Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what to do. Some opinions would be appreciated. Currently have a 98 SL500 and am on the list for a 2003 with sport option. I'm kinda wishing that I had ordered an SL55, even though the price difference is pretty significant. Although my 98 SL500 is no slouch, it's not FAST, just 'fast'. Some extra horses would really help move that 2 ton hunk of metal. <br> <br> So, do I...<br> * go through with the 2003 SL500? <br> * Switch my order to an SL55, knowing that it might be a year or more until I get it? <br> * Stay with the SL500, order the SL55 as well, 'flip' the SL500 and hope to break even, and drive the SL500 for (mostly) free for a year?<br> * Lastly, maybe hold off on the order, and get a 2004(?) with the 5.5 litre 350 HP motor?<br> <br> Would definitely like to hear people's thoughts! Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, well,<br> <br> I would like to have this problem to solve ;-))<br> <br> Sorry, but I canot halp a lot, like I am in Europe, the only I can tell you, is there will be no break even possible on the SL500 here in one year (people trying to do so are allways trapped, by the increase of level of production of MB) I do not know for US. <br> <br> Your last guess, is really a guess, the 5.5 litre with around 350HP is what I get from unnofficial sources, so it can be postponed, or even not distributed in the US, why not ? (personnally I got a good level of trustin this but, its only a personnal feeling, not a clue las !)<br> <br> What you can also do, is buying the SL500 and have it boosted by Brabus, Carlsson or someone else ... <br> <br> Regards. <br>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sell these cars, and we have a 3 yr wait for the SL500 and goodness knows what for the AMG. With that kind of demand, I can't imagine the SL500 would depreciate much all in the short term. And, the AMG, I think, is a spectacular improvement. If you are a car guy, I think you put your name on that list and sell the 500 when it comes. Worth every penny, aguably the best performance/luxury car in the world right now.<br> <br> Just my $.20<br> <br> Regards, Lawrence.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would get an SL55 if time isn't a major concern. I just called my dealer to put my name on the list and holy cow - for being number 10 on the list I am going to have to wait 2.5 years from today. I just bought an S500 so I am not too overwhelmed by the time but for you, I don't know. Overall, though, I would get an SL55 because I think it's worth the wait and you really should put your name on the list now because once people see it, the list is going to build up exponentially. MB will only product 4000 SL55s a year for the entire world with half of that quantity going to the U.S. and divided up into who knows how many dealerships.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mmmmmm as phil has already said its a nice problem<br>
<br>
My contact at MB tells me that due to the fact the German economy is on the floor, German orders ( probably from speculators ) are being cancelled and that my order offically due at the end of 2003, should be available this summer. I suspect that much of the European production will be sold in the US. Waiting times will come down once the car is launched. The SL55 is a premimium product and offers MB the greatest profit, I would expect waiting times to come down on these as well.MB will always protect second hand values however on this model so they are never going to flood the market with cars they cant sell in Europe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Based on what I'm hearing here and on mbworld.org, I'll probably go for the SL55. <br> <br> I'll leave my name on the wait list for the SL500 (not much downside there, it's not like I'm likely to earn that much on the $1000 that they're holding--seems like all I can do in the market is LOSE money these days ;). <br> <br> I'll put my name on the list for the SL55. I've got a 100K mile warranty on my 98 SL500, and it's only got 36K miles on it now--so if it takes a year or so for the SL55 to show up, that's no big deal. <br> <br> I'm hearing that the 5.5 litre 350 HP motors will be out on the SL500s around the end of this year, and I suspect that'll hit the resale value of an SL500, so driving the SL500 for a year and flipping it is a less attractive proposition. The new 3.5L SL will have almost as many horses as the current 5.0L, which is not surprising, seeing that Nissan can get 260 HP out of their 3.5L v6 that they stuff in a $25,000 Altima.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I live in Sweden and will be moving to US where there are no SL 500's even around sticker price..<br> <br> My suggestion is get the SL 500 and love it while you can.. and after six months.. sell for 10 to 15 k over MSRP and grab the SL 55
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, I placed an order with the dealer today for an SL55...looks like an 18 month wait. Is that consistent with what other people are hearing?<br> <br> The original SL500 that I ordered a year ago (silver/charcoal w. sport option) should arrive in July. I'll probably take that and drive it until the SL55 arrives. I'll probably take a bit of a hit on the depreciation, but hopefully it won't be too much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good Show!

I think that the SL55 will remain the most desireable car on the market for some time. <br> <br> Regards, Lawrence.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well...I'd keep driving your current SL and wait a while before taking the plunge. The 230 has an awful lot of new technology and I'd let a couple of years of warranty work 'ripen' the car a bit more. I think you'll have a better experience and the price is also sure to be more reasonable than now when the car is still such a novelty (unless, of course, money is no object). I heard that a lot of dealers are charging substatially over MSRP because of the high demand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i think kpg's suggestion to wait is wise- now if we only had more info on the upcoming 5.5l/4 valve

engine! what a shame that the new sl was not introduced with this new engine!
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top