Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,725 Posts
tires with higher speed ratings mainly have better temperature dissipation. often, they have softer rubber, which increases traction at the expense of tire wear.

side wall stiffness tends to be correlated more to the tire width profile (the /70, /60 number), and the tires load factor (the number before the speed letter & after the tire size, like 91H is load factor 91...). load factor is usually fairly consistent for a given size tire.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have Pirelli Centauro P5 right now

They have since stopped manufacturing them in my vehicle's required size so next time I'm probably going to go with GoodYear's ASSURANCE TRIPLETRED AS.

·
Premium Member
6,725 Posts
They are apparently the best, by far, on premature sidewall cracking too - not a good thing.
cant say I've ever experienced that on Michelins, and most of my cars are parked outside full time. worst tire I ever had for that was some off brand (sold by Big O) LT tire, never again. just about when I noticed the first of the sidewall cracks, a tire developed a big sidewall blister and we replaced them, with at least 50% tread left.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have Pirelli Centauro P5 right now

They have since stopped manufacturing them in my vehicle's required size so next time I'm probably going to go with GoodYear's ASSURANCE TRIPLETRED AS.

Why not the P7 cinturato? Much better than that tripletread GY. I'm currently on Conti DWS06's, but once those are done I'll probably switch to the P7's.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Be wary of whom you buy your tires from....some discount places are selling 3+yr old tires. Since indirect sunlight and ozone start breaking down tires immediately after manufacture...unless they are sealed in a bag and kept in the dark (not likely), they will weather check prematurely if they are 3+ yrs old.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
If I were going stock size, I would probably just get a set of Cooper CS5s. Highly rated and inexpensive. I find that these cars pretty much stick like glue no matter what you put on. Even on snow tires it drives like a dream. Being in Seattle, though, wet traction is high priority, which is why I put the Continental on instead of the Pirelli P7. The P7 is supposedly softer riding, but lots of reports of subpar wet traction. Wasn't worth the risK for me.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Errr . . . . no. Tire quality and rubber durometer are the biggest single factor to grip and ride comfort.
Of course they are important. Otherwise I would buy my tires by cost and life only instead of buying based on traction. Maybe I wasn't clear, but my point was that these are great handling cars with great traction on their own. You don't have to have the ultimate tires to get a great ride and drive. But yes, better tires will yield even better performance and crappy tires will yield worse performance. For most people a standard all season tire will work out just great. And I was serious that the car even handles well on my Michelin snow tires. On the Continental all seasons it is fantastic.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Michelins are a good tire, I cant deny that but the cost point I cant deal with. The BFGs have gotten noisy as they have worn, thats really annoying. I may end up with a hankook, Ive had em in teh past and been happy. Treat wear suffers a bit, but we will see. I hate buying tires, really really hate it

·
Registered
395 Posts
They are apparently the best, by far, on premature sidewall cracking too - not a good thing.
If your tires experienced PREMATURE tire wear, or aging, contact Michelin they stand by their tires like no other tire company in the business. I have only great things to say about them. Additionally they are always in the top 3 for every tire review in every category.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm just amazed at how good cheap tires are now, but it's not that unlike anything else. A $200 cell phone today vs one from five years ago is waaaaay more device for the money, same for a lot of things.
A $50 Korean or whatever tire is still not a Michelin, nor should it be, but it's a lot larger percentage of its performance for a lot smaller percentage of its dollar than it used to be. I just bought an $18, delivered, 6.5" speaker to replace the factory "sub"woofer in one of my other cars and it's amazing how well made and how good the materials are vs what I was paying $100 for a decade ago. Plenty of crap out there for sure, but for a savvy consumer the midrange of a lot of things has never been so good.

·
Registered
513 Posts
only General for the last 5 years across all my vehicles Excellent price and reliability, ( i am not looking nor I can evaluate cornering performance -being past that age ) Just making sure they are not produced in China. Most of them were Germany, Denmark and France. Came across some low profiles made in Brazil , turned out to be really good.

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Funny, I just posted about this in another thread. Here's the link
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w124-e-ce-d-td-class/2816410-w124-tire-question.html#post15965666

Short version is, after decades of using Michelin Pilots of one flavor or another, I tried a set of General Altimax grand touring tires. Now with about 30k miles of not gentile driving on an E420, I remain impressed enough to recommend them. I will buy them again.
Heh, the 20 yr old spare in my boot is a Michelin Pilot.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts
About this Discussion
57 Replies
25 Participants
TechGuru
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing