Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
7,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

I'm pretty quite guy, and through these forums I'm known as the tranny-guy...

I just finished 722.3 for a guy, and got two 722.6's to do plus eight or so M120 throttle bodies.

"Little Government" is just getting a little tooooooo greedy... I live in the F'n county where this is happening now...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/sacramento-county-says-its-illegal-to-work-on-your-own-car-in-your-own-garage/ar-AADOizD?ocid=spartandhp

Then this is part of this "whole wave of greed" in these cities.. Take a look at this:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/florida-woman-fined-100-000-101646606.html

Read the comments (Click on the View Reactions ). It pretty much tells you WHERE NOT TO LIVE...

What is this USA is coming too...

Enjoy,

Martin

·
Registered
8,897 Posts
Our HOA has the same rule. Whether legally enforcible or not is hard to say until it's challenged in court. Needless to say I don't change engines or transmissions on my drive, run a repair business or attempt anything that can't be done without all four wheels off the ground at any one time and otherwise ignore it.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Wow on BOTH of those! Law or no law, I’d still turn my own wrenches...even if I had to do it in the middle of the night!

BTW....did you get the pump?

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,070 Posts
Typical overreach by some asshole vest pocket wannabe dictator bureaucrats. An organization with muscle should take them to court.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
Our HOA has the same rule. Whether legally enforcible or not is hard to say until it's challenged in court. Needless to say I don't change engines or transmissions on my drive, run a repair business or attempt anything that can't be done without all four wheels off the ground at any one time and otherwise ignore it.
I hate HOAs and will never buy another house that’s subject to one. My last HOA house had a rule wherein it was against the covenant to leave a car parked in front of the house....IN THE DRIVEWAY! At the time, I had 5 cars and a three car garage. After the 2nd letter, I told them I’d see them in court. I never got another “warning” but I sold the house...so screw ‘em.

·
Registered
8,897 Posts
Our HOA has a rule against parking in the street overnight but AFAIK they haven't tried enforcing it since the developer handed over custody of the streets to the county. Either that or some attorney on the development got a ticket and took them to court.

In a similar vein: When "they" tried introducing clamping on parked cars in Scotland in the early 90s, one of the first victims was actually a sitting Scottish High Court judge. He convinced his fellow judges it amounted to the old Scottish crime of "extracting money with menaces" (I.e. blackmail) and no one got clamped again for over 25 years.

·
Registered
8,897 Posts
I actually disagree with this. I don't want our neighborhood to become festooned with old Camaros or whatever up on blocks while people restore them, pull them apart or whatever on their driveways. Fair enough to do basic DIY repairs but there has to be a common sense limit.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
^^If they want to keep folks from storing their "project" toys in the front yard, I too have no problem with that. BUT telling you it's illegal to do a restoration/repair/whatever IN THE GARAGE is a different matter IMO.

An example.....yesterday I snapped the serpentine belt on my '94 S500 and had to get the car towed home. It's now parked back in the garage. I'm going to do the repair today and renew the coolant (which I will later take to the parts store for recycling.) Would that be considered a violation in light of the "toxic juices" I'm taking out of the car? One man's DIY is another's major repair. A couple weeks ago, I put new lower control arm bushings on my DD. That required the use of a press I have, a tool not commonly found in most homes. The car was also up on jackstands for 2-3 days. As far as I can tell, that's enough to be in violation because the press isn't a "commonly found tool."

If the door's closed, who is it affecting? I just see the ban as a bit of an overreach. If they want to enforce it evenly and logically, it's gonna have to be a lot less vague than I'm reading it now.

·
Registered
8,897 Posts
In the garage do what you like, I agree. Out on the drive limit to wheels must be back on the ground and car driveable by sunset kind of stuff, and on your own vehicles. Doesn't prevent routine maintenance up to changing brake pads, for example, but probably prevents engine or transmission swaps and people running car repair businesses in a nice neighborhood.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
^^ Okay, we're reaching a common ground here. Doing an engine or trans swap in the driveway with a cherry picker hanging over the front is a bit much. BUT what if I can do the same work inside the garage? Is that also in violation? What if it's a friend or relative's car and not my own wheels? Is THAT also in violation? There's a big difference between running a non-authorized "for profit" car repair business out of your home (or in your driveway, as the case may be) and doing what most car enthusiasts would consider "hobbyist work" for no profit.

As I said, based on my reading of the statute, some clarification in in order.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
You forget that once all cars are electric they wont need any repairs. :) This is just one more screw to achieve their real objective.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Our old HOA had a rule you cant park in driveway. So I parked my brother's beat to crap 60's pickup truck in the city owned street for 2 years and told them to pound sand.

We now live in an non HOA neighborhood.

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
You forget that once all cars are electric they wont need any repairs. :) This is just one more screw to achieve their real objective.
Well, they'll probably break down but they'll be like Apple products. There won't be any way to fix them yourself.

Gotta go to the Apple Pimpshop for almost everything related to your "iStuff" and you gotta go to Tesla if you want a bulb changed on your Model S...and not void your warranty.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Hang sheer curtains on all of the garage windows and have good security cameras posted on all outside corners and driveways etc..

Proper signage is also important ..

"Never mind the dog,..Beware of Owner"..:eek

:devil

·
Premium Member
43,634 Posts
Average Joe comin to big debt cause low interest rates and easy loans proppin up dis artificial economy to make it seem like he doin better than his paw.

·
7,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Here is interpretation to the lay for all of those that do not read :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1046&v=I29KDz_RCo0

Wow on BOTH of those! Law or no law, I’d still turn my own wrenches...even if I had to do it in the middle of the night!

BTW....did you get the pump?
Yes pump is here, I'm working on it in the garage :grin now...

I'm almost changed an engine, but I said lets do it at my buddies house(Next County Over only because he has the engine lift there).

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/attachments/w124-v8-400e-e420-500e-e500/2262729d1505158077-dropping-m119-five-liter-v8-into-img_3964.jpg

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w124-v8-400e-e420-500e-e500/2878673-dropping-m119-five-liter-v8-into.html#post16527001

I did rebuild a transmission in my own garage last week for a W140, and I got TWO other transmissions to rebuild in the garage in Sacramento County in the coming weeks-I'm the tranny guy... I have not done in TEN years here, so it is not is booming business for me here..

I actually disagree with this. I don't want our neighborhood to become festooned with old Camaros or whatever up on blocks while people restore them, pull them apart or whatever on their driveways. Fair enough to do basic DIY repairs but there has to be a common sense limit.
Los Angeles(LA) County California is like this.. One goes to "OLD LA Neighborhoods" it is is the birth place of the Hot-Rod cars. The scenes have been depicted in many movies. It is the fabric of LA to see that as LA. No space for "Cookie Cutter HOMES" Many of these homes are like 700Sqft with clay drain pipes and with interior walls of concrete with chicken wire like on wood lath(no plywood in those days). Where my father lives every other house someone is working on a car. Just like that my father is clearing/re piping those drains in surrounding neighborhoods.

Ahh you forget that people like me would be circumventing the system(Not buying from the dealer lot), but doing this:

Our buddy Rich Rebuilds buying crashed Teslas and rebuilding them

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfV0_wbjG8KJADuZT2ct4SA/featured

Average Joe comin to big debt cause low interest rates and easy loans proppin up dis artificial economy to make it seem like he doin better than his paw.
Sadly "System" wants you to be in debt. Nearly all employers want you to be in debt. I am free spirited, by being intrigued by everything, so fix manythings.. My brain is turning. I'm not part of the system. I rarely buy anything new big(No new TV's/No new cars/no New Computers/ etc....) I fix everything electronic/electrical. I do not have a 9-5, nor do sit traffic, nor do I come home to click the clicker. I do know what an inch/centimeter/foot/millimeter/Philips screw driver/ViceGrip's/Channel-Lock Pliers... I bring this up because many of you here will get a real rude-awakening by taking a technical shop class at a local Technical School. Today's young population does not know what those things are-Very sad....

Happy Wrenching fellas,

Martin

·
Registered
8,897 Posts
Let's put my comments in context.

There are hundreds, if not thousands, of little neighborhoods all over greater Houston where you can see all kinds of vehicles "up on blocks" and in various states of (dis)repair. and, of course, there's the old jokes "you might be a redneck if there are five cars in your yard and.... only one cranks … four are up on blocks … and four engines hanging from the trees".

I happen to live in quite a well-to-do neighborhood, not River Oaks by any means, but nice, middle class suburbia with an average house price probably in excess of $800K. Therefore my perspective is a little different, snobby even, but then so are my neighbors, and I and they didn't spend $800K on our houses to watch their neighbors fixing cars day in, day out, either.

I have no objection whatsoever to someone doing a little car DIY repair on their driveway, an, as I said, common sense limits this to wheels off ground / wheels back on ground in same day, or brake pads, or similar, and not changing an engine or transmission on the driveway. If people can do that in the privacy of their own garages, so be it. I would hope they would be doing that on some cherished classic, but each to his or her own, and if someone really wants to restore a Fierro or Dodge Neon who am I to object?

Same too goes for a small home business. If you can rebuild trannies in the privacy of your own garage or shed, I have no more objections than if you were restoring grandfather clocks. If / when it became a business with cars parked up outside or said trannies being lifted out of and back into those cars, then I would have an objection.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
About this Discussion
73 Replies
13 Participants
IWantedaJag
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing