Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
93 190E 2.6; 82 300 SD Turbo
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
afternoon,

having nothing better to do, i have decided to ask you all what i could do with this...my center console up by the coin tray isnt secure...

Look up at the top of the shifter and you'll see the space, I dont know what do/how to resecure it. I think those idiots at Circuit City did something with it when they looked at my fader switch.

Also that rubber surround in the back of the shifter has come off..glue maybe?

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Yes, there are wooden tabs/connectors on the forward part of the console wood – if the wood is not removed correctly the tabs can break and you get the space.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
very easy part to ruin, and I have no doubts circuit city messed it up. I wouldn't let those monkey's w/in 20 feet of my car just for that reason.
To resecure it you can try epoxy, silicone doesn't seem to have the strength. You can not get the rubber piece seperatly, only w/ the whole piece of wood.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sh!t, i knew those morons would do somthign dumb. how much wil this trim piece set me back? estimates?

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
jhodg5ck - 3/27/2005 11:21 AM

I charge 265.

Jonathan
Whoa! For just the shift console
piece or all interior wood
pieces? Is the wood perfect?
Looks like I got a good deal.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I doubt I'll be purchasing a new one anytime soon, funds are tight. I have to look into this ball joint / steering tie rod issue and see how much that will run. Also have transmission issues, so we'll see what happends. I appreciate the answers and offer jonathan.

Kris

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Ball joint I need done aswell. Its making a knocking sound from the front right.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
MB doesn't make the little piece seperate, it only comes as the Whole thing.. What did you pay for a new trans suround? My price was a good bit under list[8D]

Jonathan

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
I paid about that for all the interior wood trim including the surround. The surround piece I got was in fair condition and on the border line to leave it or refinish it – but a good piece of intact wood. That’s why I asked as to the condition of the wood/finish. If you’re selling a perfect showroom piece w/o cracks, warps, fading, or blemishes then your price seems fair.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Ahh..well, that's my price for brand new, never installed perfect in every way wood[8D]

Oh, plus about 9 for shipping...

Jonathan

·
Registered
Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
4,445 Posts
I've tried various glues for this wood but JB Weld is the only one that has held. Make sure everything is clean and down to bare wood, then apply the JB Weld epoxy and clamp it until has set. I'd suggest the five-minute version but it was the 24 hour version that fixed my console (done before I found the 5-minute version).

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Your all going to laugh at this one:

I took out the center console trim piece, as pictured above. When i examined the front end where the space was closer, I found this wafer like object with somthing resembling sandpaper on top and bottom, I took out it and IT WAS A NAIL FILE. Some stupid fool's nail file got stuck in my trim and caused it to separate, lucikly i took it out and pressed the wood to the plastic bottom and it went back together. Now I took out all my switches and I am gonna clean this thing, what should i use? Also looks like i may be able to just glue this rubber piece around the shifter back in suggestions??

LOL a Nail File..stupid thing actually saved me 200 some..Ha.

Kris

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Glad you got it fixed ‘for free.’ Yes, there’s a little wood wafer that holds it together (I think carpenters call them biscuits, but I could be wrong), in any event, that’s the thing that gets broken by people who do not know how to remove the wood piece correctly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts