Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1982 300td wagon with 435,000 sold, 1984 300sd 230,000, 1980 300sd 113,000, 1983 300cd 260,000
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 82 wagon I put way to much weight in the back. I put flooring in and now the height came back but it will not raise when I put anything in the trunk. I do not want to start rebuilding or buying parts until I know what I screwed up. Before the incident when I went over a bump I got the rear end going up and down. That I assumed was the accumalators. I am prepared to buy them but I was wondering if I screwed anything else up?

·
Premium Member
1967 250 SL, 1965 300SE lang
3,063 Posts
On my 82 wagon I put way to much weight in the back. I put flooring in and now the height came back but it will not raise when I put anything in the trunk. I do not want to start rebuilding or buying parts until I know what I screwed up. Before the incident when I went over a bump I got the rear end going up and down. That I assumed was the accumalators. I am prepared to buy them but I was wondering if I screwed anything else up?
Are you saying that after a heavy load was put in and removed, your SLS no longer raises up when you put a heavy load in?

Going over a bump and the car bouncing (slowly) up and down sounds like it is bouncingon springs. If you go over a bump and the rear end of the car jumps aggressively up, that's accumlator(s).

Describe more completely what your car does and does not do with respect to the rear suspension. I seriously doubt that you put too much of a load in it -- when you did put the big load in it, did the suspension raise up to level while you were driving? If it didn't then it was not working to begin with. (which could be as simple as a disconnected linkage between the SLS valve and the car...

·
Registered
1982 300td wagon with 435,000 sold, 1984 300sd 230,000, 1980 300sd 113,000, 1983 300cd 260,000
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Prior to putting the flooring into the trunk the rear end would all of a sudden jiggle up and down. After starting up in he morning you could see the rear end rise. After putting in the wood flooring the rear does not rise after starting up. It has not sagged it is just barely level.

·
Premium Member
1967 250 SL, 1965 300SE lang
3,063 Posts
Prior to putting the flooring into the trunk the rear end would all of a sudden jiggle up and down.
When driving, or parked? Would it JUMP when you go over a little bump (= accumulators)?
After starting up in he morning you could see the rear end rise.
That means that your SLS valve is leaking internally. You can rebuild it, search the forum, I think the o-rings are a $5 kit. If your SLS valve is a total corroded wreck, get a different one and rebuild it.
After putting in the wood flooring the rear does not rise after starting up. It has not sagged it is just barely level.
So if I understand you correctly, your car doesn't pump up in the morning, but that's OK because it didn't sag overnight. This might mean that nothing is wrong, although inconsistent with your first symptom of it sagging overnight and pumping up when you start the car. The test: turn off car and quickly put 400+ pounds on the back of the car (have two big men sit there with feet off ground). Turn on car and see if car raises to normal. Leave car running, guys get off back of car, car lowers to normal. This would be the expected operation. This should happen even IF your car sags overnight. Sagging overnight = internal leak, which could be slow. Sagging could also mean that your springs have had too much on them. Also check to see if the SLS valve linkage is connected...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts