Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4540228656&category=6336

To be honest I really did not look closely at it as I’m still having a problem w/my cable modem disconnecting when I access eBay. [:0][:(!][xx(] (Guess it’s time for DSL or fiber optic.)

In any event, the color is nice inside and out and when I took a quick look she seems to be in very good condition. It’s a shame such a beautiful, well maintained car has such a problematic engine – unless a new engine was installed, I would not buy it.
[:(]

·
Registered
226 Posts
almost $13k? [8)][8)]
Why is it sooo high?? [8)][8)]
Is it because it is Diesel?
Why Diesel engine is way more expensive then gasoline engine?
Sorry for being so ignorant about this, but someone please tell me

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
RNMB - 4/4/2005 5:18 AM

almost $13k? [8)][8)]
Why is it sooo high?? [8)][8)]
Is it because it is Diesel?
Why Diesel engine is way more expensive then gasoline engine?
Sorry for being so ignorant about this, but someone please tell me
People are falling for the "500+k mile diesel engine" stories and think all diesel engines are alike. The engine in the 350 is a very troubled one, often causing cata$$$$$$$trophic damage. I'd imagine those bidding the current amount don't know about this.

Diesels in general, this goes for any make, have a higher resale value. Are they better than gasoline?.. thats up to the buyer to decide. I can speak for myself, in that if I had an option of getting a $13k 350 and a 560 with same milage.. I'd go for the 560 without even giving it a second thought.

This diesel car gets I believe around 23mpg... taking into consideration that diesel costs more than premium gasoline, its false economy to think you're getting a better milage per $. Those wanting a car that gets good milage should look into a hybrid or a TDI VW.

However, the 350 is the "560 of diesels"... they had the options of getting much of what the 560's had, except for burlwood.. and I've even saw them come with reclining rear seats and SLS. This one has ASR, which was an option in the US market in 1991 only. Its a neat option I think.. but not desirable in terms of racing/performance.

My thoughts on the ebay car...

+'s:
1) nice color combination
2) great shape
3) low milage
4) late model w126, rare model with an even rare ASR option.

-'s:
1) bad engine, known to self destruct
2) too much $ for milage(if 40-50k miles where shaved off, then I'd agree with the price its going for)

·
Registered
mercedes 300sel
143 Posts
This diesel car gets I believe around 23mpg... taking into consideration that diesel costs more than premium gasoline, its false economy to think you're getting a better milage per $. Those wanting a car that gets good milage should look into a hybrid or a TDI VW.

You americans pay more for diesel than premium??? boy is that weird.its almost like americans are trying to be as unefficeient as possible, you guys even get tax breaks on gaz guzzlers like yukon xl and excusions... theres some things il never understand..

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
ladybee - 4/4/2005 11:44 AM

You americans pay more for diesel than premium??? boy is that weird.its almost like americans are trying to be as unefficeient as possible, you guys even get tax breaks on gaz guzzlers like yukon xl and excusions... theres some things il never understand..
It used to be that diesel was cheaper than normal gasoline... not anymore.

·
Registered
mercedes 300sel
143 Posts
YEah even here in canada diesel was about 20 centsls less per liter than gaz, not its only about 5 cents cheeper, but when i go to vermont it jumps to 10 cents more per liter than gaz. i dont understand diesel is much cheeper to produce.
no one in america drive diesels. i think they dont want compitition with imports, becasue americans i dotn beleive have a very efficient diesel engine nor good ones. have you seen the diesel cutlass supreme, ahah a joke of a diesel engine...
Anyways its true diesel costs more becasue the demand for it is lower but its only lower demand because diesels have a horrible name in america, they hate them and are afraid to compete with them. but if people turned to diesel it will cost alot less than gaz, just take alook at europe. 1.60 euro per liter for gaz or 85 euro cents for diesel, imagine paying half the price gaz is listed

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
ladybee - 4/4/2005 3:01 PM

YEah even here in canada diesel was about 20 centsls less per liter than gaz, not its only about 5 cents cheeper, but when i go to vermont it jumps to 10 cents more per liter than gaz. i dont understand diesel is much cheeper to produce.
no one in america drive diesels. i think they dont want compitition with imports, becasue americans i dotn beleive have a very efficient diesel engine nor good ones. have you seen the diesel cutlass supreme, ahah a joke of a diesel engine...
Anyways its true diesel costs more becasue the demand for it is lower but its only lower demand because diesels have a horrible name in america, they hate them and are afraid to compete with them. but if people turned to diesel it will cost alot less than gaz, just take alook at europe. 1.60 euro per liter for gaz or 85 euro cents for diesel, imagine paying half the price gaz is listed
from what I understand the price increase is due to taxes. apparently diesel trucks are getting their diesl taxed? I always thought they were taxed though.

·
Registered
1985 300sd
445 Posts
Well diesel is the same price of premium here. But since I remember diesel being 30 cent per gallon cheaper than gasoline last summer, I won't worry about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts