Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
420SEL
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at this CLK55 2001, 72k miles.
Anything to look out for, what are the weak point to look into.
Also, is the motor harder or more expensive to maintain compared to a 430?

I had a S500 before so I know all parts are pricey? but is 55 a car to stay away from in used form like the 600 is?

Thanks

·
Registered
Hopes & Dreams
1,418 Posts
Honestly I'm no tech, but you can run a Car Fax and also request all the service papers from the seller to see if that particular car has had any specific issues in the past.

·
Registered
2002 (W208) CLK55 AMG Cabriolet
28 Posts
Tbilisi79 said:
I am looking at this CLK55 2001, 72k miles.
Anything to look out for, what are the weak point to look into.
Also, is the motor harder or more expensive to maintain compared to a 430?

I had a S500 before so I know all parts are pricey? but is 55 a car to stay away from in used form like the 600 is?

Thanks
As long as it's been taken care of... it should be OK. So get maintenance records. If the car has been at a dealer, you can get it straight from Mercedes - in fact, I'd recommend getting the full card history from Mercedes anyway, which will tell you if the alternator and instrument cluster have been replaced, typical problems with the CLK55 W208.

Other things to look for from my very limited experience: control arms (they tend to crack on this car if it's driven like it's meant to) and general maintenance items like spark plugs (Mercedes says replace every 100K miles OR 5 YEARS, and for some reason a lot of people ignore the latter part; in an engine like this it matters).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts