Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about placing HID's on my ride,
when i bought the headlights there was a sticker that said " NO HID's"
the brand is sonyar or something like that! i was wondering if i put 8000k hid's would that melt my head lights???
thanks alot

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
yes it is H1 (instead of H7 in stock headlights) for low and hi beam. I'm using this halo for running lights.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well one thing people dont realize, is that without the ballast and too high a temperature output for the headlight material and setup and for the car's system, a high amount of output can not only melt your headlights, fry wires, but start fires etc. Also, if there is a high output and not a proper direction for the projection of the output, this creates a greater chance of any of these happening. I have seen it happen before. Dont assume that because it works now, its completely fine. Doesnt mean the housing isnt getting weaker and weaker, and wires more and more fried until something happens. Those types of things are on there for a reason, granted most are a bit of overkill.

·
Registered
139 Posts
That kit appears to be the same as many of us have purchased, and many of our kits (mine included) came with a ballast and HID bulbs already fitted in the enclosure. Stock wiring should not be a concern, as the factory HID headlights get their power from the same connector as the halogens.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have my HID more than 2 years now, all wires are fine. In this headlights I used the same HID, I just replaced headlights (all wires the same) which is just a plastic box. I'm using this new headlights more than a month, everyday driving, nothing melts so far.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Well one thing people dont realize, is that without the ballast and too high a temperature output for the headlight material and setup and for the car's system, a high amount of output can not only melt your headlights, fry wires, but start fires etc. Also, if there is a high output and not a proper direction for the projection of the output, this creates a greater chance of any of these happening. I have seen it happen before. Dont assume that because it works now, its completely fine. Doesnt mean the housing isnt getting weaker and weaker, and wires more and more fried until something happens. Those types of things are on there for a reason, granted most are a bit of overkill.
Not so.
HID bulbs are 35Watts, less than halogen bulbs at 55Watts. They are also brighter so more energy is going into light output rather than heat. Halogen bulbs work on a heated filament, HIDs on ionised gas discharge (ie. not heat). So they should not fry the housings - much less so.
The thing to ensure is that all the wiring insulation from the ballast to to the bulb is intact - HID bulbs work at thousands of volts - needed to create the gas discharge that generates the light in the bulb.
A very good dissertation on headlamps is on wikipedia Headlamp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
:thumbsup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts