Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2014 GLK250 (ordered new), wife: 2013 Smart cab/Previous: 1985 190E 2.3, 1997 E320, 1992 190E 2.6
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I have what I should say a severe oil leak. I have changed the valve cover gasket and a front gasket months ago by my mechanic.

I still loose oil. Approx 1 quarter per 1,000 Miles. Is that a lot? I have approx 116,000 miles.

Next step would be to change the oil pan gasket? I made a search in the forum and what I read seems to be an expensive move. I can't do it by myself. I have a very trusty mechanic but still...Is it an expensive repair to do?

My other big concern is if I go ahead with the repair. I hope it will fix my problem but if not??? If you consider the above gaskets are changed such valve cover, front and the future repair of the oil pan gasket and IF I keep loosing oil, where/what will be the next step?

I must know prior to do the oil pan gasket fix. I am "affraid" to start to put more and more money before without an end if you understand what I mean...

BTW, I beleive that I do NOT burn my oil. There is no blue smoke behind and I have oil spots underneath...

Please keep in mind that I have a 1992 190e 2.6 (6 cylinder in line).

As usual, many thanks in advance for your advises and recommendation,

·
Premium Member
1986 190E 2.3-16, 1992 190E 2.3, 2015 GL350 BTC, and 2020 GLS450
2,393 Posts
In my experience with 20 years of ownership of my 8v, I do not see anything out of the norm with a loss of a quart per thousand miles.

That is roughly 20 hours of operation (assuming 50 miles per hour) which is around a quarter million revolutions. There is oil loss through the flaming process brought about by the spark plug. Some oil sprays through the exhaust valves and out the tail pipe. Some oil seeps around seals.

Unless you have a visible leak, do nothing. If you do see a leak, wash everything completely clean and run the motor to isolate the source of the leak. You may find sources other than the motor. How long ago did you change the power steering hoses? Do you use a funnel when you top off the oil? How are your brake lines? How old is your oil filler cap?

·
Registered
2014 GLK250 (ordered new), wife: 2013 Smart cab/Previous: 1985 190E 2.3, 1997 E320, 1992 190E 2.6
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
In my experience with 20 years of ownership of my 8v, I do not see anything out of the norm with a loss of a quart per thousand miles.

That is roughly 20 hours of operation (assuming 50 miles per hour) which is around a quarter million revolutions. There is oil loss through the flaming process brought about by the spark plug. Some oil sprays through the exhaust valves and out the tail pipe. Some oil seeps around seals.

Unless you have a visible leak, do nothing. If you do see a leak, wash everything completely clean and run the motor to isolate the source of the leak. You may find sources other than the motor. How long ago did you change the power steering hoses? Do you use a funnel when you top off the oil? How are your brake lines? How old is your oil filler cap?
Hello Lomtevas,

You beleive that it is "normal" to loose 1 quarter for each 1,000 miles???? Are you serious?? Come on. I drive cars for more than 37 years and this is the first time I read that it is "normal" for so low milage to poor oil because the light goes on beside a car that burn its oil.

May be it is because of my conversion figures. I live in Canada and we use Kilometers. This is in KM then, I will convert back to miles:

KM: for a total of 5,000 Kilometers, I needed to put about 3.5 to 4 litres of oil before changing my oil at 5,000 kilometers. It takes 6 litres when changing oil (AND OIL FILTER). The oil light warning goes on at the first 1,200 KM then when I poor 1 liter, the oil warning light goes back on between 800 to 1,000 Kilometer.

MILE: for a total of 3106 miles, I needed to put about 0.92 to 1 gallon of oil before changing my oil at 3106 miles. It takes 1.6 gallon when changing oil. The oil light warning goes on at the first 750 miles then when I poor 0.92 gallon, the oil warning light goes back on between 500 to 625 miles.

Also lomtevas, as I explained at the top is that I do not have blue smoke or smoke. Meaning that I do not burn oil as you wrote.

You have a good point about cleaning the engine and check for any leaks after. I unfortunately do not have a place to clean the entire engine and see where the oil will drop. But because I have changed the valve cover and the front gaskets, next step would be to change the oil pan gasket and I need to know what else should generate a loss of engine oil while put on the side the burning oil possibility...

And to answer to your question about power steering or brake...no problem there, it is really engine oil I loose.

Thanks of trying helping me.

Any other suggestions recommandations? I need to know prior to go to my mechanic.

·
2.3-16 | A3 2.0T | 986 Boxster
5,048 Posts
How about your valve seals. My 2.6 used some oil and that would have been where I looked if it used as much as yours with no visible leaks.

I changed the pan on mine, I had a small crack. It does involve lifting / supporting the engine. Is your skid plate covered in oil? If not you probably don't have a leak down there.

·
Premium Member
1986 190E 2.3-16, 1992 190E 2.3, 2015 GL350 BTC, and 2020 GLS450
2,393 Posts
Hello Lomtevas, ... Are you serious?? Come on.
I am very serious. Motor oil participates in the combustion process and you should not be surprised that oil is consumed. I estimate 1 quart for every thousand miles and I am not joking.

Certainly I have no clue about the maintenance history of your car. You may have a rich air/fuel mixture which dilutes your motor oil and increases burning. Burning oil does not mean blue smoke. Blue smoke takes place at oil volumes well above normal combustion and means a tear down is needed to repair. I also do not know the status of your front and rear crankshaft seals and/or crankshaft play that may allow oil out.

So without a detailed history and perhaps some photos of the problem I am stabbing at the wind and my opinions mean nothing.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
My 190E had an oil leak at the oil level sender, replaced that and it was well. The valve cover gasket was weeping a little but nothing to be worried about...until the compression in #2 and #4 were determined to be low. Had a valve job done and the engine's nice and clean now.

You have to determine where the oil originates from, then figure out which components or gaskets require replacement. A good degreasing is in order.

Also, what type of oil are you using? My experience with the thinner oil (10W-30) is not as good, so I lost some oil there. With 15W-40 or 20W-50, the car runs better and does not leak.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How about your valve seals. My 2.6 used some oil and that would have been where I looked if it used as much as yours with no visible leaks.

I changed the pan on mine, I had a small crack. It does involve lifting / supporting the engine. Is your skid plate covered in oil? If not you probably don't have a leak down there.
Is the "skid plate" the bottom protective plate? If so, yes I do have amount of oil overthere and on the street where its parked.

I read that it is at least a 4 hour job. Start to be expensive if its something else.

I guess that the best thing to do for my situation will be to have my mechanic doing a severe inspection, wash, look, etc to see where this damn lost of oil is coming.

By the way, here they put 5W-30. I do not know why because few years ago, the "standard" oil spec was 10W-40. I will see if I have a thicker oil and see the results.

For now, it seems that the cheapest way to solve my problem is to keep pooring oil when needed...

Thanks Mr.Beige, Lometvas and rjb190e

·
Registered
1991 190e 2.6 automatic
760 Posts
are you burning oil or losing oil?

if you are losing oil, why don't you clean the engine with a nice engine cleaner spray and then drive it 1 day and see where its coming from? instead of going from one thing to another

i had a leak on mine, that was coming from the front, where the crank pulley is... it was the crank seal

i changed it, along with RTV on the timiming cover and the top timing cover seal too. I have no more leaks

but my car still uses a lot of oill per 5000 km... my car has over 500,000km ( real mileage but odo shows 240 :) ) i can use about 3-4 but it also depends on what oil i use... i noticed synthetic burn faster... i use 10-40 now, but next time i'm going to try 15-40

·
Registered
1993 190e-2.3
765 Posts
I know at least on my 93 2.3 that the valve cover can still leak slightly after a new gasket. Slight leaks do add up to what seems to be adding oil all the time. Also, even an oil cap can leak.......run along to the back of the cylinder head.....and make something else look like its leaking.
I run 15-40 diesel/fleet oil in mine, except for the 3 coldest months here in Pennsylvania. Then it gets 10-30. Even my MB dealer and Indy uses 15-40 year round.
I'm not happy about oil leaks until the drip pan under the car in bone dry every oil change.
With all my leaks under control I was still using about a quart every 1,500 miles. The head gasket finally let go at around 228,000 miles, and after that repair my oil consumption is way better. My head gasket must have been slightly comprimised for more than a year before dramatically letting loose. I'm in the 2-2,500 mile per Qt range now at 247,000 miles. I pulled the head myself and only replaced the gasket, simply because the car never overheated. Right now, age, rust and Pa road "salt" are my biggest enemies.

·
Registered
2000 C230 Kompressor, 2005 Volvo S60 T5 AWD, 1992 190E 2.3 -Totaled
951 Posts
I remember reading some where that 10w-40 synthetic oil will get very thin when hot and can slowly seep past the oil control rings (which is 1 reason why some people will loose about 1 quart every 1500-2500K) as well as through the gaskets on our engines because synthetic is thinner than conventional and the gaskets on these motors are designed for conventional oil use.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts