1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
94 C280
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Fellas

I am "visiting" from the W202 forum...

I am seriously considering the purchase of a 1985 300CD for my college-age daughter. It is a one owner, CA car, 118K miles, supposedly in perfect condition in and out. Yellow with tan MB tex interior. Asking price is $7300. I have yet to go see it since it's located a few hours fm my home. The owner is supposed to send me the VIN, list of maint records, and some photos via email, and I will decide whether to go see it after that...

I know nothing of Diesels and less of the W123 chassis. Is this a reasonable price to start from? Could you help me come up with a checklist to go do a PPI myself?

TIA,

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Hi Serge,

The W123 diesel is a good choice for college students--easy to maintain, good fuel efficiency, and highly robust and nearly bulletproof engines that will give you thousands of miles of fun. I have one myself and I'm currently in college too.

$7300 sounds high but if it's really mint then I say go for it.

These two articles should help you decide and give you advise on what to look for:

http://mbdieseldiy.tripod.com/dog.htm

http://mercedes-w123.net/buyers_guide.htm

I hope this helps. Others will chime in too. Goodluck!

A

·
0 Posts
make sure the master cylinder/brake power booster isnt about to die. one sign of this is fluid seepage at the bottom of the booster. not always regularly visible, but look at the frame underneath, if it has all the paint stripped off from the brake fluid, and is rusty looking, demand to see an invoice of its recent replacement, else ur in for a 1200 dollar bill at the shop. check for calipers not being half frozen up from age, and people not changing brake fluid. CHECK THAT THE MAIN TRANSMISSION SEAL ISNT LEAKING, EVEN SLOW DRIBBLES, GOD WHAT A HEADACHE TO REPLACE! alignment must be good, no bent tie rods. no broken shocks. will rattle a bit at bumps. no bad ball joints. will rattle worse at bumps. no shifting problems, these trannys are expensive to replace. look that the axles havent been replaced with ones from a 190 e, and ghetto extensions are welded in to make them fit. otherwise, she is an excellent car to own, if everythings ok, she's EASY to maintain, just can get expensive if u need to start restoring one thing after the other. price still seems a LITTLE HIGH though. normally she should have like only 50 k miles and be a museum quality showpiece for that price.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts