Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1988 300E '91 560SEL
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have another car, another 560 and the Clear coat is spotty. Normally in the past when this has happen I have just repainted the whole car. Is it possiable to just repaint the clear coat and have the car look good as new?

·
Registered
1984 280SEL AMG
701 Posts
It can be done, but it's not as good as repainting the whole car, and put a fresh clear coat on.
To spot paint clear you need to get the closest match to the old clear coat, due to chemical interaction posabilitys between the old and new.

Ok, your gonna spot paint clear?
Step 1 ) take sand paper and sanding block ( high grit 220 or 440 wet or dry ) start sanding in circuler motion untill area to be painted feels like it's all the same level. ( lotta work there already ) Now you've got an area, if the spot your trying to fix is the size of a dime, you've now sanded to about the size of the diamater of a grapefrut, Times that per spot.
Step 2 ) Mask, Mask the area aproxamately 1 inch past the end of the sanded area. Masking tape and newspaper is best.
Step 3 ) Paint. Take your spray gun and shoot the area in slow even passes untill area is wet. Let set. Paint again. let dry.
Step 4 ) Sand again. ( man, your dedacated [:D]) Sand untill the new clear matches the level of the old clear.
Step 5 ) Compound. Use a light sanding compound to the area, using an electric buffer with a hard buff pad. Then use a finishing compound with a soft pad. then wax.. wax... wax.

OMG I did all that work and now I have more spots to fix!!![:0]..

See, best to paint the whole car first off, that way if it spots up again you can take it back to the paint shop that did it, to fix it.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Jessie - 5/16/2005 4:52 AM

OK, I have another car, another 560 and the Clear coat is spotty. Normally in the past when this has happen I have just repainted the whole car. Is it possiable to just repaint the clear coat and have the car look good as new?
Hey, you could just take it to Maaco. I also hear that the guy who runs the Slurpee machine at local 7/11's puts on new clearcoat on slow days.

·
Registered
1988 300E '91 560SEL
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually Macco has painted cars for me in the past and I have had very good luck. I guess I will be taking this one to Macco to have the whole car repainted as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts