Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1991 300D 2.5 Turbo 305k, 2001 S600 110k, 2007 GL320CDI 4Matic 155k, 2007 E320 Bluetec 160k
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the OEM rims & new tires from my 2007 E320 laying around, and fittingly, my 1991 300D's tires are balding. So, I decided to have the E320 16 inch rims mounted on my 300D. Went to my local tire shop, they bolted on the new wheels, but couldn't back the car off of the jack because the lugs in the back were too long by half of an inch for the new wheels... so the bolts were pushed past the threads and further into the hub than they should. They told me I needed to buy new shorter lugs for the new wheels to work on that car-fair enough. They then only put back on the original wheels on the rear two wheels. I asked them to put the fronts back on the car so my car doesn't look funny. They then charged my another half hour of labor. After the original wheels were put back on the car, when the car was still in the air, they put it in reverse to see if the wheels were moving freely... the right was stuck. After some force, they backed it out of the garage and it was making a metal-on-metal noise when the car was moving. The mechanic floored the car around the parking lot and told me to get the emergency brake fixed (he said it was a stretched spring in the parking brake) and get new lugs and bring it back to him and pretty much said you're on your own have a nice f***ing day. I drove two miles then sniffed and felt the rear tire that was sticking - it smelled burnt and the wheel was hot - the other rear tire was cool and did not smell. Currently, the car is in my driveway and I am unsure if it is safe to drive to work until I can bring it to the mechanic (does anyone know how much this will cost?) Also, should I have any reimbursement from the tire place? Thanks.

·
Registered
2008 E350 4M, 2016 Audi Allroad, 2019 Audi Q5
5,445 Posts
No its not safe to drive...that should be obvious.

Technically its not there fault because you brought the wheels to them. Had they picked the wheels out, it would be a different story.

It SHOULD have been obvious had the lugs been too long. It would click severely. But any chain shop is full of morons with no common sense making $8/hr.

·
Registered
1995 E320
2,539 Posts
Unless you supplied them with the correct wheelbolts and they didn't install them, I don't see how it is their fault.

They did the work requested with the supplies you provided. Unless you are saying it's their job to check that the wheels you've supplied to put on your car are the correct fit (and by extension, the wheel bolts.) Information that is hardly relevant wen the customer comes in saying I want to put those wheels on that car.

·
Registered
'04 W211 E240, MY10 W204 C300
825 Posts
Not only but also.
Modern Benz wheels use a 14mm thread bolt and ball seat.
W124's and W210's use a 12mm thread.
To install late wheels on older cars you need special lug bolts with a 14mm ball seat and 12mmm thread 26mm long thread available from here : RAD Lug Bolt 12mmx1.5, 26mm Shank, R14 Ball Seat, Hex 17

If you don't use these the wheel wont seat properly and as the O.P has discovered the longer original bolts will mince the emergency brake mechanism on the rears.

·
Registered
1991 300D 2.5 Turbo 305k, 2001 S600 110k, 2007 GL320CDI 4Matic 155k, 2007 E320 Bluetec 160k
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, I will buy those bolts. Do you approximately how much the emergency brake repair will cost me?

·
Registered
1984, 201.122, OM601.921, G717.410
504 Posts
You do not disclose in what state or country this happened. The legal climate is quite different in various states, and different countries can have radically different legal systems. In California, it is generally strict liability for vehicle repairs -- the service provider is presumed liable.

The service provider is the expert, and you were paying for their expertise. They were not acting as your employee or agent, literally following your instructions, but were acting as an independent expert with a duty to apply their expertise. That is why they have liability insurance and charge the big bucks. They neglected their expert duty. That is a tort, to which liability for consequential damages attaches.

In most states, you can contact the state bar association for a referral, and get a free (or very low cost) 1/2 hour consultation. Depending on that info, you may want to take the service provider to small claims court, where they cannot have an attorney.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts