Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1994 W124 E320 coupe, midnight blue, lowered and enhanced, 17" wheels
395 Posts
The rear is 17x8.5 ET30 they are off of a C36 AMG W202

My suspension is lowered via H&R springs, but there would still be a danger of hitting the fender lip upon compression even if I wasn't lowered.

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
18,253 Posts
I think you either are gonna have to give up the H&R springs or the wheels. My vote is to ditch the springs if you want to stand a decent chance of making those wheels fit without rubbing. And count your blessings if you can get away with it by only rolling the fender lips.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Thanks, if I could get my hands on some nice Aero I wheels then I would surely abandon the set I have. But I really dont like the looks of those W124 Aero II.

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
18,253 Posts
... But I really dont like the looks of those W124 Aero II.
... BUT those are the only game in town if you want plug & play AMG rims without rubbing or rolling anything. Besides, those are W124 specific rims . . . and you've got a W124. Goes together like peas & carrots.

·
Premium Member
SL's & 500E's
2,091 Posts
Huh??

Thanks, if I could get my hands on some nice Aero I wheels then I would surely abandon the set I have. But I really dont like the looks of those W124 Aero II.
The wheels your aking about are Mono II's, the exact same design, but with an ET and width that would fit all 124's.

Whats not to like about them, the way they are painted? They are the same style wheel.

True Aero I wheels will never fit, the will be worse than what you have now.

The nick names of some of these wheels can be confusing, try this to help separate them.

Aero I - 17" version came in ET 11 and ET28 only, really 126 wheels, 500E's can run these
Aero I - 16" versions came is several ET's, and some are compatible with 124's, I have a set on my E420, 7.5J x 16H2 ET40, w202 wheels that fit perfect.

AMG Mono I (5 spoke) - 17" version are SLK wheels, 7.5x17 et37 front & 8.5 x 17 et30 rears.

AMG Mono II (5 hole) - 17" version NORMALLY are C36 wheels, 7.5 x 17 et37 front and 8.5 et 30 rears (what you have)

AMG Mono II (5 hole) - 17" version made for 124's, 7.5 x 17 et 42 - PERFECT 124 wheels

The link I posted is for that very rare 124 set, you should have jumped on them at that price. If I didn't have a storage room already filled with wheels I would have taken them myself.

Aero I 17" wheels are very flat with wide spokes a sharp angles, the Mono II wheels like you have much softer lines and look better on a 124 I think.

The only thing you can do to keep these wheels is to buy two more front wheels and sell the 8.5's. They are not hard to find.

See attached pictures, the single picture is a Aero I 17" wheel, a very different looking wheel then the Monoblock I's or II's

Attachments

·
Registered
1998 SL500 Sport
160 Posts
I have 17" Mono II, staggered, fronts 7.5" with ET37 and back 8.5" ET30. Tires are 225/45 and 245/40 as on the C36. Also Eibach -30mm springs and everything fits perfect.

No rubbing or anything

·
Premium Member
SL's & 500E's
2,091 Posts
Nice Color

I have 17" Mono II, staggered, fronts 7.5" with ET37 and back 8.5" ET30. Tires are 225/45 and 245/40 as on the C36. Also Eibach -30mm springs and everything fits perfect.

No rubbing or anything
WOW, love that color, wish my CE was your color. Mine is 199, and the 500E I just bought is a 199, and I wish it wasn't so expensive to swap colors all together. I'm a little tired of charcoal colored cars.

Anyway back on topic, while I've owned my CE I've also had the exact same wheel set, and when I bought mu car it had the similarly sized Mono I SLK wheels. I did not lower my CE and occasionally it would rub in the back. I had the rear fenders rolled and the rubbing went away.

His problem may be that he has lowered it too much, which make the problem worse of course. Using a set of all 4 front wheels, you could still put a wider tire on the back to give a staggered look, but a et35 wheel would pull the tire away from the fender.

BTW, the spec's for your wheels (you quote), are off "slightly", your fronts are really ET35 if they are AMG C36/43 wheels, it's the Mono I SLK wheels that have ET37 fronts, I know because I owned both set types and ran them both. I ran the same tire sizes as yours on both these two sets as well, they looked great.

The reason I sold both sets, Mono I's and II's, was that by luck I ran accross a set of 16" true OZ Aero I 3 piece wheels. These wheels did not come staggered, all 7.5" wide, but to me now, they are the perfect 124 wheel, with an et of 40, they are perfectly sized for a 124, and the 16" tire is just a better ride. I could lower mine a lot, and these wheels would still NOT rub.

Kudos on you CE, really nice.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Great info thank you guys.

Aero I, ironically the wheels you have as your avatar are my favorite, I like them more than than the Aero II which I have. With regards to those W124 Aero wheels, the reason I dont like them is that the centers are pushed out too far and give it a bulbous look (unlike the ones I have), I like a flatter appearance closer to what the first gen Aeros have. They are all over Europe for sale, but shipping is usually over $400, and the wheels are never cheap to begin with $1200+, a bit more than I want to spend for a daily driven car that will go on NYC cratered streets. Only time I see them for sale in the USA they are chromed (usually pitted)....which I think is gaudy and too costly to strip to make worthwhile (better to buy from europe in that case).

I think I am going to buy a fender roller and give it a try........yikes. Been watching videos and it looks pretty straight forward

Alar, even with full compression you have no rub in the rear? The way it looks to me is I can get the wheels to fit if I were to just sit still....but as soon as I start driving and roll over a bump or dip, or even have a passenger its good bye quarter panel and hello very costly repair bill. Thanks!

·
Registered
1998 SL500 Sport
160 Posts
Dont know that much fat chicks to but them on the back seat to achive full compression :D
Eibach springs are much stiffer then the originals and I probably would need a rally stage with a jump to get the tire touching the fender

The 500miles I drove the car after reciving it from the bodyshop and before the engine harness gave up, I went over allkinds of speedbumps and humps. Nothing, no rubbing

·
Registered
395 Posts
Dont know that much fat chicks to but them on the back seat to achive full compression :D
Eibach springs are much stiffer then the originals and I probably would need a rally stage with a jump to get the tire touching the fender

The 500miles I drove the car after reciving it from the bodyshop and before the engine harness gave up, I went over allkinds of speedbumps and humps. Nothing, no rubbing
LMAO.....I guess I would rather err on the safe side, as far as I can see on my car, it will crunch for sure. Im going to have my had at the fender rolling and try to get rid of any interference.

·
Premium Member
SL's & 500E's
2,091 Posts
Fender roller

Great info thank you guys.

Aero I, ironically the wheels you have as your avatar are my favorite, I like them more than than the Aero II which I have. With regards to those W124 Aero wheels, the reason I dont like them is that the centers are pushed out too far and give it a bulbous look (unlike the ones I have), I like a flatter appearance closer to what the first gen Aeros have. They are all over Europe for sale, but shipping is usually over $400, and the wheels are never cheap to begin with $1200+, a bit more than I want to spend for a daily driven car that will go on NYC cratered streets. Only time I see them for sale in the USA they are chromed (usually pitted)....which I think is gaudy and too costly to strip to make worthwhile (better to buy from europe in that case).

I think I am going to buy a fender roller and give it a try........yikes. Been watching videos and it looks pretty straight forward

Alar, even with full compression you have no rub in the rear? The way it looks to me is I can get the wheels to fit if I were to just sit still....but as soon as I start driving and roll over a bump or dip, or even have a passenger its good bye quarter panel and hello very costly repair bill. Thanks!
Instead of buying a fender roller, go get a couple of prices from some local body shops, I've seen them advertised for $60 per wheel well. For $120 you get a pro doing it right, and you would have a tool laying around collecting dust.

Look on Craigs List too, search fender rolling, here is the first one I found

https://newyork.craigslist.org/que/aos/5594977389.html

Good luck

·
Registered
1977 W123.123 1995 W124.034
3,925 Posts
I ended up getting the set in the link you posted. I had no idea they were so rare and I cant even find another set for sale anywhere at the moment.

The wheels your aking about are Mono II's, the exact same design, but with an ET and width that would fit all 124's.

Whats not to like about them, the way they are painted? They are the same style wheel.

True Aero I wheels will never fit, the will be worse than what you have now.

The nick names of some of these wheels can be confusing, try this to help separate them.

Aero I - 17" version came in ET 11 and ET28 only, really 126 wheels, 500E's can run these
Aero I - 16" versions came is several ET's, and some are compatible with 124's, I have a set on my E420, 7.5J x 16H2 ET40, w202 wheels that fit perfect.

AMG Mono I (5 spoke) - 17" version are SLK wheels, 7.5x17 et37 front & 8.5 x 17 et30 rears.

AMG Mono II (5 hole) - 17" version NORMALLY are C36 wheels, 7.5 x 17 et37 front and 8.5 et 30 rears (what you have)

AMG Mono II (5 hole) - 17" version made for 124's, 7.5 x 17 et 42 - PERFECT 124 wheels

The link I posted is for that very rare 124 set, you should have jumped on them at that price. If I didn't have a storage room already filled with wheels I would have taken them myself.

Aero I 17" wheels are very flat with wide spokes a sharp angles, the Mono II wheels like you have much softer lines and look better on a 124 I think.

The only thing you can do to keep these wheels is to buy two more front wheels and sell the 8.5's. They are not hard to find.

See attached pictures, the single picture is a Aero I 17" wheel, a very different looking wheel then the Monoblock I's or II's

Reactions: Aero I

·
Premium Member
SL's & 500E's
2,091 Posts
Smart move

I ended up getting the set in the link you posted. I had no idea they were so rare and I cant even find another set for sale anywhere at the moment.
The price was just excellent for a rare set of AMG 124 wheels, good buy.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Here is the fit with no mods to rear fender. Saturday I am having the guy you posted from CL to come and see if he can do it. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Well got it rolled. Front fenders came out "ok" rear came out perfect. I am not overly concerned about the front however since I am getting the whole front clip repainted. I am loving the better performance these new tires are affording me!

·
Premium Member
SL's & 500E's
2,091 Posts
Excellent Looking CE

Well got it rolled. Front fenders came out "ok" rear came out perfect. I am not overly concerned about the front however since I am getting the whole front clip repainted. I am loving the better performance these new tires are affording me!

Man, those wheels really look great on your CE, and such a rare color.

I'm glad it worked out... :)

One more suggestion, if your going to paint anyway, do the cladding and bumpers as well, the exact same color and gloss finish as the top half. The 2 tone paint from the factory was a design blunder. Your CE will look so much better all one color, just a thought.

Good Job...!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Man, those wheels really look great on your CE, and such a rare color.

I'm glad it worked out... :)

One more suggestion, if your going to paint anyway, do the cladding and bumpers as well, the exact same color and gloss finish as the top half. The 2 tone paint from the factory was a design blunder. Your CE will look so much better all one color, just a thought.

Good Job...!
Thank you!

Yes, I am going to do more than that, already have a brand new AMG kit sitting in my garage, and yes I will paint all the cladding and the kit the same color.

·
Registered
395 Posts
BTW I had the suspension aligned to Sportline specs but since the car is even lower than a Sportline the front is out of spec, too much camber, which might be okay if I was at the race track its not so good for tire wear and highway driving (wanders slightly). It was suggested I get a camber kit. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good camber kit? I see many for sale, dont know which might be better.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts