Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
95 E320
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i currently have a 88 300SEL w/ non-working tranny, the car is in pretty bad shape over all, and even with the tranny wouldnt sell for much...
now i personnaly would like to keep it take it apart and learn all about it, and cars in general... but my mom seems keen on selling it for parts, and what not...
what is it even worth?

its a white on blue, with 180,000 miles, and rough condition... it is blue though, and seems like a pretty rare color? also how much should we take it for? if the mechanic offers us a price? im going on friday to clean it out and decied on what to do...
also could i myself ebay, or whatnot the "pricer" parts myself and actually make $1000+ maybe? i know some of the parts are worth quite a lot... so this could be another option as a side summer job or something like that...

thanks
seth mac

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Selling for parts is generally preferable as you may realize more money – that’s what someone will do if they buy the car from you whole. The downside to parting out will be it takes longer, you’ll have to find a place for the car while it’s being dismantled, and you’ll have the carcass to be towed away when done. If you have a place to store parts you could pull it apart right away and have the chassis removed faster. You’ll also be able to learn about the car and how it works by taking it apart. Remember also that although a part may not work it may have parts that are still useful.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts