Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

What size tires for AMG Aero 1 wheels

32K views 64 replies 20 participants last post by  peter72 
#1 ·
Factory size is 215/65/15. AMG Aero 8x17. +11 offset.

My 560SEL will be lowered 0.75-1" at the front only. I was thinking 245/45/17 all round.
What have you guys had experience with suggest, and why?
Would appreciate feedback/comments thanks.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I have 235/45/17 Pirelli P6's on my C126. The car is lowered with H&R springs and the fender are rolled. No rubbing and the setup looks great!

Attachments

#6 ·
wheels look awesome!! i am looking for a set of Aero I's any idea where i could get a set?

#5 ·
Thanks guys. I hear you on the 235/45/17 and they do look great but the instruction manual for my 1990 560SEL says that the specified tires are 215/65/15. Going to 235/45's will mean a change in the speedo reading of 2.6%. Going to 245/45/17 will mean a speedo reading change of 1.2% which is almost negligible.

http://www.kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual-tyre-size-calculator

The width of the 245's attracts me and they should fill out the guards better. I really want to be rid of the AMG replicas but want to make sure the tire selection is right. Then there is tire brand selection .....geeeez.

Anyone have 245/45's with Aero 1's?

#7 ·
i have 245 45 17 with amg 3 piece in front and 275 40 in rear

im thinking about going down to 235 45 in front and 265 40 in rear, once i lower the car

right now, that i have my fenders rolled in rear, i have no rubbing over those yump bumps , i just wanna maintain that aspect when i do lower, if i do, hence i was thinking about the 265 in rear set up and i would have to match with 235 in front

what suxs is tires choices is limted with that setup for me

#22 ·
Hi Vdub, I have the same 3pc AMG like your now being refurbished. Check out all the tyre shops locally and they do not any stock for the rear 10 inch which is 265/40/17. Would 255/45/17 fit properly & speedometer correction would be minimal. Tyre choice is either the Falken 912 or FK452.

#10 ·
I believe the differerences are seen between 560 and non-560 fenders. Its very slight though. There have been past threads on it.. I think by Damon?

#11 ·
The difference in the fenders is only the wider arches on the euro 560. Us versions of the 560 don´t have them. Therefore they have 205 tires instead of the oem 215 on the euro version.

Gen I and non 560 Gen II fenders are the same and interchangeable.

#14 ·
Hey guys and gals. Thanks for your input earlier. I left it a bit because I was concrentrating on getting the tyres for my OZ rims right. It's been a while but I'm now ready to take off the AMG OZ rims and install the AMG Aero 1's. The OZ rims are my special occassion wheels. I'm very happy with my tyre selection for the OZ rims now...update will come soon on the thread for this.

Quick q for those not wanting to read on - Should I go for 235/45/17 or 225/50/17? Anymore pics with both installed on 17" rims on a w126?

The AERO 1's will be used on road trips. We have just about got to Summer here now and Optimus Black Pearl (OBP) will be used more often for the weekend trips. Never take a Hyundai or another compact car on long trips. Geez the crappy seats and bumpy ride make your a@@ sore, lol !

Anyway, I digress. In two weeks I will install the Eibach springs at the front only. This will just give the SEL a very very slight rake at the front. This will also fill the tyre/fender gap.

The tyre selection is almost a nightmare. I would like to go to Michelins and be done with it. My local tyre guy has got Pirellis on special so it could be those. Otherwise there are others ike Bridgestone/Hankook etc. For the US guys, I'm looking at what you would refer to as an all season tyre.

The question : I still have not decided on the size to go for. I prefer them to be all the same size all round for rotation purposes. The thing is the size.

The factory size for my 560 was 215/65/15 and I have a preference for 225/50/17 as this gets close to the rolling diameter. The difference is 661mm (factory) and 658mm (225/50's). This is a nice upsize. The important thing for me is comfort on the long trips but I dont want the car to be wallowing at every corner. I dont drive my w126 crazily but like to have that confidence that if I have to make a sudden maneover, the tyres will do their job. Most trips will have my family onboard as well.

235/45's are another option but these have a lightly lower profile and I'm sure if my car will really suit that look.

Some of the Aussie guys might be able to help with this. Older Holden Commodores/Falcons come to mind on those beaut Aussie open roads.

For anyone - How have you setup your w126 for touring?

Thanks in advance as always. BW is incredible for w126 stuff.

#15 · (Edited)
Here are the "official" AMG docs for the Aero I wheels - Conversion from stock wheels and also the German TUV specs. Note that you have the early verison Aero wheels (not the ////AMG) and need 12x1.5 lugs with a 33mm threaded shaft. Also, the "correct" tire size is 235 45 17, per the attached.

Al

Attachments

#16 ·
Thanks alydon,

I have those docs and remember seeing the tyre size.

It appears that the tyre size recommended by MB is 235/45/17. The speedometer correction is recommended for 560's. I guess most w126 with AERO 1's were AMG kitted back in the day as well and may even had AMG lowering springs installed.

I figured by going to 225/50 tyres I would not need to correct the speedo. What do you think?

#17 ·
If you have a GPS, check the accuracy of your car's speedometer currently. If accurate, then choose a tire that has the same or close to same rolling radius as your current tires. If your current speedo is inaccurate by some %, play with the rolling radius on different tire sizes.

Al

#18 ·
Good point Al. I found out last year that most European tyres are larger than Japanese/Korean tyres. So a Euro 225/50 could likely be larger than a Japanese/Korean 225/50 !

I'll put the standard wheels on and get a starting point from there.

Any images of w126 with 225/50/17's?

#19 ·
I am running 235/45/17 with no issues with the speedo. I can change to the 15" stockers (205/55/15 I think) again with no effect of speedo calibration.

Mike

#21 ·
Not sure what the difference is but it appears that Euro 560's came with 215/65/15.

I'm starting to look at Michelin, Pirelli and Goodyear assymetrical.

#23 ·
that may be narrow for 10's but every tire brand is different. i did go with 235 and 265 and it works perfect, bridgestons re 760s but also try conti dws

265 is a rarer size so just order online, or have yoru local shop order them
u will be fine with 245 and 275 too if u need

use 1010tires.com for speed analysis, changes are minimal and who cars, u know how fast u are going

also u can use tirerack.com for exact tire widths per brand

#24 ·
Thanks for the super fast feedback.

Check on so many tire shop and the only stock they have is 255/40/17. After checking with website link given, that tyre size is closer to stock compare to 255/45/17. Only thing now is find the brand that is has the widest width plus have some sort of sidewall protection. There isn't any 275/40/17 too.

I may lean towards the Falken FK452 since it rains a lot in my country. Hope to get it sorted by this weekend.

#26 ·
my concern with 255 is not enuf protection for the rim, but im sure if badwayz chimed in he would promote the stretched look as he had a narrow setup

#27 ·
The last few posts surely are talking about the staggered AMG OZ 3 piece wheels ?

Any assistance with my AMG Aero 1's. If BW cant do it can someone reocmmned a site which is good for tyre/tire discussions?

#29 ·
benzi... its been discussed already that the best tires for these wheels are 235/45/17 per AMG catalogs. Its pretty much black and white as to what the "correct" tire size for that wheel is.

#31 ·
well benzi your wrong

or i guess i spoiled the look of my car as it has no amg kit

and this is what we call low profile

#33 ·
well benzi your wrong

or i guess i spoiled the look of my car as it has no amg kit
No vdubpower you are wrong, because we are talking about AMG Aero 1 wheels not AMG OZ 3 piece. I've said your car looks good with the setup you have in other threads you have posted the same pictures. Nice to see it again but if you dont have a qualified opinion on what I've I asked for, dont post about AMG OZ rims on this thread.

#35 · (Edited)
Congrats on finding the AMG Aero 1's KRH. They are getting harder to find.

I understand your calculations. Here is one of the websites that I use.

Wheel-Tire - RIMSnTIRES.com
They give 661mm as a rolling diameter for 215/65/15
and 658mm for 225/50/17.
and 644mm for 235/45/17.

Another site I use is

Visual Tyre Size Calculator | Kouki Tech
They give 660.5mm as a rolling diameter for 215/65/15
and 656.8mm for 225/50/17.
and 643.3mm for 235/45/17.

I didnt want to go too wider than 225/235 so thats why the 225's appear to be the closest to the factory rolling diameter. I will be taking my tape measure as well when I go tyre shopping soon. Yes I will be a pain for some of the tyre shops but I treasure my w126 experience. Part of that experience comes from getting things right on my w126 I want it to remain that way.

I want someone to validate if I am going down the worng path with my tyre selections and I will reconsider....and learn :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.