Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

what tires do you run on YOUR benz?

3K views 37 replies 28 participants last post by  flavio81 
#1 ·
myself, i prefer the Falken Azenis... grippy as hell, but they wear out rather quickly. i had potenza's on before them.

See less See more
#2 ·
Dunlop SP4's currently, but switching to potenzas when I get my new wheels.

#4 ·
Batou said:
myself, i prefer the Falken Azenis... grippy as hell, but they wear out rather quickly. i had potenza's on before them.

Thats funny, I have the Falken tires on them (came with the car), and I actually like them. Very quiet, and they do grip well. I didn't think they were all that great of a brand, but I like them.

I was thinking of going with the Continental Conti's (?) next time around, they had really good reviews on Tirerack.

#6 ·
NüR-SPEC said:
i use Falken Ziex. almost as fun as Azenis, but better treadwear for street use. and they are priced as if they're giving them away..
I got the same Falken Ziex. They seem to be pretty good tyres from my experience no awful tyre noises, good grip, and good treadwear. Yeah the price is good was AU$1000 for the 4 of them (not bad price for 18's)

#7 · (Edited)
I have Bridgestone Potenza pole position S-03 on Lorinser staggered 17's. I have never had a tire stick as good as these. I used to have both wet and dry traction problems prior to switching to these when getting on the gas. I have never broken these loose yet nor in a turn at insane speeds getting on freeways. Down side...rediculous prices and horrible tread life!

#10 ·
well... these aren't gonna last you any longer... shorter actually, but they're much grippier, and will get you around corners faster than you ever wanted to.

(i can go on butterfly on/offramps @ about 60 mph.

RA1's i believe are r-compound tires.. aka race tires.

#11 ·
I was just looking around tire rack and dicount tire direct to see what kind of prices I could expect...everything appears to be about $75 to $100 cheaper per tire of what I was paying for the S-03's. Only problem is that I am having a bit of a problem finding 265-40-17's which I run on the back. I did notice that the new pole position R050A is very reasonable if I were to go to a smaller rear and keep my 235-45-17's up front. But I will also check out your recomendations since this time around I am less brand loyal and more price orientated.Thanks for the heads up.

#13 · (Edited)
allnpt0 said:
I run Kuhmo 234/45/17 ECSTA AST. Had them for about a month. Paid $280 for the set. They're pretty quite and have good all-weather traction, although I don't have enough power to worry about traction having a 380SEC.
I've also been running these Kuhmo's on my 300sd in a 225/50/16. Had them going for 35,000 miles and they were a pretty good tire for being so inexpensive. Also, no problems with breaking them loose here :) They had pretty good grip in the turn and fairly quiet when new. They are just about shot and I'm debating buyng another set. Pause...I just looked and they're $57 each along with a $10 rebate at Tirerack. Dang, might just do that tonight when I get to the hotel. Anyone tried out the Ecsta ASX's up their line?

I get around a lot but I'm sometimes in the dark. Check out these tires that give you colored smoke during a burnout. I'm getting old...
Kumho Ecsta SPT Colored Smoke

#17 ·
allnpt0 said:
I run Kuhmo 234/45/17 ECSTA AST.
I have those in 19" on my A6 and they are great! Really surprised at the performance for the price - certainly the cheapest nineteen-inchers I could find. Just lowly old Michelin MXV on the 300SE, also with no complaints, but it hardly demands much.

#18 ·
Also, on a somewhat related note, I can ALWAYS find deals on sets of great tires at my local junkyard - they always mark what year, make, and model the tires came from, and the mileage of the donor. I got a set of Nokias for the winter with 5k on them for $120, near mint! Some idiot ran a brand new car off the road in the early winter, and I coudn't be happier! Just a thought for anyone looking to get a set to try out on the cheap before going all in on an expensive set of new ones. I always try JY tires out first before I buy a new set, and have never been disappointed.

#20 ·
Kumho Ecsta Supra 712, 245/45 x 17" on the front and 275/40 x 17" at the rear, running at 40 psi.

Got them about a year ago and have done 3,000 miles since then. They are holding up pretty good, but then I don't do burn-outs at every light either.

I have limited grip in the wet, which is why the SEC stays in the garage when it rains.

On dry, level, smooth asphalt, I can barely get a chirp from these tires at WOT in 1st.

On wet tarmac, I turn the 1st Gear Start off and apply throttle very gently to avoid wheel spin.

- Go figure.......

#22 ·
AzimuthAviation said:
Just got home and found a new set of 225/50/16 KuhmoEcsta ASX's sitting on the porch. After rebate, $285.94 total with road hazard. I'll get them mounted and road forced balanced locally for $18.50 getting me on the road for $360! Tire Rack got them here the next day. Dem' Boys Rock!
I thought the correct size was 225/55/16

#24 · (Edited)
Peter Seow said:
I thought the correct size was 225/55/16
Dead on would be 225/45/16 with the 195/65/14. I'm about 3% too large in circumference but it's a much more common tire size so there are many more and less expensive choices. The 55 would be over 7% too large dropping the final ratio lower. Not a desired effect with a diesel!!!

#26 ·
square ones

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.