Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a link with different threads for my new tires. The choice is between UT6 and HTD thread.:
http://www.ret-hannover.de/laufstr2.php

What would you choose for desert sand?
I know none of them are optimal but which one is the best?

/Jan M

·
Registered
404.s x VW-Lt
189 Posts
If you gonna seek the desert for real I recommand new tyres, not remoulded etc. It is very nasty to loose one or more "cheap" tyres in the middle of knowwhere. Also this are heavy truck tyres, maybe better to find tyres wich can be deflated (and deform) to increase traction in sand.

For some driving around in the region maybe ok on normal and gravel roads. Also does the 22.5 rim diameter fit? My own tyrecompany won't wanna sell me remoulded for my 404 front axle.... The say its a big hazard when you have a tyre failure on the steering axle.

groeten..

·
Registered
78 416 seismic truck
71 Posts
There's a group of folks who go to the Altair desert every year. They've found the Michelin XM 47 to be ideal for lots of loose sand and low risk of debeading. Go to www.billcaid.com for stories and pics. When I wear out my mpt 80 set in 50 yrs I'll get a set of the Michelins

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the tyres are for a heavy truck (not a mog). There is unimogs with 13R22.5 tires.

We were going to go off-road and very little in desert. I wanted to see if I get enough traction and flotation with 13R22.5 in desert sand. Therefore which one of theese two threads would be the best in sand:

//JAnne

1 - 4 of 4 Posts