Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm getting into a small startup side business and I want to buy a couple Unimog 406's to be used for snow plowing, blowing, grass cutting and ditch mowing. I'm having trouble deciding what sort of options I should be looking for when I buy/import the mogs.

My main concerns are: What options will allow me to run the most implements ? Should I be looking for a Case MB4/94 or should I be looking for something with Schmidt implements already attached ? Or just a clean 406 that I can have modified ? My understanding is that the case mogs don't really put out a lot of hydraulic pressure or volume, and that some sort of pto driven pump setup would be better. I'm also confused as to whether a PTO and hydraulic attachments can be added to a 406 that didn't come with them originally. Is adding front/rear pto's a big task or is it just a matter of sourcing parts ? Also, what attachment plate offers the largest amount of implements ? Case ? Schmidt ? Some sort of custom fabricated unit to allow for John Deere/Kubota ?

Any advice would be appreciated. I've done a ton of searching over the last few months, but it's tough to find out what people actually use out on the jobs in North America.

·
Registered
U-406/416
688 Posts
You got three choices

#1 Case MB4-94 The best of both worlds, most are equiped with two hydralic PTO's the case deck has many attachments as you know, the front operates the same as any other 406 witch is a good thing, also a plus most came with roll bars that are not to be found on most ero sec 406's(the one downside is that they are a bit of a pain to work on some times)(with pto shafts these are a way over complacated and make mantnece a major pain)

#2 standerd ero import 406. You need some form of schmit plate or plates, rear mounted implements are harder to find, Most only got one Hydralic PTO mounted under the engine (A plus is lots of the ero spec 406's is that most have PTO shaft or shafts, one in the front is an avreage)

#3 419 SEE comes with a front loader and bachoe, but thats about all you can attach to them, due to the frame modification done to the front and the rear.(also avalible with forklift and crane, but they are pretty rare)(always a pain to work on)(hard to insure)(my lest favret option)

·
Registered
4Sale: 230G, U1200 Ag, 1017A, lots of MB cars, Volvo c303, 416 raildoka, LR D110 TDi
1,217 Posts
From the sound of it, you need either an ag spec european 406, or a well equipped Case MB4/94. The remote hydraulic system is the same on both the MB4/94 and the Standard Mercedes units, the only hydraulic difference is that the MB4/94 had the option of a hi-output hyd. system for running a backhoe, but not all of them had this. The euro trucks with the backhoe had a high output hyd pump run off the 540/1000 pto, so it is not a deal killer if you don't have the Case option. I use mogs to do all of the stuff you are planning on doing (minus the snow blowing), and here is a list of options I would make sure I had on a truck before I bought it: Cascade transmission with double clutch (often refered to as a 20 speed), standard hydraulic system with the control valve on the steering column (this is pretty costly and a pain in the a$$ to add later), 540/1000 PTO drive unit on the transmission (preferrably with the shafts to the front and rear, although they can be added later), Front schmidt implement plate (will cost you $500 or so to add later), and ideally a 3 point hitch and rear PTO centralizer (if it doesn't have it to start with you are looking at around $3K to add these two items). If you have the three point hatch and PTO centralizer, you can back up to any farm implement just like an american tractor, so those will be the best investment as far as versitility.

Cheers,
Ben

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
3,823 Posts
Honestly it sounds like you should be looking for a good deal on a U500 instead. Bear in mind the costs involved with either buying a truck in very good condition or buying a not so nice truck and making it so, it can easily put you into the range of 2/3 of the cost of a used U500. Adding in additional costs to acquire implements and support equipment and you may find that for a few dollars more you can swing it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does the case unit have some sort of PTO that hangs low underneath the chassis ? I've seen pics of Case's with a box underneath with shafts coming from it. Is that an add-on pto or something ?

Also, What is the pricing like on a u500 ? I haven't seen what they're priced like used.

·
Registered
1978 416.115
1,035 Posts
Does the case unit have some sort of PTO that hangs low underneath the chassis ? I've seen pics of Case's with a box underneath with shafts coming from it. Is that an add-on pto or something ?

Also, What is the pricing like on a u500 ? I haven't seen what they're priced like used.
Lowest I've seen a U500 is about $80K US

There's one for sale on ebay right now for $80K

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,265 Posts

PTO Centralizer?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts