Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
U1550L/37 Doka, U1700L/38, Merc 1017A
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well it seams like there is a little bit of everything here from resto projects to tech tips but what i think is missing is actuall adventures. a picture always has to tell a story and often that is not the case here. sometimes it feels like Bill Caid is the only guy that actually used his mog. LOL. so how about sharing some of your adventures with your mogs. this could be anything. heck even a day snow plowing is adventurous in my books.

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078
5,856 Posts
... i think is missing is actuall adventures. ... heck even a day snow plowing is adventurous in my books.
Well said!! Except for the hint about snow plow adventures.... there is a season where most adventures occur. (summer) so odds are we will see a bit of that near end of next summer. Course economy (fuel prices) are limiting adventures too.

So for now bring on the Snow Plow adventures and any other winter wheeling... and lets hope-n-pray no more adventures similar to Truktors are in the bunch

·
Registered
1991 1300L Doka
300 Posts
Crossed the country with mine but was too busy refilling portals, petting the moose and stroking the cat to stop and take pics. Actually travelling at 86 kmh is almost like stopping to smell the flowers (just wish all the other road users thought the same).

·
Premium Member
Unimog U1250
1,652 Posts
All going well, in August we will be going out to Lake Eyre in the Mog - but here are a few photos of last years trip in the Land Rover - no point having a thread about photos without any photos :).

Imaging a Unimog crossing on the little punt over the Cooper Creek :D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ian i'm sure you are dying to test out your mog. LOL.

·
Premium Member
Unimog U1250
1,652 Posts
Dead right - some day I wish I could give up the day job and finish the Mog - I made so much progress over the week that I was off work due to the floods, that I want to take another couple of weeks off just to get it ready for the interior fit out - unfortunately they won't let me take any time off other than weekends for the foreseeable future :crybaby2::crybaby2::crybaby2::crybaby2:

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well said!! Except for the hint about snow plow adventures.... there is a season where most adventures occur. (summer) so odds are we will see a bit of that near end of next summer. Course economy (fuel prices) are limiting adventures too.

So for now bring on the Snow Plow adventures and any other winter wheeling... and lets hope-n-pray no more adventures similar to Truktors are in the bunch
you know working a mog is part of owning a mog. a couple of years ago, we had the craziest winter on record here in bc. i plowed 150 hours in two weeks with a 406. i wish i took some pics. too busy though. i had two days over 24 hours of plowing. trust me. it was a bit accomplishment. LOL

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
how about something like this. mogs at work and play. LOL

·
Registered
'62 404 Bundeswehr Radio Truck, '61 Bundeswehr 404 Doka
438 Posts
Here's a couple old photos of climbing the road up and over nearby Four Peaks mountain into the sunset.

Full size image: http://www.piratepathy.com/misc/mog1_large.jpg

This trip happened about 3 years ago. My mog had just been cobbled back together after sitting for 4 years as a pile of parts. I ran a jeep trail called "El Oso Mine Loop", which is a nasty moguled trail/shelf road just wide enough for a narrow Jeep in many spots. Several spots with at least 1,000ft of dropoff. At one point, had one front tire 4 feet off the ground while climbing a moguled hill in 1st gear with both lockers in. The front end is off the ground... all I can see is sky out the front window, a wall of rock out the passenger side, and about 500ft to the bottom of a ravine out the driver's side.. All while hauling a radio box outfitted as an RV!

My girlfriend and I camped for 3 days on the mountain while running trails in the day. Ended up blowing out 2 tires on this trip, broke my jack, and then had to grab my car hauler and truck to retrieve the mog late on the last day as I had run out of spare tires! The Mog made it off the mountain at least and rescued 2 other people in the process. Turned out to be quite an adventure!

Full size image: http://www.piratepathy.com/misc/mog2_large.jpg

·
Registered
Non MB 1975 Volvo C304, 1958 Kramer U540, 1959 unimog Westfalia 411
1,381 Posts
I give has anyone put up pics using a I pad via photo bucket? I am
getting a invalid file msg.

·
Registered
1982 406 Unimog Expedition Camper, 1999 G500, 1995 Land Rover Defender 90 SW
142 Posts

Quick trip to the cabin up in the Uintah's in Utah.

·
Registered
1987 416 Doka
651 Posts
From the title - "what this forum needs...," well, I guess I was expecting "a little more cow bell!"

I would love to see more off-roading videos and pics, because that's what I'm in to. I have a few saved in Youtube, but there's got to be more out there!

Bill's stuff is great, and so are the expedition blogs that are on the net. I will try to post some too, but most of my pics are with my Tacoma - and that just ain't right! :D

·
Registered
142 Posts

I live right along the base of the Wasatch Mountains and this is about 15 minutes from my house so doesn't really qualify for a legitimate adventure but it was fun.

·
Registered
142 Posts

Sorry for the 20 posts but I was going through my pics to see if I could add anything to the adventure section.

This was a day outing in the West Desert at 5 Mile Pass in Utah. The trail we were on is a local trail it's called Rattlesnake and Constrictor....it was a lot of fun but got a little tight in spots. I've done this trail in my Land Rover Defender and it's much different in the Mog. Instead of picking your line through the rocks you just go straight. It's amazing the amount of clearance you have. Anyway, these are old pics but I thought some of you might enjoy.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts