Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1983 300D Turbo
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have been searching for half an hour and find it hard to believe that there has never been a disscussion on tires. So anyways my wife needs new tires on her 300D Turbo. What have you guys had that you have liked? And what should I avoid? Please keep in mind that I, like yourselves am a poor Benz owner, and I live in Norhtern Ohio so when I say all weather I need ALL weather.

Thanks in advance,
Lauren and Dave

·
Registered
2017 Police Interceptor Utility, 2017 Police Interceptor Sedan
7,742 Posts
Akron1 - 3/29/2005 7:16 PM

Ok I have been searching for half an hour and find it hard to believe that there has never been a disscussion on tires. So anyways my wife needs new tires on her 300D Turbo. What have you guys had that you have liked? And what should I avoid? Please keep in mind that I, like yourselves am a poor Benz owner, and I live in Norhtern Ohio so when I say all weather I need ALL weather.

Thanks in advance,
Lauren and Dave
I have been very happy with 205/70/R14 Uniroyal Tiger Paws on my 280E. Quiet ride, very good grip, good wear and reasonable price. Previously I have had good luck with Yokohama A378 in that same size as well as Dunlop D65T although I think this latter is no longer made. If you want the best ride and handling, Michelin MXV4 are the ticket, but if you want longevity they are most emphatically NOT the ticket!

Hope this helps

Ike

A

·
0 Posts
i would go with Conti's (Continental) or Falkens, but if ur not entrusting ur life to ur tires at high speed, any old tires will do. im currently stuck with sigma's, caus the guy that had the car before me had some wierd not factory reccommended tire size, and i was too retarded to notice, and they said at the tire kingdom where i had my tierods changed and Bilstein HD's installed that sigma's were the only ones available for that car. apparently even the profi's are too dumb to just read the plaque inside the door. oh well, 5 k miles more, and the rear will be balded, 40 k more, and the front will be done too. than i'll have the "correct" size and brand again. too bad i'll have Borbet's by then. (i financially hope)

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
The best tires I've had were BF Goodrich "The advantage T/A" the treadwear rating was around 640 (very high). I had them on my Buick Park Avenue and they stuck like glue in snow, even when they were nearly worn down to the wear bars. Any better type of BF Goodrich tire will have an equal or higher treadwear rating, which is the key to buying tires, you should be able to find them for around $60/each for the Benz.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
I've been running on Goodyear Regatta 2 and so far they've been good. Great in the rain too, and it's very hard to chirp my tires now that I have them. Before when I had Metro tires the 1-2 shift would chirp the rear tires when the engine was cold.

I think they were like $70 each. Comparably, the new Goodyear Assurance seems to be a good choice too...all weather tires... Hope this helps.

Oh and stock size is 195/70/14 for a 300D Turbo.

·
Registered
1983 300D Turbo
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice. I know i can pull up tire rack and see what is made but i really wanted to hear what people have liked. Thanks again for all the advice.

Dave and Lauren

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Hey I remember you have the same color car as mine, right? [:p]

Just remember when purchasing tires don't get old ones even if they're plenty in stock. Chances are the rubber has dried somewhat and lost its optimal softness (it has to be plyable so it can grip and perform). If I had the extra $ I would have gone with Goodyear Assurance, BFG Traction series, or Yokohama's. Best of luck!

·
Registered
1983 300D Turbo
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still working on those pictures. I'll try to get them up tomorrow. The dealer said when I went to get touch up paint that the colour is Ivory White? I'll try and get some pictures up tomorrow. I'm looking at the BFG tractions right now trying to get a price! Hope I can afford them. Unfortunatly I need all five tires replaced. Oh the joys of buying a used car. (Grrr)

Thakns again

Dave

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Check your tab beside the hood latch, there should be a 681 on the lower left if it's the same Manila Beige color.

Goodluck on the price! Hope you get a good deal.

·
Registered
1983 300D Turbo
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow... I had the BFG's mounted this morning and what a differnce I'm definately happy. Got all five for $375. Hope I did ok. I had tiger paws on the front (badly worn and cracked?) and a pirrellei and an unidentifiable tire on the back. Now the car rides so much smoother and feels like its tighter on the raod. Now i just need shocks and a steering box and the car will be perfect.[:)] Thanks again for all the advice guys.

Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts