracked) front spoiler.

A second 116 point check was then requested.

8. Wheel wobble at + 90 km's...dealership rebalanced the wheels, still had the wobble, dealership rebalanced again, still had the wobble dealership replaced the front tyres, still had the wobble....so I jacked the front of the car up myself and checked for excessive movement and found the steering linkage to be worn!!!! this was found after a second 116 point check mind you.

9. Car broke down at dealership.....turns out only 2 strands of wire were attached on the earth cable between the gear box and the chassis.

10. Broken Fog light bracket.

11. Air Conditioner Compressor leaking oil.

All these things have been fixed, but now I have a rattle/knocking in the engine at around 1700 rpm, not diagnosed yet, oh boy!!! and this, with a car that was something like $200,000 new and has travelled less than 50,000 km's

Purchased a "certified" (CLK430) from Mercedes-Benz of Sarasota, FL and the car had many problems: Mass airflow sensor, CD changer was bad, front fog light mounts were cracked, front spoiler "insert" was broken, most of the underside mounting tabs for the side skirts were missing, rear tail light was cracked, brakes were worn out, and NONE of the fluids and filters were changed. The salesman was a complete SLEEZE too! He said the car was on the show room floor!!!

·
Registered
2002 CLK430
1,681 Posts
I bought a certified pre-owned CLK from a dealer (3 years/100K). After bringing it home and performing my own inspection, the only thing I could find wrong was one of the intake snorkels was loose and the first aid kit was empty. When it comes to dealers, YMMV. In the 30,000 miles since taking ownership, one button on the HVAC panel broke, and the world famous brake switch failed. Both items were covered under the warrantee.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
A neighbor of mine bought one of these on ebay. He said he experienced some "minor" electrical issues at first, but that the engine/transmission were great! Sorry, I don't know the model year or what he paid for it, but I don't think I would buy a Mercedes that way.

Good luck!
M

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
mystor

mystor said:

[removed items 1-11]

G'Day David,

Wow! Did the Starmarque warranty at least cover most of these?

Cheers,
M

·
Registered
04 CL55
23 Posts
Most of the things I had were small items. Front crack airdam/bumper is pretty common as it hangs really low. If you pull over a bump stop in a parking lot, when you put it in reverse it hangs up and you break it. Dealer did some software scans and clean up, cruise switch needed replacing, had fault code, and that was about it.

Good luck, hope you make a decision you are happy with. I cant say enough about how much I love my CLK55 Cab

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Stuff so far:

1. MAF sensor
2. motor mounts (vibration when car is at a complete stop)
3. squeaky seats (fixable with felt)
4. seats not moving forward/back (check seat motors or damage to tracks)

Minor stuff:

- all buttons on climate control, radio, steering wheel controls, sunroof, etc.

·
Registered
CLK320
945 Posts
D2k,

How's the double nickels? :D

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Mr Pie,

So far so good. I have a great mechanic in Bellevue. No major problems though unless you consider the things I listed as major. I've been driving the Accord to work more these days b/c of the weather. My wife takes the CLK around to do local errands every now and then. :)

Bought it back in May 2005 (when I joined this forum) and it had 25k miles on it, I'm now up to 42k! That extended warranty I bought with it has been paying for itself though that's for sure. It has paid for motor mounts ($500), new climate control unit ($700), and a few other things.

BTW, where in Seattle are you Pie? I'm about 3 blocks away from the Costco in Kirkland.

Also, I realized after I posted a reply that I was the original poster, lol. Yup, the winter season is slowing down my brain function.

·
Registered
CLK320
945 Posts
I'm downtown Seattle right now but looking at buying a place up in the Rose Hill area, we could be neighbors... giggle like a school girl. j/k I work in Redmond, so I make the nice 520 commute each day.

I got mine late Sept 04 also with an extended warranty, but I guess I've been lucky as I really haven't had any problems, plus I also got insurance on my warranty so that if I don't use it I get my money back. No one tells you about this option but they will if you ask.

·
Registered
Various Rental Cars
310 Posts
Get a Starmarked one at least...

Stuff that's gone wrong in mine since I bought it (just 5 months ago)

Window Regulator
Creaking Dashboard (the dealer padded it)
Creaking windows (I put some silicone on the rubber weatherstriping)
MAF
CD Changer (not yet fixed, waiting for it to completely die)
BAS/ESP light comes on once in a while (dealer replaced a brake switch but it still does it... waiting for the next big thing to break to bring it in)

Cat Converter's on its way out (rattling)
Sticking seatback latch

·
Registered
2001 Mercedes-Benz CLK55 AMG
13 Posts
Hey just an FYI, my 01 clk55 just hit 180k tonight. My 1st cat started making noise as if something was broken inside at about 150. I have an awesome mechanic- he removed the cat and left the 2nd one only. Appears somehow they aren't monitored. Then around 170 the noise was back. Turned out the 2nd cat was done too, so he charged me $20usd to remove it and make it straight pipes. I'm in Ma. I think the inspections here are a little strict! But since my check engine light stayed off- I passed inspection no problem. I just went to a station that I knew wouldn't visually inspect the undercarriage as I think they are supposed to. This was a tremendous help because I've already spent sooo much $$, didn't want pay $400 per cat. Hope this helps someone. N my car runs great!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts