Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Arctic White 560 SEC and 1990 Smoke Silver Metallic 560 SEC (formerly Cascade's)
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you might know, I am a soon to be college student, and as such, I cannot afford the monster appetite of the 560 SEC, nor does the size lend itself to college campus driving. (the problem is mostly the size, and the fact that it would get keyed/broken into) That puts me in quite a quandry! I can get a 300D or something similar (still a benz!!!) that gets around 26-30 mpg and save my gas money for uh, fermented beveraged and keep the 560 SEC in storage/my parent's house. OR I can sell the SEC for whatever the fair market value is, make a bit of money, and then after college go back and buy another SEC.

The thing is, if I leave the car with my parents, they will not maintain it, as it is an expensive car to maintain, all the rubber parts drying out and all, and they have other things to worry about.

What do you think is the right thing to do? If I sell, what price should I sell it at? I have no base price to compare it to, as it is a Euro SEC, all options save trip computer and C-net phone. It has a brand new butternut leather interior, and has just been serviced with a new timing chain and guide rails, etc. The car is in absolutely fabulous condition, the only thing is a small leak around the trunk, but it is garage kept. How much can I expect from it? I would rather sell it to someone here than on ebay - I know it would get taken care of well.

·
Registered
2008 S550 designo
396 Posts
If it were me, I'd keep the SEC (sounds like you've kept it up well and really like it) and buy something else for school. Leave it at your parents and perform preventive maintenance when you're home of the holidays, etc.

You'll probably have a hard time finding one in as good of condition 4 years from now...

tw

·
Registered
03' C320 4Matic SS
670 Posts
ya clean it and do what u gotta do (wax) throw a cover on it if its gonna be stayin outside try to ask ur rents for help and get somethin economical for skool like a civic or somethin

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Any pictures? What color is it? I'd like to have an SEC at my FL place.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Your SEC is difficult to drive around campus? Good thing you don’t have an SEL! You’re crazy to give up any classic Euro MB in general and a Euro SEC in particular. As noted above, keep it at mom and dad’s, drive it when you can and keep it up – it’s the cars that sit for months or years on end that atrophy; if you can drive it at least on weekends she should be ok. A 123 diesel’s a good idea or a w124 sedan, very low key, not the best on gas but a true urban warrior – or perhaps better yet a w201 with the m102 2.3 L engine. It is not the most exciting MB ever made but very maneuverable and decent on fuel.

·
Registered
261 Posts
i took my 420 sel to school my freshman year to ucla. the parking doesnt get any worse than over there. literally. i mean it cannot. where are u going to school? just take it with you and pay to garage it somewhere.

·
Registered
1984 280SEL AMG
701 Posts
Sounds like you've had this baby for quite a long time. I personaly think you should keep it. Pick up somthing else to use at school, get yourself a GEO Metro... that way you'll LOVE the day you take your BABY out on a CLASSY date ( the car and your date )

·
Registered
380SEC EURO
1,430 Posts
You’d be crazy to get rid of a Euro 560SEC. I agree with the others; put it in storage and buy another smaller, fuel efficient Mercedes.

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
I understand your pain, i hate parking my SEC on campus, i get all the wrong looks, plus i can't keep myself from beating all the people who want to race me around here. Lot's of jealous looks...

Buy a beater car or ride a bike (like i do), and park the car in an enclosed garage near the campus so you can still drive it regularly, and you'll be getting exercise. It'll be VERY hard to find a euro 560 in the states with the trip computer and known maintenance record.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Just remembered your color, chocolate brown. Very popular in the early 70's, especially on the old 200 series . Not my cup of tea.

·
Registered
1990 Arctic White 560 SEC and 1990 Smoke Silver Metallic 560 SEC (formerly Cascade's)
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It would be great if I could keep it close to me while at college, but my father got a new job in Ohio, and I would be at Florida State (850 miles away!). That is the source of my problem. I know it is a very rare find (to find an Import SEC), but I would like for it to be well taken care of. That is my dilema.
The last thing I want is for GROND to sit neglected :(

I don't know if I should sell it or not, but if I were to sell it, what would be a fair asking price for it? Just mulling ideas around in my head right now...

·
Registered
Mercedes G Brabus
678 Posts
I just saw the pictures in your gallery and I must say it's a very beautifull original SEC. Before you sell make sure you won't regret it afterwards because finding one in the same condition after a couple of years won't be easy or cheap. If your car is parked in a closed garage it is no problem at all to use it only once a week - once in 2 weeks. My G-class has the same amount of use and I never had anything go wrong with it. I was shocked to read that it get's keyed if it is parked on campus grounds [?] Isn't basic intelligence a rule for going to university [:(]

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know, I'm thinking it might be better to bite the proverbial bullet and have my parents run it once or twice a week, and for spring, fall, summer, and christmas break, performing preventative maintenance, changing the fluids, rubber components, you know...the stuff that wears away. Pretty soon, I could have a classic automobile on my hands worth lots of $$$ (hopefully!).
As for getting keyed at the University, it is true. My friend got a new VW passat and the first day he drove it on campus, it was keyed on both sides. Nobody will key my SEC [:(!][:(!][:(!]
I want to keep it as stock as possible, just adding the AMG Monoblock II's, as well as a CD player, enough of this becker!
But still, I would like to know...How much $$$ is the Euro SEC worth?

·
Registered
Mercedes G Brabus
678 Posts
I can only give you an idea what it's worth over here in Europe and I think you won't like it : because the taxes on large engines and horsepower, combined with highly taxed petrol prices, insurance rates and costs to maintain these beauties the very best of them don't make more than +/- 5-8500 euro's. If the mileage is high and the car has aftermarket wheels or spoilers 560's are known to fetch only +/- 2500 euro's. I think it's a different story in the States with all that cheap gasoline etc... but over here this is the sad truth [:(] I sold my 300 se 2 years ago with 250.000 km on the clock but perfectly Mercedes dealer maintained and in perfect order for only 2000 euro's and that was considered a good price [xx(]

Attachments

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Kid, you’d be plumb crazy to sell that Euro SEC, it’s bad enough you’re going to FSU, don’t make two tragic mistakes so early in your young life.

Tell you what: bring it down here to me in Tampa, I’ll take extra special care of it for you, just like it was my own – I’ll make it part of my 126 family, he’ll have two other 126 brothers to play with. I’ll bring it up to Tally every so often (‘bout 5 hours on 75 and 10, the road trip would be perfect for that engine) so you can see him. We’re 100 percent snow and salt free here. And I’ll do it all free of charge. When you matriculate I’ll hand him back to you more than likely in better condition than when I got it. What do you say?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hehe, I know how sentiments run about FSU (all of my friends are Gators, or soon-to be Gators) It's just that even though I was accepted at Oberlin, the financial aide 'package' that they decided to reward me wasn't nearly as much as I need. I figure, I save my money by going to FSU (for free basically, bright futures scholarship) and then do grad school at Rice or northwestern.
As you know, I will double major in music performance and International relations - both of which have a very good program at FSU. :)

As for 'adopting' my SEC, I will think about that...I definitely want to keep it out of anywhere north of Georgia/South Carolina. Ohio is AWFUL for the amount of corrosive calcium chloride used on the roads.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Ah, yes, the Bright Futures Scholarship – I know it well. Just as long as you don’t end up an a**hole like all the other ‘noles I know, you’ll be OK. [:D]

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Actually, your suggestion is becoming more and more attractive as time goes by. It would be garaged indoors, correct?
I wonder how many people have let other people Babysit their Benz's. How would maintenance work? It'd be good to nip all of these issues in the bud, to avoid conflict and misunderstandings later on...

BTW, who is your alma mater? Anyone else from Florida here?

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
We don’t have garages down here – carports are the norm – the sun kills finishes and interiors. [xx(]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts