Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2004 CL55
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,

i looked through various posts on fitting the fender flares and i want to use silicon for set of mines too, but what silicon should it be? can someone name a brand or some spec the silicon should be of?

i 've seen few cans on ebay, but the thing is: they put it goes for cleaning in the description..so i got confused.

pls advise
alex

· Registered
ml320 2002
402 Posts
any silicon should be fine. For a silver car, I used the grey silicon instead of clear to match the car and the flares. Use your index finger and spread the silicon over the edges and wipe off the unneccessary with a towel. If there are gaps between the flares and the car, do not push the flare in while filling it with silicon because the it will not be strong enough to hold it. Just fill the gap with a lil more silicon.

· Registered
1998 ML320
508 Posts
I was not aware of this procedure, why are we doing this?

I have a few gaps between the vehicle and the fender flares.

note: if this silicone is to prevent damage to the vehicle paint, I am too late for that as the flares have been on the vehicle for 8 years and damage has already been done

· Registered
ML320,C230, F250, Bayliner, Mountain Bike, Fleetwood Motorhome etc...
1,840 Posts
I didn't use any silicone when I installed mine. I don't see what purpose it would serve. The clips keep the flairs tight against the body already. Silicone will eventually come off anyway unless you sand the paint and give it something to grip to...

· Registered
ml320 2002
402 Posts
My friend used 3m tape on his ML and the tape started to come off from time to time. I guess the water went in after washing his car. Plus, I use silicon to cover up gaps or any imperfection of the flares. It depends on you guys. It helps alot for me =)

· Registered
ML320,C230, F250, Bayliner, Mountain Bike, Fleetwood Motorhome etc...
1,840 Posts
What kind of flares do you have? Mine have no gaps, they conform perfectly to the body. Mine are genuine MB flares.

· Registered
66 Posts
soulsociety714 said:
My friend used 3m tape on his ML and the tape started to come off from time to time. I guess the water went in after washing his car. Plus, I use silicon to cover up gaps or any imperfection of the flares. It depends on you guys. It helps alot for me =)
There's no gap in mine. Just about every emblem, trim piece, side molding uses tape now days. Have you ever tried to take a emblem off? Not easy.

· Registered
41 Posts
There is silicone spray and silicone caulk. Silicone spray can be used as a solvent ( it is actually a lubricant ), hence the e-bay description you were confused about. You are looking for silicone caulk, can be found at any home center or hardware store. Just be aware that silicone does not bond to silicone. Meaning, once you adhere something with silicone caulk, if it comes loose you will have to clean off all of the existing silicone before you can use it to bond the piece back to the vehicle. If you have ever tried to remove silicone caulk, just be aware it is a bitch!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.