Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
07 E350, 80 240D 4 speed, 90 300SE, 87 260E
2,812 Posts
Friend got a letter from HOA telling him he had clover growing with his grass lawn and he needed to get ride of it or else.

·
93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
7,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I got a HOA letter saying to take down my TV antenna... Guess what, the house came like that when I bought it :grin ...

I ignored the letters which were three in the span of 15 years there, F'm

I enjoyed TV reception for free while those other fools paid for TV...

Martin

·
Registered
2008 AMG CLK63 Conv., 2012 R350 4-Matic, Wife's 2015 C300 sedan
9,225 Posts
Friend got a letter from HOA telling him he had clover growing with his grass lawn and he needed to get ride of it or else.
Some neighborhoods in Houston you'd get one saying your servants aren't dressed well enough...

My wife once got one for painting her shutters the "wrong shade" of blue - that neighborhood Nazi got shut down when she moved out of the neighborhood - still chair of the HOA though - and some Vietnamese dudes turned her property into a grow house.:grin

·
Registered
Vogon constructor fleet.
9,199 Posts
How the hell can you move OUT of the neighborhood...and are therefore no longer a "homeowner"....and STILL be head of the Home Owners Association??

A grow house....that's funny there.

·
Registered
9,225 Posts
How the hell can you move OUT of the neighborhood...and are therefore no longer a "homeowner"....and STILL be head of the Home Owners Association??

A grow house....that's funny there.
She OWNED the house and rented it out. Hence still eligible to be Chair of the Home OWNERs Association.

·
Registered
9,225 Posts
Other snippets from our HOA rules: no AirBNB, no leases less than six months, permits required for trees, sheds, hedges, you name it.

·
Registered
9,225 Posts
Oh, and our 300 acre lake is restricted to 20 foot boats with outboards of less than 150 ponies.

Mind you, they neglected to say how many outboards....

I'm thinking six, but apparently three might be enough...

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 S430, 2003 S430, 2003 S600 TT, and 2005 E320 CDI
4,307 Posts
HOA's are the Antichrist, far as I'm concerned, and like Doni, I too will refuse to buy property that is in HOA's. In our county, we have a rule saying basic repairs are allowed on the street. Well, brake jobs are pretty basic stuff. Oil and other fluid changes, same thing. Heck, for me, a complete front suspension overhaul on a W220 (including AIRmatic struts) is a pretty basic repair since I can get it done, start to finish, in a day and have wheels back on ground before dark. Wouldn't try a transmission swap like @MAVA can do, not out on the street. But fortunately, in our driveways, cars can be inoperable or even up on jackstands, so long as they're covered by something. A cloth car cover counts as "cover" for this purpose, as long as it's in your driveway.

Sacramento's statute is an example of just straight-up over-regulation. There must be enough disposable income in Sacramento County to where people just don't care and tend not to vote overreaching bureaucrats out.

As for "Right to Repair" legislation, that needs to go farther than just the right to work on your car in your driveway. It needs to include complete access--at actually reasonable prices, not inflated ones--to any tools, programs, information, and "any other paraphernalia" required to do any repairs on your vehicle, phone, or other items that you own. That means, for Mercedes-Benzes, access to SDS (including so-called "Developer Mode"), WIS, all technical manuals, all "SCN codes" or similar, all firmwares, any parts including "Theft-Relevant Parts", and so on, and in the language used by the majority of the people in the country where that car was sold (in the USA, that'd be English at present). Over the last year, I've been reading up on MAVA's 722.6 transmission posts, and I'm watching YouTube videos about automatic transmissions in general. However, I will avoid the 722.9 or subsequent M-B transmissions like the plague at this point. The conductor plate for the 722.9 is now a "Theft-Relevant Part", so you have to go to the dealer. The 722.6 conductor plate, I can change that at will. Same for the TCM; just swap it with another from a like-model car.

·
Registered
62,218 Posts
We need to support "Right to Repair" laws, screw HOAs and manufacturers.

The Feds Are Finally Getting Involved in the Fight Over Right To Repair

With 20 states considering Right to Repair bills this legislative cycle, the fight over who can fix the stuff consumers buy and own has become a national policy debate, bringing together an eclectic mix of advocates from across the tech, medical, and farming industries. Even presidential candidate Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D–Mass.) has addressed the issue, indicating that she would support a national right-to-repair law that applies to farm equipment.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
^^ Fauxcohantas needs to go further and support it for much more than just farm equipment. It's got to be for whatever you own. That's why I own a Sandisk Sansa Clip instead of an iBlob; I can replace the battery on the Sansa Clip, and Sandisk doesn't try to disable my music player. Same with cars; the increasing computerization *can* be a good thing, but it's being used for a bad purpose--to keep us from fixing our own stuff.

What is Bernie's position on this?

·
Registered
62,218 Posts
Vermont Senator and Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders called for a national right-to-repair law on Sunday. The right-to-repair law is a part of Sanders’ plan to revitalize rural America, which his campaign unveiled on its website. Sanders’ plan involves using antitrust legislation to bust up large agriculture firms, reforming patent law to protect farmers from seed patents, and national right-to-repair legislation to ensure farmers can repair their equipment.

“In rural America today, farmers can’t even repair their own tractors or other equipment because of the greed of companies like John Deere,” Sanders’ plan said. “When we are in the White House, we will pass a national right-to-repair law that gives every farmer in America full rights over the machinery they buy.”

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/8xzqmp/bernie-sanders-calls-for-a-national-right-to-repair-law-for-farmers

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Thanks. Sounds a whole lot like Warren's proposal, farmers only. Doesn't go anywhere remotely far enough, and that disappoints me. I thought--hoped--The Bern would take a bigger view for Right to Repair.

Apple lobbyists got a California State Senator to pull her own Right To Repair legislation. Looks to me like she, too, got bought 'n' paid for, along with Kevin TheLyin(bastard) and several others in the CA State Senate. Reminds me of then-Speaker Karen Minnis with open file formats in Oregon a few years back (Microsoft lobbyists paid her off to "table", i. e. kill, the bill).

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/wjvdb4/apple-is-telling-lawmakers-people-will-hurt-themselves-if-they-try-to-fix-iphones

Update 4/30/19, 5:22 pm: The bill has been pulled by its sponsor, Susan Talamantes-Eggman: "It became clear that the bill would not have the support it needed today, and manufacturers had sown enough doubt with vague and unbacked claims of privacy and security concerns," she said. Her full statement has been added at the end of the piece.

<here is her full statement>

“Today I decided to pull Assembly Bill 1163 from consideration in the Privacy and Consumer Protection Committee, with the goal of moving the bill in January of next year. While this was not an easy decision, it became clear that the bill would not have the support it needed today, and manufacturers had sown enough doubt with vague and unbacked claims of privacy and security concerns.

I feel that we are on the right side of this issue, and that ultimately the bill will prevail. Unfortunately, presenting it today would not advance the issue because it would jeopardize our opportunity to continue working on the bill next year. I will be working with members of the committee in the coming months to secure the support needed to make the Right to Repair a reality in California.”

This is going to take people getting voted out of office on this issue.

·
Registered
9,225 Posts
Wouldn't surprise me if the insurance companies are all supporting this. Last thing they want is people who can't / shouldn't be doing their own repairs doing brake jobs and the like.

I remember back in the 80s, Brembo brakes pulled all their service kits from the US market because some jackass did a brake job on his motorcycle, effed it up and rode into a wall or something and Brembo got taken to the cleaners by his widow's lawyers. Fortunately, UK law says "own stupid fault" and Brembo service kits were still available there into the late 90s / early 2000s at least.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
^^ After what she did? I consider it an accurate description of her.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts