Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML430
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a set of Michellin Arctic Alpin's on my C240 for two seasons now. I was thinking this year's winter might be more severe (Saskatchewan, Canada) and was thinking of a different set of snowies. The Alpin's are nice but I feel they are more performance oriented than hard core snow tires. I thought the Blizzak WS-50's would be the ones. Has anyone used them? I'm in a rural area and get a fair bit of ice and deep snow. We also bottom out at -40c for a fair while in the middle of winter, but usually more like -20 to -30c.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
Snowies

Most of the hard core rear wheel drive BMW guys that I know use the Blizzaks, they all like them very much. My wife's C230 sport sedan is due to arrive in late OCT. early Nov. and that's what I'll be putting on her car. For sure!

·
Registered
357 Posts
There was a lot of snow in the northeast US last year. I had a minus one conversion to 16"...

There was a lot of snow in the northeast US last year. I had a minus one conversion to 16" wheels and used Dunlop Winter Sport M2 tires. No problems. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2001 W203 C240
79 Posts
snowies

I use Yokohama AVS Winter

they're H-rated, so noise and handling is pretty close to my all-season Continentals in the dry.

pretty darn good in the snow and slush.

on glare ice however, I would think (by reputation) Blizzaks are still the best in the industry.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that there is a trade-off between the following winter tire characteristics:
-snow
-slush
-dry
-rain
-ice

you will not get a tire that excels in all categories.

·
Registered
2002 E320W4
242 Posts
have the michelin pilot alpines for the E 4matic and artic alpines up front on the integra...

have the michelin pilot alpines for the E 4matic and artic alpines up front on the integra. never have a problem with traction and the E is able to get thru some pretty bad mountain passes that subarus and little suvs have problems with...mass helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts