Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Which selection do you drive in most often?

• Total voters
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Mercedes S55 AMG
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what you guys drive in.. Obviously Airmatic and ABC will be different, so please state which you have. Thanks!

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
2013 S550
10,878 Posts
The suspension on my '05 4Matic is stiffer than that on my '00 RWD. Both are/were Airmatic.

I used to drive the '00 in Sport 1, normal position (not raised). I find the '05 4Matic in the normal (no lights) setting to be about the same as Sport 1 in the '00.

I use Sport 1 or 2 in heavy crosswinds; it makes the car less responsive to wind, so it steers better.

The raised position is for very rough roads or for use of chains during winter weather. Its use is not recommended under normal conditions (though its use won't damage anything). Raising the car will make it more vulnerable to crosswinds. Frankly, the only reason I raise the car is to clear a bumper-scraping "stop" in a parking spot.

If the car is not raised, the Airmatic suspension will lower the car up to 3/4 inch to maintain an optimum position above the road, based on speed. This is separate from the raise/lower button on the dashboard. Raising the car cancels this feature until the parameters that automatically cancel raising are met (exceeding 75 mph, or maintaining a speed between 50 and 75 mph for 5 minutes).

·
Registered
2006 Mercedes S55 AMG
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just called the dealer today to ask them about the Teleaid retrofit and the service advisor made a comment, "wow" and I asked why he said that, and he said, "Nothing bad, but this car has had alot of work done to it". So we got talking and I asked him if any transmission work had been done and he said no, and then I asked if any Airmatic work had been done because the front struts looked brand new to me.. At first he said no, but then he said, wait a minute, yes the front struts were replaced in 2008. So I guess that's a little good news.. I wish I knew what else was done, but I'll have to go down there for that as they aren't allowed to print out these records..

·
Registered
02 G500, 01 Saab 9-3, 99 Pors 911. Past: 00 S500, 00 Rover, 04,99 Jag xj8, 95 Alfa 164
376 Posts
If you cozy up to them, they will print all that stuff out. I had my dealer provide a copy of every service from day one.

I'll bet you had a bunch of the suspension already done. I highly doubt you're running on the original ball joints/control arms, etc.

·
Registered
2006 Mercedes S55 AMG
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice I will have to try that.. I figure hes a service advisor and if it caught him off guard at the amount of work that has been done that can't be a bad thing.. Atleast the PO did everything at the dealer..

·
Registered
2000 and 2003 W220 S500
930 Posts
+1 to Skylaw's comment, but when I put my Arnott struts in, the ride in the '03 and 00 are the same in all modes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts