Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1981 380sel
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick poll. What suspension components are you running in your 560sec's? Specifically, shocks/springs and other related items. Pictures would be a plus. Thank you.

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
AMG springs, amg hydro in back, KYB in front.

·
Registered
Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
4,448 Posts
Front: H&Rs, new Bilstein "comfort" shocks, new dogbone bushings and guide rod mounts, freshly painted calipers and hubs, 15 mm hubcentric spacers. Dogbone and springs cleaned. ATE slotted rotors with PBR semi-metallic pads.

Rear: H&Rs, hydraulic rear suspension with new bushings on the top of the ram assemblies, new accumulators, freshly painted caliper and hub, 20 mm hubcentric spacers. Stock rotors with PBR semi-metallic pads.

·
Registered
1991 560 SEC
76 Posts
mramay, do you have pics of your freshly painted calipers? I would like to see them.

·
Registered
1981 380sel
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mramay - 4/26/2005 12:48 PM

Front: H&Rs, new Bilstein "comfort" shocks, new dogbone bushings and guide rod mounts, freshly painted calipers and hubs, 15 mm hubcentric spacers. Dogbone and springs cleaned. ATE slotted rotors with PBR semi-metallic pads.

Rear: H&Rs, hydraulic rear suspension with new bushings on the top of the ram assemblies, new accumulators, freshly painted caliper and hub, 20 mm hubcentric spacers. Stock rotors with PBR semi-metallic pads.

Comfort shocks? Do you have a p/n for that? How does it ride? Is it anything like the stock ride...

..I am afraid to go with the Bilstien HD's because of the harsh ride. I don't mind a harsh ride, but this is a cruiser...so smooth would be nice. For those that have the HD's what are you impression about the comfor t levels of your car?

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I would never refer to my HD's as harsh. If you want to feel a harsh shock, take a ride in w/ Koni yellows cranked up on Full. HD's give you slightly more agressive compression and rebound damping over comforts. The nice thing is they are valved well, thus harshness is not an issue. Out of all the OE shocks out there, I've found KYB's to be the only one's I would call harsh. I ran them for about 10K on my SEL. Making a switch to HD's, I found body roll was better controled yet the harshness was gone.

Harshness can also be controlled in large degree by the tyre you run.. Slap on some Z rated buggers and their side walls will be significantly stiffer then on an H rated.

I have installed HD's on my SEL's, SEC's, SE's and SL. The SEL and SEC had/have H&R's, the others are stock springs. In all cases I am more then pleased with the results.

As an aside, any customer that I have taken down the HD road has only praised the set up, same as those I have sold shocks to.

The only person I heard complain about HD's was a fellow in his late 60's where spirited driving was going over 70mph.

Jonathan

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,290 Posts
My 560 is stock & self leveling which works out great. Except that I feel the original Bilsteins in the front aren't really up to the task now.

I'd like to replace em now. Every time I've searched for shocks I see 'except with self leveling rear suspension. What is the deal? Where can I get some Bilsteins other than the dealership?

Thanks, MBL

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Jnice - the upper picture shows the brake caliper assemblies, painted with Duplicolor's "High Heat with ceramic" paint, in aluminum "DH1606" color.

Liquidtiger720 - the "comfort shocks" are the stock Bilsteins for the SEC. A lot of folks on the MBCoupes.com web site have tried the heavy duty Bilstein shocks and almost all of them found them too hard and went back to the stock (comfort) shock. With my 18x8.5 rims and 245/40/18 low profile tires, the comfort shocks give me a great ride and rather good control over body roll. The H&R springs stiffened up the suspension a bit too, so I felt (pun intended) that the softer shocks would be a better compromise for a street car.

MBL87560SEC - by the look of the picture of your car, you still have stock springs and tires. At this time, an HD shock would be fine but once the H&Rs are on there with some larger diameter/lower profile tires, you quite likely will find the HDs too stiff.

FYI, join the MBCoupes mailing list and go to the next east coast event/gathering. There will be SECs there with many different suspension/tire/rim combinations and you could drive or ride in several to see what works for you. I'd be glad to help you but Boston is just a bit too far from Vegas..... :) There are several MBCoupe members in the Boston area so if you posted a request, I can think of at least three guys in your area (Bill - Quincy, Dick - Boston, & Bruce - NJ) that would be glad to meet you and show you their SECs. Make your own mini-meet!!

Y'all take care,
Mike R.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Mike,
Who over at MBC went comforts? Most of the people I know run HD's.. I think running the 18's and the Very low profile tire makes your ride much harsher then mine. I run 17's w/ a 245/45 on H rated. I'd say my car is almost as forgiving as stock, and more comfortable when the road is smooth.

If you're just going to cruise w/ the car, I'd say comfort, but if you like corners as much as I do, I would recommend HD's.

BTW, anyone who needs shocks, I can get you Very good pricing on Bilstein.

Jonathan

·
Registered
89 560 SEC
335 Posts
H&R 52759 retained self leveling system. Standard Bilstein Shocks 18 AMG Style 129 Wheels Michelin PS/2. If I remember correctly, I believe the Springs Cups are 10mm.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Johnathan,
I remember reading many MBCoupe posts several years ago about shocks and the consensus was HDs were too hard, which is why I put new "comforts" on my SEC. I've driven SECs with 14", 15", 16", 17", 18" and 19" rims, some with fresh standard shocks, some with worn out shocks, some with HDs. These cars can be made as smooth or harsh as you'd like. My preference now of 18x8.5 rims, 245/40/18 tires, lowering H&Rs, new standard Bilsteins does it for me.

I do LOVE my cornering capabilities with this car and was lucky enough to take it out on Laguna Seca Raceway a while back (with the 16" rims & Nitto Extreme tires) and it did a marvelous job. I screwed up turn 11 every time I went through it,braked too late and ended up in a big slide each time coming onto the main straight, and the SEC with H&Rs and comforts just ate it up. Floor it, catch the slide, aim it up the hill. :)

I cooked the brakes in four laps (old brake fluid) so I didn't spend as much time out there as I wanted in the SEC, but the car was predictable and was better than me! I drove my friend's highly modified '66 Lotus Elan for two track sessions and that little thing was amazing!! The Lotus really showed that the SEC is a fabulous GT car, not a sports car!! Sounds funny, but I was very pleased that even with my 200 pound friend with me in the SEC, I was just able to keep up with a stock Elan (old style) on the track.

Now that I have the 18x8.5 rims on the SEC, I'm going to find another track session to try it again (but with fresh brake fluid). I do have semi-metallic brake pads front and rear, so that won't be a problem. I have a 3.07 limited slip differential coming to replace the 2.47 standard diff, so the car will be even easier to get sideways!!

·
Registered
89 560 SEC
335 Posts
RE: What suspension in your 560sec

Mike,

Where were you able to locate a 3.07 LSD Diff for your SEC?

I looked for a several months and the just gave up. Everything in a rebuilt LSD was 3k and up, an open was $900.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
It's a custom job and costs $3500, but it's the only one available. It is set up for the anti-skid on the '87 SEC.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
what diff were you looking to fit? I'm looking to get a 3.07 R&P from a 450SE fitted to my carrier.

Jonathan

·
Registered
2004 ML270
531 Posts
H&R springs front and rear, Bilstein comfort shocks on the front, Mercedes self levelling on the rear.

Number 1 spring pads on the front, number 2 on the back. Kmac rear camber kit and new accumulators.

I went with the comfort shock after reading a LOT of threads at mbcoupes on the shocks.

Might have to try a set of HD's though as I could do with less body roll.

Matt.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts