Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1979 300D - 108k miles/ 2014 E250
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad bought this car in 1981 with 56k. It now has about 107k. It has been garage kept, I dont think it has seen a drop of rain in years. He died in 2008 and I think he always wanted me to have it.

I am trying to decide what to do with it. It is in very good condition of course, but it has needs like any 32 year old car. I have tinkered with it as I have had time, mostly thanks to this forum. It even has the electronic replacement to the dreaded servo. The lack of a turbo is ok with me - it keeps up with traffic fine around here (more rural than urban area).

1) Preservation/Continue as is - I only drive it in the fall / winter /spring. Avoiding salty roads and rain; choosing to keep it out of the summer heat to protect the interior (paint slowly heading toward needing some help, but not anytime soon).

2) Make it a daily driver. Would need a little work to do this, but not much - plus expected continuing repairs (axles, front bushings, -normal stuff)

3) Sell it - not really sure I want to do this; it does have sentimental value and has been in the family for 30 years. I do have a hard time finding time to tinker with it. Right now I have a new water pump, valve adjustment stuff, and a few other odds an ends to replace and I havent had time to change oil in it this summer as intended (less than 1,000 miles on the oil but approaching / past 6 month interval). I have driven it less than 2,000 miles since January 2011.

Please share some thoughts and opinons on this - I know there are other factors (can I afford to keep it - yes; do I have the garage space - yes) but I cannot think of everything to share right now...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know nothing of Mercedes, but I am a 51 year old man with adult children and no living parents. The answer to your question is an absolute no brainer. I can say with virtual certainty that you would regret selling that car.

Unless one of your children needs a kidney transplant, don't even think about it.

What I would give to have something connected to my father (who was mostly a useless drunk) sitting in my garage-- PRICELESS

Here's what I would do in your situtation:

Put a dehumidifier in the garage and keep doing what you're doing. You can almost halt the aging process on the metal, set up google alerts to find hard-get-parts and snatch them up whenever they come your way cheap. Get preservation advice from a local museum. Think very long term. Don't let anyone under 25 drive it. In 20 years, it may be time to part with it and it will be worth real money, enough to pay for a year or two of college for a kid or a grand kid.

good luck

·
Registered
1977 W123.123 1995 W124.034
3,868 Posts
Option #1 is the way to go. My 240D is a similar situation in that it was my Grandmother's car and it is still in very good condition with low miles. Preserve it and keep it forever.

·
Registered
1981 W123 300D non turbo, 1992 190E 1.8 <=> 2.0
6,561 Posts
Please share some thoughts and opinons on this - I know there are other factors (can I afford to keep it - yes; do I have the garage space - yes) but I cannot think of everything to share right now...
I think you've said it all really - this make option 1 the obvious choice for me too - but only if you actually want it!

If you don't want it I'd say after 4 years of ownership you've done your bit and can now pass it on to someone else. I see no point in keeping the car if you don't actually want it.

·
Registered
5 Speed "85" Euro TD , 5 speed "85" Euro 240D, "79" 5 spd 240D, 5 spd "94" Dodge/Cummins PU
664 Posts
A 300D with only 107K on it is not even broken in. I doubt you will need to worry about any major things like axles or suspension problems. Just keep the oil changed, the valves adjusted, and drive it.

·
Registered
1979 300D - 108k miles/ 2014 E250
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input. I am not going to make a move on it anytime soon at least. Would be hard to part with it unless I knew it was to someone who would take proper care of it.

Cancer_Researcher - I am in Central NC; not far from High Point/Greensboro area.

Thanks all

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
1981 Mercedes 300D
1,249 Posts
I'd say option 1 as well. It's not everyday that you find a w123 with that low of miles. Fix the problems it has now, and inspect/replace other components (especially rubber - hoses, belts, bushings,etc.). I'd definitely replace the rubber brake hoses and fuel lines if they haven't been done before. Keep the valves adjusted, oil changed and enjoy it on those nice days.

·
Registered
1981 Mercedes 300D
1,249 Posts
It's sad. There used to be several w123's here on the island. Now there's only two that are still driven - one of which is mine. The other one is a 1983 and a guy who used to be on my bowling league drives it...but I haven't seen it around lately. I'm starting to wonder if it still runs...

There's about 4 w126's left on the island, but all of them are gassers.

·
Registered
5 Speed "85" Euro TD , 5 speed "85" Euro 240D, "79" 5 spd 240D, 5 spd "94" Dodge/Cummins PU
664 Posts
Yah, they are disappearing fast with scrap prices up:(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts