Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2004 SL500; 2003 E320; 2001 ML430 Sport; 1999 E320 Wagon
404 Posts
Does a cheese grater brake better??

While you guys argue the fact, I'll go install them and let you know what I find out. No philosophy, or theory - just road rash and hopefully NO MORE SQUEALING.

'Cheese grater' - please! [xx(] If I told you they worked great - would it matter? You doubting Thomases wouldn't part with the $$$ anyway, would you
[?]

·
Registered
2000 ML430, 2000 C280
920 Posts
RE: Does a cheese grater brake better??

C'mon, now. You just love the looks of those holey rotors. Maybe we could debate the additional stopping performance of red paint applied to the calipers... :)

I wonder if drilled rotors would be so popular if they couldn't be seen through the wheels.

DelJ

gwwaterman - 4/7/2005 5:31 PM

'Cheese grater' - please! [xx(] If I told you they worked great - would it matter? You doubting Thomases wouldn't part with the $$$ anyway, would you
[?]

·
Registered
03 ML320
46 Posts
My 03 ML is due for brakes soon.

Thanks for the input on rotors and bads.

Just some experiece with drilled rotors.

They are BIG waste on ML. Same as hugh ricer wing. Ok maybe not THAT bad, but they are useless.

I ran drilled rotors on my race car for a while. They worked fine. Then after many many races and a number of worn through pads I deicide to replace them. I installed solid rotor 1/2 the price. Well I have noticed no difference on the race track and have not reason feel they are in any way better on street driven vehicle.

If any of you have any wheel to wheel racing experience that differes please let me know.

(PS.. off gasing of pads did happen, but that problem has been resolved for 20-30 years now)

·
Registered
2014 E63s AMG
319 Posts
After a Winter of sqealing brakes. I had my new brakes installed today. A while back I posted I did a pad swap with Wagners and they made crazy sounds. I lived with it all Winter.

Today I had my buddy install my crossdrilled and slotted rotors and Axxis XBG pads.

Rotors are from r1concepts.com
I chose the "Genuine" over the Brembo. I used the Brembos before and warped them faster then stock rotors on my Maxima.

Rotors are silver zinc coated. Pads are DEAD silent. Unlike the Axxis Metal Masters that were on my Maxima. Stopping is decent since they are breaking in. Once broken in I will "seat" the pads. A technique I learned that seems to really work. Take a look at Zeckhausen racing's site. He does mostly BMWs, but he is a Brembo and Braketech dealer and has a great way of "seating" the pads. Basically you need a long road. Get up to 60 then slam the brakes hard as possible down to 10mph. Then without stopping, back up to 60 and slam to 10 again. Do that about 4-10 times, until the brakes fade, then do not touch the brakes at all and drive a few miles to cool them off. DO not touch the brake at all. You need a long desolate road to do this. Read info on his site.He explains in detail why this works. I also got my new rechromed AMG rims installed. I will post some pics when I could.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts