Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
9,062 Posts

·
Registered
9,168 Posts
When I start pissing and crapping in my pants, risk getting shipped off to an old folks home, can't drive any more, eating Gerber baby food spoon fed to me.

A liter of 25 year old malt, some sleeping pills and off I go.
Same here. I've already told the Mrs. that when it gets to the point that I'm no longer "Doni" to take me up to the lake, give me a bottle of Xanax and a fifth of vodka and leave me there. I'll handle it from that point forward.

I had to put my dad in a nursing home and watched him fade away until he had nothing left. I'm not doing that. One day, he was conscious enough to say "Let me go." The next day, I placed him in hospice. I was holding his hand when he died.

He lived his life with great dignity. I wanted him to end it the same way.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,168 Posts
I talked to a gearhead buddy in Atlanta yesterday and HE brought up the Sacramento statute. He said Cobb County is considering something quite similar to it.

I hope that crap doesn't become a "movement."

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
before the last boomer dies there will be physician assisted suicide for the elderly
.....and it'll be passed into by some politician who opposed it for his/her entire career.

Probably just before their 80th birthday.
Yep. It's interesting to note the change in view about stem cell research by the Reagan family, once Pres. Reagan got cursed with Alzheimers. They went from opposing it to supporting it.

Dad had said the same thing that Doni had said about himself, and apparently for similar reasons. He even wrote something and signed it, with me as a witness, directing not to keep him alive artificially, i. e. on life support. So...when my Dad's turn came, he was a quadriplegic and on his way out after four home invaders assaulted him physically, broke his neck, and left him for dead. I had to ask him that difficult question there in the ICU, and I did so three times, just to be sure. Each time, he said yes. So, I waited long enough for the rest of the family that could make it, to come visit him (they came quickly, to their credit), one last time. Then I made the hardest choice of my life so far, the decision to honour his wishes and end life support. He died with his music playing in the background.

Oregon has "death with dignity" laws (I remember Brittany Maynard's saga, too). That should be true in every state. IANAL, but from what I have read so far, the Oregon law was pretty well crafted to prevent abuses.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Both my parents (dad 78, mother 74) are still alive and doing very well.

Of my grandparents - paternal grandfather died at 73 from bronchitis brought on by a cold or flu but the underlying cause was asbestosis and having basically only half a lung left to breathe on. One grandmother died young (73 also) due to a blood clot in surgery but already had early onset Alzheimer's brought on by a fall and banging her head on the sidewalk. Other grandmother lived to nearly 93 of a heart attack in her sleep. She was living in an old folks home, but still had her marbles and would regularly "escape" back to her own flat for a day or two to watch snooker on TV (she liked watching the shots of nicely dressed young men bending over tables I think) and get away from the other old biddies.

Maternal grandfather lived until 98, until 95 in his own home. He was beginning to go senile but went downhill rapidly once he voluntarily went into a home. Ended up a dribbling vegetable. THAT is not for me.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
^ part of "Big Brother". Which is why I try not to use Alexa... aka Big Sister.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts