Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
06' SLK350
2,315 Posts
Nitto's NT555, okay in dry weather, not so good in the wet, at of road noise with top down. Only reason I got it was I got a great price, I would not recommend them.

·
Registered
Volvo 940GLE, GMC Suburban, Infiniti I30, Toyota Prius, VW GTI, MB SLK350, Lexus IS250
1,063 Posts
Michelin Pilot Primacy that came with the car. Still lot's tread left after 10K miles. They are also run flat.

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
I have the original Michelin Pilot Primacys with 7,400 miles on them. The grip is fine but they are noisy and have been from the beginning. This is a well known characteristic of these tires.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
1,614 Posts
GernBlansten said:
A new set of Continental Contisport 2's.
These were the stock tires that came with my SLK. I've only got 2700 miles on them, but no major complaints with any aspect of the tires. When it comes time to replace them, I'll probably change them out to more of an all-weather tire because of where I live. Reasonable or not, with the tread pattern on these tires, I'm always a little reluctant to drive during a heavy rain.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
454 Posts
NewMB said:
These were the stock tires that came with my SLK. I've only got 2700 miles on them, but no major complaints with any aspect of the tires. When it comes time to replace them, I'll probably change them out to more of an all-weather tire because of where I live. Reasonable or not, with the tread pattern on these tires, I'm always a little reluctant to drive during a heavy rain.

The tire is highly rated in the rain and I have been happy with their wet weather performance. Mine were stock and then an early flat tire had me replace the fronts so I just stuck with them when it was time to replace the rears.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
1,614 Posts
GernBlansten said:
The tire is highly rated in the rain and I have been happy with their wet weather performance. Mine were stock and then an early flat tire had me replace the fronts so I just stuck with them when it was time to replace the rears.
Thanks for the info. Maybe it's just a psychological thing with me then. I'm used to seeing those crisscross patterns on every row of a tire's tread. Because those patterns are non-existent on the Continental's center treads, I just figured that the SLK would be a little squirrely on wet roads.

·
Registered
04 4Runner V8 Lt, 05 SLK 350, 08 BMW 328xi Coupe
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
question for everyone who has the stock Michelin Pilot Primacys ....
For your tires, does it 225/45 R17 or it's 225/24 ZR 17 ??? Same as the rear...245/40 R 17 or 245 ZR 17 ???

Thanks,

·
Registered
SLK350
834 Posts
Running Toyo T1-R fronts (235/35/19) and Yokohama Advan Sport rears (265/30/19). Hate the T1-R's. Love the Advan Sports. I have to replace the Toyos soon and probably will go for the Good Years because of that review.

·
Registered
SLK55,CayenneS,XKR
1,995 Posts
Continental Contisport 2 if not mistaken, next tires are Michelin Pilot Sport 2's hopefully.

·
Registered
'05 SLK 55
104 Posts
I had a hard time chosing between the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 and the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2, but the $300 price gap (with the later being higher) made me go with the Goodyears. Only have a couple hundred miles on them so far but I really like them. I have not taken them out in the rain (where they are supposed to really shine), but on dry pavement they are great. They also have a longer tread rating (280 vs 220), so I am hoping to get more than the 12k miles I got on the OEM tires (that had a tread rating of 220). The rear tires are the ones that really suffer with my driving and will probebly last only about half as long as the fronts. I wanted to keep the tires matched so I am going to hang on to the Goodyears for at least 1 more change of the rear tires.

·
Registered
2000 C280, 2006 E350, 1993 400E, 2007 SLK55 AMG, 1994 S500, 2008 E320 Bluetec
685 Posts
My 2007 SLK55, which I picked up in Germany and is now in the states, has Pirelli Pzero.

I didn't drive it hard enough and I certainly didn't put on enough miles to provide any feedback on the tire.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
1,614 Posts
FlyByNite said:
I had a hard time chosing between the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 and the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2, but the $300 price gap (with the later being higher) made me go with the Goodyears. Only have a couple hundred miles on them so far but I really like them. I have not taken them out in the rain (where they are supposed to really shine), but on dry pavement they are great. They also have a longer tread rating (280 vs 220), so I am hoping to get more than the 12k miles I got on the OEM tires (that had a tread rating of 220). The rear tires are the ones that really suffer with my driving and will probebly last only about half as long as the fronts. I wanted to keep the tires matched so I am going to hang on to the Goodyears for at least 1 more change of the rear tires.
Thanks for the feedback on the Goodyears. In the past, I've been strictly a "Michelin Man" and have shunned the Goodyears because it seemed weird to put an American brand tire on a foreign automobile. I know, I know. It doesn't make any sense. With the price differential that you mentioned, however, and three cars to outfit, I'm willing to take the plunge and try the Goodyears on my wife's Lexus. (Both the Goodyears and the Michelins are recommended by Tire Rack for her car.)

Was just curious on what you thought about the overall ride/comfort with the Goodyears. The Continentals that I have are fine, but I'd prefer something a little "softer." Must be my old age. I actually enjoy the aggressive ride when I'm tooling around for short distances, but would prefer something a little more comfortable for the long hauls. Thanks for any feedback you might be able to share.

·
Registered
'05 SLK 55
104 Posts
NewMB said:
Was just curious on what you thought about the overall ride/comfort with the Goodyears. The Continentals that I have are fine, but I'd prefer something a little "softer." Must be my old age. I actually enjoy the aggressive ride when I'm tooling around for short distances, but would prefer something a little more comfortable for the long hauls. Thanks for any feedback you might be able to share.

The Goodyear rides fine. There is a bit more noise because of the tread pattern, but unless you have the top down at low speed you are not going to hear it. At high speed all you will hear is the wind:)

·
Registered
SLK55
30 Posts
my feedback

Started with Michelin Pilot Sports
Then Goodyear GSD3s

Now testing Michelin Pilot Sport Cups ... I just can't get enough traction ...

In my opinion no reason to spend the extra money on the Michelin Pilot Sports over the goodyears.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
1,614 Posts
FlyByNite said:
The Goodyear rides fine. There is a bit more noise because of the tread pattern, but unless you have the top down at low speed you are not going to hear it. At high speed all you will hear is the wind:)
Thanks again for the additional insight.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts